Bands you have discovered for yourself this year

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
aims
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:
@Si: Shriekback are The The done properly. Where Matt Johnson starts out promising but evens out, they just keep going. [Note: Comparison based on "Big Night Music" vs "Soul Mining" and "Oil and Gold" vs "Infected"]
I want some of whatever you were drinking when you wrote this. :lol:
Which bit are you questioning? There is a definite resemblance, even if it's not that strong :von:
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

ormfdmrush wrote: no 'star' behaviour
that's the main
He's an unbelievably nice, friendly, normal guy. I felt bad walking into the Gents and interrupting him while he was brushing his teeth, and a bandmate was shaving. One of those moments, I suppose, that reminded me how un-glamorous the touring life can be. He's is a very friendly man--much moreso than one would expect from his Satanic Vegas-Era-Elvis on Crack stage persona.
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Beirut
Black Mountain
Clipse
She Wants Revenge
Peter Bjorn and John
Neu!
The Knife
Heavy Trash
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

aims
Overbomber

And before I forget again, the Pet Shop Boys, courtesy of Korin ;)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Also got into Talking Heads and Diamanda Galas a bit more this year.
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Oooh yeah, I forgot about Diamanda Galas and Hanin Elias
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

boudicca
Sister Midnight

Clock DVA as well

And I rediscovered Joy Division
Badlander
Overbomber

Most notably, loads of soul music (including doo wop). 8)
And Johnny Cash.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
christophe
Overbomber

Fad Gadget - Johnny Cash - psychedelic furs - suicide - MC5 - GOJIRA - the Velvet underground - James ray ****** - Alien Sex Fiend - colour haze - ....

these are some of the bands I really have gotten into the pas year. there are many many others who I could add but these are the top of the pops :D
Another Shade of You.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Secret Machines
Death From Above 1979
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

these, 2 days ago.

Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
robertzombie
Overbomber

The Smiths/Morrissey
Joy Division
The Mission
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: - the even more fecked up sounds of VENETIAN SNARES,
:notworthy:
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

Arch Deviant wrote:these, 2 days ago.

Woven Hand?
James Blast
Banned

@ Libs nice idea for an end of the year poll, but I haven't turned myself onto any new sounds, I have been enlightened to some knockout tunes from many good Heartlanders, Claire + Pat for rekindling my Paradise Lost flame, The Mighty Z of Antwerp for Klaus Schulze and Red Sparrows, Arayeph for his own work, scotty for always delivering some fantastic gems from The Forres Taxi Archive not least Play Dead and The Chams, Grison for some quality NIN footage, and Jansenclone + Pat for some quality product from The Sisters Archive.
@ mh, nice to see VDGG hit the spot Image
@ The Big Yin, Blast will sort you :D
@ IZ, you've retained your place as the world's greatest living Belgian for some new works by FGG and blowing ma heid apart with some dark ambient sounds available here. :D :D

If I missed anyone, please forgive but you really are a very generous lot round here. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nice to see the virus known as Shriekback spreading. :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Chicks on Speed. Just the wrong side of painfully bizarre sort-of-alt-rock. I've been feeling too, mmmm, comfortable with bands, so to hear a group that only has a casual attachment to music, chord structure, lyrical balance, etc. etc. is exciting and new!
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

My most interesting find this year is Mushroomhead. :twisted:

Here are a few examples >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma91hIACGH0 < great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9bpna1ymP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8aDDanKMjk < newest muzak
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

ormfdmrush wrote:

Woven Hand?
16Horsepower
sultan2075
Overbomber

Arch Deviant wrote:
ormfdmrush wrote:

Woven Hand?
16Horsepower
Bloody great band. I have been a fan for going on ten years. David Eugene Edwards has a very distinctive sound, and his vocals are consistently good. Never got to see them, unfortunately. If you like them, you might want to check out Jay Munly's Jimmy Carter Syndrome. It got less fire-and-brimstone, but it ups the creepy factor quite a bit. I'm pretty sure most of 16 HP guest on it as well.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:Bloody great band. I have been a fan for going on ten years. David Eugene Edwards has a very distinctive sound, and his vocals are consistently good. Never got to see them, unfortunately. If you like them, you might want to check out Jay Munly's Jimmy Carter Syndrome. It got less fire-and-brimstone, but it ups the creepy factor quite a bit. I'm pretty sure most of 16 HP guest on it as well.

Thank you, I shall check them out.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

The singer out of 16 horsepower sounds a lot like Kirk Brandon, don't you think?
James Blast wrote:@ Libs nice idea for an end of the year poll
I done it last year, no-one thought I was clever! :cry: :P

Hmph! Libs is admittedly just cooler than me though... :notworthy: :wink: :kiss:
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

boudicca wrote:The singer out of 16 horsepower sounds a lot like Kirk Brandon, don't you think?
James Blast wrote:@ Libs nice idea for an end of the year poll
I done it last year, no-one thought I was clever! :cry: :P

Hmph! Libs is admittedly just cooler than me though... :notworthy: :wink: :kiss:
Indeed she is...... :P
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
sultan2075
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:The singer out of 16 horsepower sounds a lot like Kirk Brandon, don't you think?
No, but that's because I've no idea who Kirk Brandon is. Care to enlighten me?

(for the record, I always thought he sounded like Patsy Cline in a weird, not-even-remotely-alike-but-there-is-something-about-it kind of way)
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

sultan2075 wrote:
No, but that's because I've no idea who Kirk Brandon is. Care to enlighten me?

(for the record, I always thought he sounded like Patsy Cline in a weird, not-even-remotely-alike-but-there-is-something-about-it kind of way)
He's the chappie out of Theatre Of Hate (and later Spear Of Destiny). I don't know, the first time I heard 16 horsepower I was racking my brain trying to think "where have I heard that voice before?"

Not that that's meant as a criticism. He doesn't sound exactly the same, there's just a timbre.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Motz wrote:And before I forget again, the Pet Shop Boys, courtesy of Korin ;)
You're welcome, I guess.
And for Foetus too. :urff: