What got you into the Sisters then?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
djaeon
Road Kill

1994ish. I was looking for music that sounded like my favourite band, Type O negative. Someone suggested Sisters, and I loved it. My first album was Floodland. I was listening to Floodland the first time I had sex;)~
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

A hellhole called "El Agujero Negro" and marijuana.
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

In 1986 someone gave me the Temple of Love 12" for my 16th birthday. I had to buy the rest myself.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

My first boyfriend did me a tape with various bands on when I was 16, but was more taken by the Nephs to be honest (they were on the tape as well) :wink:
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

1985 FALAA tour - I was alreday very aware of the Sisters and their bootlegs - has a band without an LP ever generated such a proliferation of boot's?

missed the Sheffield gig through inertia - though JB went with his wife - and was instantly hooked - as a result we both took in the Manchester and Leeds gigs in the following week.

if I recall - "you have to see this band - smoke, lights, a wild guitarist (Marx) - everything you could ever need from band"

I even recall the promotional WEA stuff happen for the release of the LP too - a huge HMW window entirely blacked out save for a 20x20 inch gap opening into 20x 10 feet of FALAA - this was Sheffield 1985 BTW - HMV was on Pinstone St and the Sisters we on the up!

21 years later - where did that go - and to these ears - they still kick it!
Randall Flagg

1985 FALAA tour - I was alreday very aware of the Sisters and their bootlegs - has a band without an LP ever generated such a proliferation of boot's?

missed the Sheffield gig through inertia - though JB went with his wife - and was instantly hooked - as a result we both took in the Manchester and Leeds gigs in the following week.

if I recall - "you have to see this band - smoke, lights, a wild guitarist (Marx) - everything you could ever need from band"

I even recall the promotional WEA stuff happen for the release of the LP too - a huge HMW window entirely blacked out save for a 20x20 inch gap opening into 20x 10 feet of FALAA - this was Sheffield 1985 BTW - HMV was on Pinstone St and the Sisters we on the up!

21 years later - where did that go - and to these ears - they still kick it!
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

it was in 1992, I was in the house of one friend of mine and his brother was listening THIS CORROSION AND TEMPLE OF LOVE , i got impressed.

i was speaking whit him and he told me that was a band from leeds, that he was in wembley arena in 1990 and all the spanish shows in 1991 seeing them and they´re great.

then I bought A SLIGHT CASE OF OVERBOMBING,FLOODLAND,VISION.........
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
James Blast
Banned

Emma and TOL on the Peel Show then Boom Shanka! OGWT. My life was/is never/not the same, to this day. :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Anyanka Vengeance
Road Kill

My twin got me into them in 1998 after hearing Temple of Love, then I started going to the Shathouse, I mean Cathouse and they played their stuff every week. However I never got to see them until 2000. I used to have a cracking bikers jacket painted by an ex of Pat and Von on the back, dammit why did I sell it? I'm sure Lucretia Ravenflame was happy though! Whoever she may be.
Pissy Road Kill, I don't wanna be road kill...meh!
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There was an English dude named Jim who worked at my local record shop. I became friends with him and he turned me on to all the cool UK import bands. This was just after the ToL 12" came out, but for some reason I got the Reptile House ep first. Then ToL sold out and I waited until Body and Soul came out, got it. I must admit I wasn't a full on addict until Walk Away 12" (now one of my least fave songs, funny). Saw them play San Francisco in 85 with Jim (many of you no doubt have our bootleg of that show), and did the first US fanzine dedicated to them called "Romance and Assassination" in 1985. Thought it was all over after The Split... cried in my milk. Here I am 20 years later...
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
kitty_karate
Road Kill

For me it was when I saw the video for Dominion on some pop music show. I must have been about 14 and it was just so different from all the cruddy pop that was around at the time.
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

1988 - Two pretty girls put Marian on a mix tape for me, guess I still should be thankfull for that. Shortly after I bought FALAA on CD, which got heavy rotation on my parent's CD player (as I didn't have one). Then there was nothing.

1992 - Hearing Temple of Love at parties every weekend for years, I search for a copy of it. As SGWBM wasn't out yet, I was forced to search that piece of vinyl. I stumble into the strangest second hand record stores in downtown Brussels (and Scotland, woohoo, a goldmine!), rest of the story will be rather similar for most of us I guess. The virus bit me and I never cured.

1994 - Actually saved some money to buy new clothes, as for two years all of my cash was spent on vinyl and bootlegs. :wink:
hellboy69

Circa 1986, Chico's goth night in Hanley, Staffordshire (what a s**t but wonderful club that was) ~ that got me a-groovin' to "Alice" ~ went out and bought the 7" ~ still got it and ne'er shall part with it!

Soon after, my girlfriend at the time got me the Temple 12" as a gift and FALAA soon followed as soon as i'd saved up for it. Won't be parting with them records either. Every now & then i whip 'em out and give 'em a quick sniff... :twisted:

A few months later i got a job in a video shop & took WAKE home with me.

