Temple of Love "new" live version

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

Can someone tell me when and why they started the live version they've been playing the last few years? the one without the guitar intro, but starting with the beats. i think its a pity that the guitar intro got lost, imo it was one of the best guitar parts in rock history....
This is not revenche, this is punishment
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

it was played whiout the guitar intro in 1996. and nowadays is teh same version!!!

i miss the guitar intro as well!!!
Badlander
Overbomber

Why ? Same as slow Body electric I guess : they wanted something new, but didn't want to drop the song altogether. Or they'd got bored with the song and decided to tweak it a little to make it fun again.

So no, I don't have a definitive answer.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the version they play live these days is essentially 2nd half of the full 92 version (sans Ofra, of course).

why?

well, the song has been around for years and its very repetitive, so maybe by trimming it down to the end segment, which is basically the core content of the song, they still get to play it for the fans, but manage to keep it down to a respectable 3 minute version.

lets face it, the drum & guitar intro lasts an age, and the bridge/break down in the middle would be a bit boring live as there's nothing to sing and dance along with.

and there's a hell of a lot of words in the song. cutting it in half saves von's vocals (and thus our ears) from even more torture :lol:

also, the sisters these days seem to want to do all their older songs as fast as possible (i.e.: anaconda, amphetamine logic, first & last & always), and usually in a slightly trimmed-down style (omitting verses, intros, etc)

it follows that something as long and repetitive as temple of love would therefore be cut down to a shorter and more manageable 3 minutes (or whatever it is - probably less!)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:the version they play live these days is essentially 2nd half of the full 92 version (sans Ofra, of course).

why?

well, the song has been around for years and its very repetitive, so maybe by trimming it down to the end segment, which is basically the core content of the song, they still get to play it for the fans, but manage to keep it down to a respectable 3 minute version.

lets face it, the drum & guitar intro lasts an age, and the bridge/break down in the middle would be a bit boring live as there's nothing to sing and dance along with.

and there's a hell of a lot of words in the song. cutting it in half saves von's vocals (and thus our ears) from even more torture :lol:

also, the sisters these days seem to want to do all their older songs as fast as possible (i.e.: anaconda, amphetamine logic, first & last & always), and usually in a slightly trimmed-down style (omitting verses, intros, etc)

it follows that something as long and repetitive as temple of love would therefore be cut down to a shorter and more manageable 3 minutes (or whatever it is - probably less!)
Thank you, Herr Quiff - i still miss the intro but at least i understand why they dont play it. :urff:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"i still miss the intro"

me too :|
lachert
Overbomber

this short temple of love is poor, really :urff:
i hate when they play it on the end of gig :evil:
long live rock'n'roll
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

I just listened to the "new" version again (Silverbullet Nottingham) and quite liked it. But still, that old intro gave me shivers down my spine which the new one doesn't... But Temple remains one of my all time favourites :notworthy: .
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

its probably all a matter of time restraints basically,
:von: knows the original (and NOT the'92) version is
a belter but its either play the full version in place of
two other songs, or play it haw they have been AND
have time to fit in a bonus warble!
even if it is 'hes got the whole world in his hands'
OMG!!!!
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Navarre
Road Kill

On a funny note, last week during a dj set in a small club in my hometown, the intro for the 83' version was cut in the same live fashion to make it flow with the previous songs, and not to kill the dance-floor. I guess the same applies when they play it live.
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

I'd say they play different live versions so they can't be accused of just letting a tape do the work while 3 actors on a foggy stage pretend to be the latest incarnation of the Sisters ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dead_Rock wrote:I'd say they play different live versions so they can't be accused of just letting a tape do the work while 3 actors on a foggy stage pretend to be the latest incarnation of the Sisters ;)
its a valid point :!:

although it if thats the reason it doesnt seem to work :lol
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote: its a valid point :!:

although it if thats the reason it doesnt seem to work :lol
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
Don't make fun of the Sissies!
:twisted: