What got you into the Sisters then?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

Good to know design has an input to The Sisters gestalt. Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
A.void
Road Kill

I was depressed and though to myself "perhaps I'll be a goth"? Yep It worked.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Good answer, A.void. And welcome. :notworthy:
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A nice Catholic girl called Siobhan lent me F&L&A.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Syberberg wrote:A nice Catholic girl called Siobhan lent me F&L&A.
A nice Protestant girl called Christine lent me the 12" of Alice. And the Reptile House EP. And Temple of Love and Body & Soul and Walk Away and No Time to Cry and Lucretia My Reflection and Gift.

:notworthy: :kiss: (wherever you are)
анархия
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

:D it all happened in '84 when a girl called alice took me to the temple of love and told me that in'85 I would be the first and last and always. Started immediately the search for their other material : reptile house

:notworthy:
MUSICA È
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Got leant a copy of overbombing. And a post-it note with:

First and last and always: Gothy
Floodland: Accessible
Vision thing: Rocky
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Grison
Road Kill

A friend taped a lot of MTV/Sky/Superchannel music for me in the 80´s (87 or 88 i think) there was som TSOM vids and interviews, and I got kinda stuck to the TV for a while, got me LP´s of "Floodland" and "FALAA" which somehow got lost a few years later, Anyway, I found some music that really touched me, I guess...
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Firiend of mine had, had a fight with his girlfriend and had a ticket over to the 10th anniversry concert in Leeds. The rest is history....
mh
Above the Chemist

stefanmoermans wrote::D it all happened in '84 when a girl called alice took me to the temple of love and told me that in'85 I would be the first and last and always. Started immediately the search for their other material : reptile house

:notworthy:
I hope it didn't crash and burn shortly after? :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

Nah. That happens this Summer after he's Slept With All The Girls In Berlin ;)
mh
Above the Chemist

That'll be The Damage Done then.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

Subterfuge club in Brighton was my first brush with death....er, I mean the Sisters.

Walked in, a little aprehensive, as I was under age & tripping.
There was somoke everywhere & the most incrediblly pretty goth girls everywhere.
Alice was chugging out of the PA & I went out & bought all the vinyl I could the following Saturday.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

Pista wrote:Subterfuge club in Brighton was my first brush with death....er, I mean the Sisters.

There was somoke everywhere & the most incrediblly pretty goth girls everywhere.
Alice was chugging out of the PA & I went out & bought all the vinyl I could the following Saturday.
Proof, if needed that drugs are bad for you.
Just Say No! Kids
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:Subterfuge club in Brighton was my first brush with death....er, I mean the Sisters.

So who was Alice, and what did she have to eat that made her so sick?
Pista
Cureboi

It's still a little hazy, but could have been the club dog after eating a rather less than wholesome doner kebab from along the road.
:o)
Though what she was doing in the PA is still a mystery to me....
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
legrand
Road Kill

My intro was in May of this year. I Found them thru the NTTC video by Cradle of Filth who was helping me release my anger over my father dying of cancer. The first part of this year really sucked because I was head over heels in love with this girl who ended up cheating on me weeks after my Dad died in May. I was on bearshare getting COF videos and I ran across the Sisters of Mercy. Needless to say I was awestruck. I KNOW I forever will be a Sisters fan because of how meaningful this music truly is.
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Oddly enough, my first Sisters experience was a two part interview in a comic book magazine in 1984. The first part was with Hussey and Adams, the second one was all Von. The very first SoM song I ever heard was 'Marian', sometime in 1985 on Belgian radio. It struck a chord with me, because Von's voice was almost indecipherably low and the music was hauntingly dark, so it stayed in my mind, although I never got around to checking them out. When I started to go out later that year, though, 'Temple Of Love' had become a dance floor hit - I kid you not - at every party me and my friends attended. What was then commonly called 'New Wave' (incorporating the Girls, The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, Front 242, Bauhaus, Killing Joke and even The Smiths, just to name a few of the most known bands) was at its peak. I had been listening to heavy metal mostly in the years before (and got scoffed at because I voluntarily listened to the first Eurythmics album and liked it, and some other heavy metal 'faux pas' (metal heads should talk, right IZ? ;)), but these bands opened up a whole new dimension to me. Especially the Sisters appealed to the dark and brooding demeanor I already possessed in my teen years. I recall writing the following entry in my diary : 'The Sisters' music is as black as the vinyl it's printed on', which was what I was craving to hear at the time, so I went out and bought the Temple Of Love 12". And I still crave for it to this day. Only, nowadays I just write it myself. Another teenage dream come true, I suppose. Anyway, 'Temple' was and still is a fine song, but the song that gives this forum its name struck the biggest chord within me. To this day, when someone asks me what my favourite Sisters song is, I say 'Heartland', even though my personal views on life relate more to, erm, 'More'. Still, 'Temple' got me into the Sisters, but 'Heartland' made me want to keep them around. That's what got me into them...
Snakes
Road Kill

