goffs origins

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:And Death Metal nearly succeeded...
Bollox! that just sounds like a load of shopping trolleys falling down a lift shaft! ;D
That's Black Metal, James. Death metal sounds like listening to your stomach after a 7-course dinner with a stethoscope.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

<---none the wiser, but then I'm old and gave up after thrash/speed metal ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

ormfdmrush wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
ormfdmrush wrote: &#1089;&#1072;&#1084; &#1075;&#1072;&#1085;&#1076;&#1086;&#1085;
English please otherwise it'll be Fuds all round :roll:
[translation]: "you're a condom, too"
maybe, you will NOT be calling me fud, eh?
Not at all.....................

&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:<---none the wiser, but then I'm old and gave up after thrash/speed metal ;D
It was NWOBHM for me...
James Blast
Banned

Jeez! ye mean y've never seen and heard Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer et al Dave?

<cough> Metallica <cough>
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Jeez! ye mean y've never seen and heard Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer et al Dave?

<cough> Metallica <cough>
Oh aye, just thought they were pish that's all - dutifuly went and bought the first Anthrax record as it had good reviews and nearly crashed the car laughing at how awful and cliched it was..I'm sure some of it has merit but lost the will to try. Struck me very much as style and technique over content.

Each to their own though :)

(edit) - And I do realise some of that stuff means a hell of a lot to some folks which I respect, just not for me.
mh
Above the Chemist

Among the Living is still an all-time great. Most metal bands from a certain era don't really hit their stride until their third anyway.

Has nobody mentioned Black Sabbath yet? That first LP is awesome stuff - totally un-metal and weird and twisted stuff.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
ormfdmrush wrote:
weebleswobble wrote: English please otherwise it'll be Fuds all round :roll:
[translation]: "you're a condom, too"
maybe, you will NOT be calling me fud, eh?
Not at all.....................

James Blast
Banned

nae, yuo misunnderstake uss
~ Peter Steele
OverThe Rainbow
Road Kill

mh wrote:
Has nobody mentioned Black Sabbath yet? That first LP is awesome stuff - totally un-metal and weird and twisted stuff.
and still sounds great :D
&#1055;&#1088;&#1080;&#1096;&#1077;&#1083;, &#1091;&#1074;&#1080;&#1076;&#1077;&#1083; &#1080; &#1091;&#1096;&#1077;&#1083;...
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

First goth record as far as im concerned was Devils Grip by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown released in 1967 , that directly influenced Sabbath, Alice Cooper ect.

And the first band with the concept of Drum Machine driven music (ie what the sisters/violetsd did and all its deritivies) goes back to the album Journey by Kingdom Come in 1973.....

Matt
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Suprised Led Zep wasn't mentioned. Or Television. Or Sinatra for that matter.
Road Kill

Let us not talk of awful things...
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
Andie
Overbomber

allfear wrote:First goth record as far as im concerned was Devils Grip by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown released in 1967 , that directly influenced Sabbath, Alice Cooper ect.

And the first band with the concept of Drum Machine driven music (ie what the sisters/violetsd did and all its deritivies) goes back to the album Journey by Kingdom Come in 1973.....

Matt
i think you'll find that bands in the last rush of punk weren't that choosy with their infulences...

if you take the music we call post punk/new wave as being the forbears of the music loosely termed Goth then you'll find that with all things there had to be a catalyst...something that was new and inventive that stretched boundaries...

what you're asking me to believe is that bands who use a drum machine are influenced by Kingdom Come...where as i suggest that they're more likely to be influenced by bands like Human League and Cabaret Voltair who were pushing the boundaries of the drum machine in the late 70's...while they (HL and CV) may have cited Kingdom Come as forbares it doesn't mean that bands from Leeds in 1981 would also...in the same way as people say that Iggy and the MC5 influenced punk and the Pistols...yeah cool...but the Pistols were then the major influence on bands that followed...the so called second wave...

in short while you have the originators...you don't necessarily have the original influences...the music of Sabbath and Alice Cooper is far removed from the world of goth music in my point of view...where as punks second wave is far closer in both style and attitude...and influence

this is where things get blured as this is only my opinion from where i stood in 1979 as a 15 year old...the bands who influenced me and the music that inspired me...i wasn't trying to reinvent past glories...i wanted new ones...now today as i look back i can see more of the relevance in seeking out the past...but it wasn't a consideration then

hugs
andie
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Wait, so this was a silly thread?! What fool shouts "who started goth?" to a bunch of sisters, siouxsie and joy division fans and expects Madonna as an answer. These people are dangerous, dangerously serious when it comes to taking themselves too seriously :wink:
Nationalise the f**king lot.
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

hey, i didn't expect Madonna! :von:
she's a grindcore drummer, not goff
James Blast
Banned

I posted a thread (another Blast one that died at birth) about Kingdom Come and their Bentley Rhythm Ace album Journey c.2004.
Now some of you remember that album?

Baisturts!

<-----peeved :evil:
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:Now some of you remember that album?
No.

I do remember the thread though James 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

No-body mentioned King crimson's first album yet?If In the court of the crimson king ain't goff as fukc I'll eat my own dusty hat.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
mh
Above the Chemist

Hem hem.

Devil at the crossroads. Goff as fook.

Case closed.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Badlander
Overbomber

mh wrote:Hem hem.

Devil at the crossroads. Goff as fook.

Case closed.
:notworthy: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Johnny Cash
  • Wore black.
  • Sang about heartbreak and loss.
  • Is dead.
None more goth. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

you're on the right road, men 8)
mh
Above the Chemist

Well, it's about doomed love 'n' death 'n' stuff, but the colour is all wrong. Make your own mind up:
Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.

Chorus:
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,
And who but my lady greensleeves.

Your vows you've broken, like my heart,
Oh, why did you so enrapture me?
Now I remain in a world apart
But my heart remains in captivity.

chorus

I have been ready at your hand,
To grant whatever you would crave,
I have both wagered life and land,
Your love and good-will for to have.

chorus

If you intend thus to disdain,
It does the more enrapture me,
And even so, I still remain
A lover in captivity.

chorus

My men were clothed all in green,
And they did ever wait on thee;
All this was gallant to be seen,
And yet thou wouldst not love me.

chorus

Thou couldst desire no earthly thing,
but still thou hadst it readily.
Thy music still to play and sing;
And yet thou wouldst not love me.

chorus

Well, I will pray to God on high,
that thou my constancy mayst see,
And that yet once before I die,
Thou wilt vouchsafe to love me.

chorus

Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu,
To God I pray to prosper thee,
For I am still thy lover true,
Come once again and love me.

chorus
Big Si
School Bully

:notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy: :notworthy: Wally! :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis