About the fu**in smoke

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.

Too much artificial smoke?

Yes
11%
A little too much
7%
Typical Sisters
17%
Typical gothic
1%
I was in the first row
5%
No
16%
There's never enough smoke
43%

Total votes: 118
daggs
Amphetamine Filth

not bitchy at all :) it's your opinion and you make some good points

I still think the dry ice makes and amazing atmosphere though. But then again as I can usually see f**k all at gigs I tend to go to them for the atmosphere...enjoying music I love in a venue full of those that are likeminded! Adapting the venue with dry ice to fit the music would just better the experience for me.
I do admit they do go quite overboard with the smoke and when von cannot be seen for a whole gig its abit mad, But i can look at von on pictures and music videos, to be honest I'll be there for the experience, I haven't really paid to see them because I want to watch them in person performing coz in general bands aren't that interesting to look at!
"f**k me and marry me young"
Badlander
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote: A lot of people travel a long way and shell out a lot of cash to see TSOM, and all they get is a dry ice show with Von hanging around somewhere on stage (or in the bar with microphone in one hand and bottle in the other).
Not quite. What you want to see is a show, not the band members themselves. Sometimes the actual people are part of the show, sometimes they're not. Like if you attend a Kiss gig (God help us), what with all the make up and costums, you really want to have a good view. Or if Joe Satriani comes to town (God help us again), you'll be willing to see his geetar playing and his hand going up and down the neck of the instrument (no skin flute pun allowed). I don't think this rule quite applies to the Sissies. The visual aspect of the performance is the light show, which as I understand it is especially effective in all that smoke. But frankly, do you really need to see :von:, the person ?
The Sisters can do a good show without the use of dry ice, I’ve seen the footage (thanks lee :wink: ).

I can only agree.
Last edited by Badlander on 25 Mar 2006, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
DarkAngel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

There is something to be said for raw simplicity. Nevertheless, there are those of us who find that a little mystery enhances.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

There is not enough smoke...more please! :twisted:

We go to see The Sisters of Mercy...
We feel the soul of the music when TSOM play...
We party our little arse's off to the music...
We see the lights and feel the sound...
Therefore we need the smoke to cool down...
Or else people would pass out.

MB *had to do this one*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
godgirl

Barracuda wrote:
The venue they're playing in Barcelona has no smoking signs all over the place. Think that applies to the sisters? ;-)
they told me to stop smoking in phoenix as it was a non-smoking venue - but the security guy apologised for the irony of asking me since there was so much smoke coming from the stage!

non-smoking venues are SO F***** annoying if you're a smoker.

i hope there aren't many in Europe - tho I heard Columbiahalle is now non-smoking apparently but everyone ignores that - tho I'm missing Berlin due to some ***** goth festival

:evil:

marge xxx
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Badlander
Overbomber

godgirl wrote: non-smoking venues are SO F***** annoying if you're a smoker.
And so f**king convenient if you're a non smoker. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
aims
Overbomber

:notworthy:
_emma_
Overbomber

ailime wrote:
daggs wrote:
is it just me or has he gone from good looking long haired rock star to alopeesha (however its spelt) sufferer over the years :? I wouldn't knock his talent of course, he's a genius and thats what the sisters are all about.... but quite a dramatic change i must say!
i think he's quite sexy for a man his age :D
Quite, ailime :?: :?
Well daggs you're new here so I'll say it again especially for you, although I've said it about 500 times here already: he may be a genius, he may write unbelievably clever multi-layered lyrics, he may speak a lot of foreign languages and know a lot about philosophy and cognitive science.... Yet for some reason whenever I see him all I can think of is how great it would be to get ****** by him. :twisted:
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

_emma_ wrote:
ailime wrote:
daggs wrote:
is it just me or has he gone from good looking long haired rock star to alopeesha (however its spelt) sufferer over the years :? I wouldn't knock his talent of course, he's a genius and thats what the sisters are all about.... but quite a dramatic change i must say!
i think he's quite sexy for a man his age :D
Quite, ailime :?: :?
Well daggs you're new here so I'll say it again especially for you, although I've said it about 500 times here already: he may be a genius, he may write unbelievably clever multi-layered lyrics, he may speak a lot of foreign languages and know a lot about philosophy and cognitive science.... Yet for some reason whenever I see him all I can think of is how great it would be to get ****** by him. :twisted:

Your very umm...
Deep, yes deep would be the word to describe you. :innocent:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
13th earl
Road Kill

At the Birmingham Academy in 2001, there was NOWHERE NEAR enough smoke.
Von once described it as a place to lose yourself, and he was right. People who want to watch bands, please go and do so. We want a Sisters gig!
There are worse things than murder at the back of the mind.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

If I go to see a band, I want to see them. If I want to see smoke, I'll go to a barbeque.

But what do I know? I've not gone to see them. Nor will I.
Last edited by Dark on 01 May 2006, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

In Paris, they tried to put a lot of smoke but it could not stay, the hall was too big, then we could really see well the musicians and André :)
daggs
Amphetamine Filth

It should be quite smokey at the astoria (in my opinion a fine thing!) because the astoria is a fairly small-ish venue which doesn't go back very far because it seems to have quite a long stage...so von do your worst :twisted: should be fun... :lol:
"f**k me and marry me young"
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ladies and gentlemen... boys and girls... proudly presenting...

John Carpenter's 'The Sisters Of Mercy'

:D
iesus
Overbomber

nice pic that cover but it has small amounts of smoke in it....
There's really never enough smoke..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And as Andrew mentioned in some live performances: "We are the light in the end of your sorry little tunnel...."

Smoke and light effects are part of the artistic style they present at the show combined with their music and lyrics... :wink:

It reminds me the way that Antonio Vivaldi in 18th century Venice used to present his music in public.... 8)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
jay

I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Finn
Road Kill

Mhh hard one,
i must say the smoke gives a vibe to it

and second i like to add, to all the people brabling about
not seeying anything. . . i didnt mind . . . i mean
its about the music *bla bla* and that's still playing when there playing live.
(well i shoud be 8) )

i did vote for "too much smoke" just for the sake of me sitting at home RIGHT NOW because my lenses we'rent as "smoke preventing" as i thought which cost me eye damage and i couldend open my eyes last week for 3 days xD ill tell you THats fuckin rock & roll 8)