Good Thread!

When I was much, much younger I remember seeing some of the Corrosion video on tv, i had no idea who they were, and after a while i couldnt even remember what the song was like...but the images were pretty much burnt into my brain forever.

Fast foward to 2003, ive just started seeing my girlfriend (who im still with incidentally) and she has a Sisters poster on her wall, im looking at it thinking "is that the band i saw?" and asked if i could borrow a cd. She lent me A.S.C.O.O and that was it. The riddle was solved!
wretched
Road Kill

a mates elder sister was playing FALAA in her bed room back in 1986. I borrowed it and, as they say, the rest is history. Up until that point it had been the 4Ad acts mainly - cocteaus, TMC and DCD - which are still huge favourites.

I didn't get to see TSOM until the VT tour, hated thw album barring about 3 songs, but loved the live show.

Wretched
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

I found 'Reptile House' whilst looking through my father's records. I loved the imagery so I played it and loved it.
I came home from school one weekend (too early) and found my father and his friends getting off to FALAA whilst tripping. Since then they have had a special place in my heart.
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
replicant
Road Kill

I got into the sisters in a roundabout sort of way.
I think it was back in about 1983 my mates and I were looking at some art created by the older kids. One pupil had painted what I now know to be the the sisters logo. I asked my mates what it was and they explained it was just some crap band. I accepted that and thought no more about it, even though I really liked the logo. We were all just into chart stuff, never got the opportunity to listen to anything else. I never really liked it that much, but it seemed as though that was all there was. It was easier to just find OK stuff I could like, just so I wouldn’t stand out as being the only kid who didn’t like anything.
In 1986 all the kids were talking about the worst song ever made was going to get to number one. It ended up at number 3, it was Love Missile F1-11 by Sigue Sigue Sputnik and I couldn’t help myself, I loved it. My friends were wrong, I began to wonder what else they’d been wrong about.
A few months later I saw a full page ad in Smash Hits, yeah, I know, I’m sorry, what can I say, I was young. Anyway, I nearly ignored it because I thought it was for Michael Jackson, but then I saw the star logo, a memory was jogged. I made sure I’d listen out for them. I didn’t have long to wait, I heard This Corrosion on the chart countdown and it was like nothing else I’d heard. Top of the Pops, they were like nothing I’d seen or heard before. It was amazing. And then came Dominion, which really sealed it for me, but I held back waited to hear more. Lucretia, well, that was it, I just had to buy the album.
Then I wondered if they’d done anything else. Found FALAA at the library, played it once, then went out and bought it the next day, the only tape ever I thought was too good to copy. And I was pissed off too, because when I checked the dates, I was listening to crap back then. Instead of listening Now 5, I could have been listening to this, if only I’d known.
I was totally hooked and just had to get as many Sisters records as I could. Unbelievably, I met a girl called Marianne at college who lent me Reptile House, Body and Soul and Alice. That just added to the whole getting into the sisters experience. Shame she had an insanely jealous and possessive boyfriend.
Hearing the Sisters changed the kinds of people I called friends and it made me more curious and interested in music. Now, I always try to listen to new stuff, even though I know I’ll never hear anything else that touches me in the way Sisters songs do.
Only bad thing about liking the sisters is, no-one else does. I’ve only ever met 4 people in my entire life that like them, so it’s nice to know there’s a couple of thousand out there, somewhere.
Crap, sorry this is so long, I didn’t mean to tell you my life story!
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

first i've known about Sisters in an article about Depeche Mode's first visit to Russia (September 1998)
they were mentioned as an example of dM's past support band
later that autumn i got "Beauty in the Darkness vol.3", including Temple of Love 1992 video
i considered it to be stupid, too rapid picture-motion there and nothing interesting
except the man with a special nose :von:
he looked so serious
anyway, i liked the song much
i respect Ofra Haza, but, actually, i prefer the version without her renditions
but, nevermind, - i liked it
so that was the only Sisters' song for me for next 6 years :D
2 years ago one girl gave mp3 CD with all albums
so gradually i've started to understand the band (first time it was hard, indeed)
and about 1-1,5 years ago i've realized that i'm really fond of that groovy non-g*** machine
great!
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

replicant wrote:I got into the sisters in a roundabout sort of way.
I think it was back in about 1983 my mates and I were looking at some art created by the older kids. One pupil had painted what I now know to be the the sisters logo. I asked my mates what it was and they explained it was just some crap band. I accepted that and thought no more about it, even though I really liked the logo. We were all just into chart stuff, never got the opportunity to listen to anything else. I never really liked it that much, but it seemed as though that was all there was. It was easier to just find OK stuff I could like, just so I wouldn’t stand out as being the only kid who didn’t like anything.
In 1986 all the kids were talking about the worst song ever made was going to get to number one. It ended up at number 3, it was Love Missile F1-11 by Sigue Sigue Sputnik and I couldn’t help myself, I loved it. My friends were wrong, I began to wonder what else they’d been wrong about.
A few months later I saw a full page ad in Smash Hits, yeah, I know, I’m sorry, what can I say, I was young. Anyway, I nearly ignored it because I thought it was for Michael Jackson, but then I saw the star logo, a memory was jogged. I made sure I’d listen out for them. I didn’t have long to wait, I heard This Corrosion on the chart countdown and it was like nothing else I’d heard. Top of the Pops, they were like nothing I’d seen or heard before. It was amazing. And then came Dominion, which really sealed it for me, but I held back waited to hear more. Lucretia, well, that was it, I just had to buy the album.
Then I wondered if they’d done anything else. Found FALAA at the library, played it once, then went out and bought it the next day, the only tape ever I thought was too good to copy. And I was pissed off too, because when I checked the dates, I was listening to crap back then. Instead of listening Now 5, I could have been listening to this, if only I’d known.
I was totally hooked and just had to get as many Sisters records as I could. Unbelievably, I met a girl called Marianne at college who lent me Reptile House, Body and Soul and Alice. That just added to the whole getting into the sisters experience. Shame she had an insanely jealous and possessive boyfriend.
Hearing the Sisters changed the kinds of people I called friends and it made me more curious and interested in music. Now, I always try to listen to new stuff, even though I know I’ll never hear anything else that touches me in the way Sisters songs do.
Only bad thing about liking the sisters is, no-one else does. I’ve only ever met 4 people in my entire life that like them, so it’s nice to know there’s a couple of thousand out there, somewhere.
Crap, sorry this is so long, I didn’t mean to tell you my life story!

Don't be sorry, that's a great story there. Much better than the "it was 198-- and ---- lent me a copy of --- and the rest is history." Like mine was.
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Well let me tell y'ol folks .........it was a way back in the last millenium 1983 if my memory serves me right........a dj (that would be an MC for all you young'ns) by the name of Kid Jensen played 'Alice'..........bought the 12" went to the shows and didn't listen to much else for the next 20 years. There you go.