Rose of avalanche

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Any-one else remember them?
I gave my music-cassette(Remember them) version of "Never another sunset" a listen today and the tape snapped :evil:
I never thought they made the transition to record from an excellent live act and most of the time sounded like a second rate rawk band.When they did hit the spot they were brilliant though ("Too many castles","Always there" and "lights on" to name a few).
But my most abiding memory of them is some complete tool trying to tell me that Rose of avalanche were the drummer out of the Sisters of mercy's side project :eek: .When I informed him that the good Doktor was a drum machine,he replied "well some-one has to switch it on and off" :lol: :lol:
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
scotty
Overbomber

I saw them a couple of times back in the Day, no' bad but no' great, I gave Derek R a live DVD of them, I prefer Flesh For Lulu.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I saw them on the list of inspirations on Rosettas myspace page. I was curious and checked out the website. I didn't give them much time to be honest, any RotA fans wanna rant about them so I have something to go on?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

gimmie some loving is a great song..but then it's a cover
Goths have feelings too
Spiggy's hat

Maisey wrote:I saw them on the list of inspirations on Rosettas myspace page. I was curious and checked out the website. I didn't give them much time to be honest, any RotA fans wanna rant about them so I have something to go on?
Yes, they were superb............but I'm guessing that you are looking for more than that.

From 85-87 they released a conveyor belt of under rated alt rock classics, although at least half of them suffer from really cheap production, and a not very good drum machine.

They (IMO) peaked in 1986, and put on a great show (with human drummer by now) supporting The m*****n on the World Crusade tour in Oct/November that year. By now they had signed to Fire records, and as much as I hate Fire they released 3 great singles in 86/87 'Too Many Castles', 'Velveteen' & 'Always There'.

Around the time of Always There (early 87) they were approached by various majors, and tried to leave Fire which resulted in a legal nightmare that stoped them releasing anything for 18 months. They played a few low key Leeds gigs in the summer of 1988 under the name of 'Absolutely Anything', and Fire released an album of unfinished demos with the appalling title of 'In Rock'

By the time they finally released their 1st proper album in early 1989, the general consensus (even amongst fans) was that they had missed their window, and they never really recovered. They stumbled around the pub/small club circuit in the UK for a few more years with an ever changing line up, before finally splitting in 1993?

'LA Rain - The Singles Collection' would be the perfect starting point, for anyone investigating Leeds 2nd best band. :wink:
Give me one good reason
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote: 'LA Rain - The Singles Collection' would be the perfect starting point, for anyone investigating Leeds 2nd best band. :wink:
Leave Red Lorry Yellow Lorry out of this! :twisted:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
James Blast
Banned

Nic wrote:Leave Red Lorry Yellow Lorry out of this! :twisted:
... and The Three Johns...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

"Her Fatal Charm" is the one song I can remember really sticking out of their otherwise relatively grey puddle. was a nice one though.
Immodium for the people
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Nic wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote: 'LA Rain - The Singles Collection' would be the perfect starting point, for anyone investigating Leeds 2nd best band. :wink:
Leave Red Lorry Yellow Lorry out of this! :twisted:
Monkeys on Juice - (Heartlander Leeds Contingent)
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
James Blast
Banned

weebleswobble wrote:Monkeys on Juice - (Heartlander Leeds Contingent)
you're just making up names now :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock

You're derailing my thread here,you rotten bastards :evil:

Anyway back to Flesh for Lulu.f**king hated them.Not neccesarily for the music even though it was a bit poppy for me,but the fact all the birds I fancied all fancied the singer out of Flesh for Lulu instead of me.
I mean I was a highly attractive proposition in 1984.What woman in thier right mind could resist an unemployed,semi alcoholic speedfreak with an embarrassing line in home made red indian outfits that he thought made him look a bit like Ian Astbury.God I was a twit.

I'm rambling again arn't I?
James Blast
Banned

Rave on, preach Brother!
Revr'nd Image
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

James Blast wrote:
Yes I know, awful thing a fertile imagination :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

weebleswobble wrote:
James Blast wrote:
that reminds me, must put some sheeting over the compost heap now that winter draws on... ;D
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

James Blast wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
James Blast wrote:you're just making up names now :|
that reminds me, must put some sheeting over the compost heap now that winter draws on... ;D
cheeky wee bugger, yur tea's oot! :lol:
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
James Blast wrote:you're just making up names now :|
TOP TIP : Try some old, smelly carpet instead of a sheet. That usually keeps the imagination rotting over winter. :!:
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Arch Deviant wrote:
James Blast wrote:
weebleswobble wrote: Yes I know, awful thing a fertile imagination :innocent:
TOP TIP : Try some old, smelly carpet instead of a sheet. That usually keeps the imagination rotting over winter. :!:
Right-Class Action! ;D
James Blast
Banned

Arch Deviant wrote:TOP TIP : Try some old, smelly carpet instead of a sheet. That usually keeps the imagination rotting over winter. :!:
Gardener's Question Time is it? :lol:

Anne Swithinbank said : Rose of Avalanche supported The Mission when I saw them. They looked like nice young boys, firm, good roots but unfortunately I was in another 'allotment' when they were performing so I only saw them say "G'night Glasgow" and walk off stage. It was the QMU, so you natives with a similar climate will understand. :|
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

AAAhhhhh the QMU :notworthy: (back in the day)
Ramone

I saw the The Rose of Avawank a few times 'back in the day ' too, in the same vein as Rosetta they were a bit 'too influenced' by their peers and I'm afriad this was their down fall. They where always in the shadow of the Sisters.

But the upshot of it was, because they were a mediocre band they always made the Mishun look just that little bit better every night!

But out of the bands from back then, Balaam and the Angel always seemed to be the perpetual support act of the day, the same way the Almighty were in the '90s - for every rock band you went to watch (Motorhead, Faster Pussycat etc..) .

Which could open a whole new thread..best support acts of their time who almost stole the show.

I'll start.. Ghostdance, Chat Show and Rosetta Stone supporting Danielle Dax ( the tale of us being asked not to perform at Rock City in Nottingham is legendary)..
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
wild bill buttock

Why in the name of Christ would you have gone to see "Faster pussycat"?
And you reckon Rose of Avalanche were crap?
Compared with all that LA sleaze/glam metal bollocks,The Rosies were Led Zeppelin.
scotty
Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:Why in the name of Christ would you have gone to see "Faster pussycat"?
Compared with all that LA sleaze/glam metal bollocks,The Rosies were Led Zeppelin.
I went to see Faster Pussycat 'cause The Almichty were support 8)
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Andie
Overbomber

scotty wrote:
wild bill buttock wrote:Why in the name of Christ would you have gone to see "Faster pussycat"?
I went to see Faster Pussycat 'cause The Almichty were support 8)
Likewise

it's a Scottish thing :notworthy:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Never seen a show stealing support band, for which I am glad, its always nice to scoff at a rubbish to support and save your energy for the main act...although Edguy supporting dragonforce were good ( they are a much older band, with more respect in those circles, but unfortunatly couldn't draw in the kids like the force can)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
canon docre
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:Never seen a show stealing support band, for which I am glad, its always nice to scoff at a rubbish to support and save your energy for the main act...
saw plenty of them. one remarkable to remember was certainly the first ever Rammstein tour, supporting Project Pitchfork. A look in the faces of the PP guys told me, they havent had any clue, what hit them so hard. :lol: :twisted:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.