The Metaphysical Principles of the Infinitesimal Calculus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Bill Drummond.
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Flipin 'eck! 19 replies..............I was expecting James Blast but hey! Hello everybody!
It IS a book by Rene Guenon in which he talks abouts Leibnitz' Infinitesimal Calculus the crux of which is that number has been reduced to its quantitative aspect rather than it's qualitative nature which explains why the mathematics of the ancients is so unintelligible.............I think. But hey dont worry as we all follow Von and his humanistic tendencies we can dismiss this thread altogether......................I was just bored and suffering from MLC..........and work is crap!.............. my wife has left me...........and work is crap! (btw this thread started in the sisters chat see 'serpents kiss')
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

It's a book by Rene Guenon - Bizarrely, someone bought this for me for my birthday.

That's not bizarre - clearly someone had to get you a present but couldn't be bothered so gave you a book that they wished they hadn't bought and probably didn't understand :D
James Blast
Banned

EmeraldSignal wrote:I was expecting James Blast
am I so predictable? :oops:
sorry about all the badness that has been happening to you, why not vent yer steam in here http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 043#295043

keep the faith
James
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

OK!
James Blast
Banned

EmeraldSignal wrote:OK!
please calm down, we are a help system, y'know :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

EmeraldSignal wrote:in which he talks abouts Leibnitz' Infinitesimal Calculus the crux of which is that number has been reduced to its quantitative aspect rather than it's qualitative nature which explains why the mathematics of the ancients is so unintelligible.............I think. But hey dont worry as we )
and hence the eye of horus; the golden ratio and all. god, even ferns and shells can work it out :P
Goths have feelings too
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

EmeraldSignal wrote:It's a book by Rene Guenon - Bizarrely, someone bought this for me for my birthday.

That's not bizarre - clearly someone had to get you a present but couldn't be bothered so gave you a book that they wished they hadn't bought and probably didn't understand :D
But you didn't give me it :lol:

PiB Perhaps you should try talking to the shells and ferns, they might explain to you what the book is actually about - :urff:
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
paint it black

Arch Deviant wrote:
PiB Perhaps you should try talking to the shells and ferns, they might explain to you what the book is actually about - :urff:
perhaps, i haven't read the book, that i'll admit, but i have studied Leibnitz work as part of one of my degrees, which included advanced calculus and chaos theory :?

as i recall, the nautilus for example is contructed of a golden ratio which forms, by extraction, into a golden spiral...but also, it's just a very old and very pretty shell :(
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dark wrote:Bill Drummond.
Dollis Hill
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

paint it black wrote:the golden ratio and all. god, even ferns and shells can work it out :P
I see a good number of human beings in Glasgow city centre who can't.

Spoken as someone who would make vitruvian man weep in her utter perfection, of course... :innocent:
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:
EmeraldSignal wrote:OK!
please calm down, we are a help system, y'know :|

Hi,
My name is Paul and I'm addicted to HL!
:lol:
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:
Dark wrote:Bill Drummond.
Dollis Hill
Trash Bin Avenue? :roll:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:perhaps, i haven't read the book, that i'll admit, but i have studied Leibnitz work as part of one of my degrees, which included advanced calculus and chaos theory :?

as i recall, the nautilus for example is contructed of a golden ratio which forms, by extraction, into a golden spiral...but also, it's just a very old and very pretty shell :(
Excellent :D So as you have read Leibni(t)z you will know as a rationalist you don't need to read the book, you can just acquire the knowledge through thought and pure reason :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Um. Observation is needed too is it not? About all it's possible to derive from thought and reason alone is Descartes' cogito ergo sum

Or am I putting Descartes before de horse?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Um. Observation is needed too is it not? About all it's possible to derive from thought and reason alone is Descartes' cogito ergo sum

Or am I putting Descartes before de horse?
"I am thinking, therefore I exist" applies to our conscious existence. Leibniz proposes that experience is unneccesary - all can be derived from thought alone, as all is God.
Last edited by Arch Deviant on 07 Dec 2006, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

There was one great rationalist: Spinoza. I am terribly grateful for Descartes, even though his philosophy is somewhat flawed, who, in influencing Malebranche, influenced Spinoza's Pantheism.

Just thought I'd pipe in with that... harrumph.
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

Without a doubt, Descartes, Spinoza & Leibniz are great rationalists and worthy of great respect. :notworthy:
paint it black

i rate kant, though he was a wee bit silly. strange childhood never revovered. fully
Goths have feelings too
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Guys! guys! all of these fings we are talking about can only be grasped by the faculty in man which is higher than reason, which, has gradually become atrophied since the time of around the Renaisance...........I think. The golden ratio apparently occurs throughout nature and was used in buildings........ well so what? As we are all NOT goths here we should all understand what the profound effect something like the golden ratio should have upon us..............otherwise like me yer thick. (thickly veiled that is).............(your seven veils unfold give me forbidden places.....).......I had a better day at work today and my wife came back.
James Blast
Banned

Glasgow Central (low level)
~ Peter Steele
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

Sleep is a lonely thing, James - especially there!
Andie
Overbomber

Arch Deviant wrote:Sleep is a lonely thing, James - especially there!
aye...and it's a hell of a lot less comfy than the Intercity lounge in Bucchanan Street Bus Station...IIRC :wink:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
eotunun
Overbomber

There is shadow under this red rock