It's a familiar tale i know, but at least it has a killer soundtrack.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hellboy69 wrote:...at least it has a killer soundtrack.
One of the best ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Jaimie1980

I've admired TSOM for a long time but I'd say I've only been a fan for a few years. Probably became aware of them when I went up to uni. in London in '98. This Corrosion would probably have been the hook but I've since realised TSOM have produced much better work.

I'd previously been into Indie stuff but in comparison Sisters seemed much more ambitious.
mugabe

The Mishun, actually, in '87.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
wild bill buttock

By Andy t.g.

Went to first Proper "GIG" on September 22nd 1988 at Cardiff University to see Fields Of The Nephilim and was "Blown Away" aswell as being deaf for 3 days!

For years I had hair very much like Simon Gallup - bassist of The Cure, all Black Crimped and Backcombed (paying for it now - fast losing hair!)
Used to wear two pairs of ripped jeans - just like VON on This Corrosion video - was very proud of them. Bought exact copy of VONs leather Biker jacket - still wear it now - needs new pockets though!

I Still miss goth girls in black lycra leggings very very much ;-)

Ah yes nostalgia is a marvellous thing.My first Neph gig was on that tour as well and was the culmination of two brilliant weeks in which I saw The M'ission(sorry),All about eve,Red lorry yellow lorry and Fields of the Nephilim.Ecstasy! :)

I had a pair of those jeans as well!Were you a bullet or studded belt man?I favoured both and some studded spur thingies on my docs! :oops: .Fortunately I started regrowing my hair 2 years ago and was delighted to find it was all mostly still there ;D

And I too miss goth girls in black lycra leggings.My missus always wore them for years,when combined with thigh boots and short skirt ,the effect on me was staggering :eek: .She's all corsets and riding skirts now but after 3 kids and 16 years i can't complain.
Last edited by wild bill buttock on 10 May 2006, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
czuczu
Overbomber

Floodland - currently on my fifth copy due to light-fingered mates.. TOTP Dominion is a pretty standout memory. :von:
tooyoung
Road Kill

In high school I would always listen to the local college radio station, KCSU, as they would play Danzig, early Cult, and other stuff you didnt hear much on the radio. I still remember waiting at a red light in October of 1994, when this absolutely amazing song came on. When I got home I called the station and asked, "Who sings the song you just played with the choir?" The DJ replies, "The Sisters of Mercy."

Over the next week I called the station several times and requested songs by TSOM. They played WYDSM, which blew me away, as well as Lucretia. I went out and bought Floodland and Vision Thing, which I thought were great. It wasn't until I picked up FALAA several months later that I became a die-hard fan. One of the few albums I had head at the time where every single song was perfect.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

It was 1989. I was over my friends house. I had a black T-Shirt on and black jeans. My friends mum said "you look like a Goth". "A what?" I said. "They listen to stuff like this..." she says and put on Floodland.

A few weeks later I was scouring the Tape section of Andy's Records (no CD player in those days) and picked up Vision Thing. Then I "stole" the London Lyceum 31st Oct 84 boot off my friend and discovered the earlier stuff.

16 years later, I've got all the official releases and over 150 bootlegs...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dark
Underneath the Rock

tooyoung wrote:They played WYDSM, which blew me away
And so it should. The best a-side they released.
callmelightning
Road Kill

This Corrosion video played at "Video A Go-Go" a nite here in South Fl. I was forever changed.

Interesting fact that night I was also introduced to Peter Murphy so talk about a huge life changing experience...yeah.
Finn
Road Kill

i was at a friends house. he used to listen to black metal alot.
i dont know if anyone knows this yet, but mayor "black?" metal band Cradle Of Filth did a cover of No Time To Cry.

I dont like such music at all, though i liked the bassline loads. i asked him about the song and told the guy if Cradle would make more of those songs they would only get better xD
when he said the song was a cover i was slightly intrested.
i downloaded the original song (and i love 80's music) and the vibe of the song just got better then the cradle one. I bought the whole cd and well... i loooved it totally. within 2 days i bought all there albums xD :oops:
James Blast
Banned

Finn wrote:i dont know if anyone knows this yet, but mayor "black?" metal band Cradle Of Filth did a cover of No Time To Cry.
:lol: :lol: Oh! you so funny, I needed a good laugh today. :lol: :lol:

in fact I mean logic

monkey and stuff

Sorry. :oops:

such things make me smile
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Finn
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:
Finn wrote:i dont know if anyone knows this yet, but mayor "black?" metal band Cradle Of Filth did a cover of No Time To Cry.
:lol: :lol: Oh! you so funny, I needed a good laugh today. :lol: :lol:

in fact I mean logic

monkey and stuff

Sorry. :oops:

such things make me smile
hehehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: