New WINDOWS.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

Yup. And everyone who had hassle with Service Pack 2 will be delighted to hear that Service Pack 3 is scheduled for next year.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

mh wrote:Yup. And everyone who had hassle with Service Pack 2 will be delighted to hear that Service Pack 3 is scheduled for next year.
:eek:

I must buy one of these before SP3 is released:

(courtesy of the very wonderful ThinkGeek shop)
James Blast
Banned

... no, I'll leave it...

Cox's Pippin, anyone...?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:
mh wrote:Yup. And everyone who had hassle with Service Pack 2 will be delighted to hear that Service Pack 3 is scheduled for next year.

:notworthy:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

buy one for scotty
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:... no, I'll leave it...

Cox's Pippin, anyone...?
Given that OSX has gone through 5 upgrades since 2001 (each upgrade costing just under £100), with a sixth on the way, I think it's probably wise to leave it this time! ;)
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

When I moved up to the north east (where I am now) I was walking up the driveway with packing boxes in my hands, still moving my stuff into my then girlfriends place. I'd not even got the boxes in, nevermind unpacked them, when the neighbours came out for a nose, sorry, natter. Once they knew I worked with IT stuff I was booked up to check over their daughters PC before I'd even checked into the house ! :roll:
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
eotunun
Overbomber

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:Once they knew I worked with IT stuff I was booked up to check over their daughters PC before I'd even checked into the house ! :roll:
:lol: :lol:
That´s the way it goes..

By the way, here is a very happy Ubuntu user! 8)
It took me a while to get use to it, but I wouldn´t want to miss it anymore.
There also is quiet a bit of audiostuff available, without DRM-wank.
For example Hydrogen, a nice Software drumcomputer/Sequencer program that will use any wav or flac file as instruments, puts out midi.. Surely not exactly what you need for professional work, but it´s FREE!
The software for Ubuntu comes from The Universe/Multivers channels, and you will get everything you need for daily use. And more.
You can install via DPM (Debian Package Manager) everything that works under Debian (As Ubuntu is a Debian derivative) which says you have thousands of programs available.
The usual installing of software is even easier than with Windows.
It may get tricky using the terminal. You have to use command line and sudo for that. GUI fixated users will not like it, but I found it works nicely enough, and the root rights, which are necessary to do anything to your system are only in power for a few minutes, so no viruses or trojans or anything have a chance to instal themselves on the drive.
A fine OS.
There is shadow under this red rock
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Trust me, if Linux came with a decent alternative for Cubase, I would not hesitate... :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Dan
Overbomber

sistersvisions wrote:Dont do it just yet, wait till they iron out all the problems.

Give it a couple of months
+1

I'd wait a year or 2 for them to plug the security holes, issue service packs and the like. Then download a cracked version with all the s**t (such as DRM) removed.
James Blast
Banned

Cox's Pippin, anyone...?
Given that OSX has gone through 5 upgrades since 2001 (each upgrade costing just under £100), with a sixth on the way, I think it's probably wise to leave it this time! ;)
No arguements here Paul, ya spot-on-Khunt!
... but as a semi-pooter savvy type myself, I find it hard to believe the general (Big Brother watching) public didn't latch onto Mac OSs (way pre Big Brother and tabloid hell) a long time ago. It really is more intuitive, admit that?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

James Blast wrote:

Cox's Pippin, anyone...?
No arguements here Paul, ya spot-on-Khunt!
... but as a semi-pooter savvy type myself, I find it hard to believe the general (Big Brother watching) public didn't latch onto Mac OSs (way pre Big Brother and tabloid hell) a long time ago. It really is more intuitive, admit that?
Be glad, James. Otherwise YOU wou be the laughing stock of HL with a 1 million different OSX Trojans to clean and a DRM problem ;)

IZ.
Ghost
Road Kill

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:
Ghost wrote:
sistersvisions wrote:Dont do it just yet, wait till they iron out all the problems.

Give it a couple of months
Exactly, as there are minor issues to solve on the app sides too for compatibility, not to mention the lack of some drivers or full acceleration on them (as with audigy cards etc).
Audigy, you say ?

That would, at best, be stuffed latency with my Audigy card/interface & Alesis Photon controller.

/makes note to self to pat XP on the head and stick with it or ruin Cubase setup......
At least eax acceleration with older models was broken, currently there are only xi-fi drivers supporting it via openAL wrap, but a2 and a4 are left out for now. For ASIO I don't know who is current support.
I didn't even take the plounge for xp x64 (the OS I'd use now) because thrustmaster keeps delaying x64 drivers for the hotas cougar.
mik
Chameleons Guru

Personal experience of the betas (hurrah for MSDN!) for the last year has been largely positive.
Last version I installed was the Release Code version which I installed on an Athlon 1700 with 512MB RAM and it worked fine, and in fact pretty much any PC running XP with a graphics card with 128MB of memory will run the full Aero interface. Also dual boot installed this on my Dell Laptop (Latitude D820 / 1GB RAM / Centrino Duo) and it easilty outperformed the XP SP2 installation in the other partition on all apps including Office 2003 / 7, Adobe Studio CS2, Macromedia Studio 8 although it wouldn't run Visual Studio 2005 so I needed to Get VS2007.
Can't say I've experienced any problem with memory usage - especially in idle - although CPU does go up when in idle to create the indexes used for the desktop search (think Copernic or Google desktop search). Once the initial indexes are created it only needs to do incremental indexes so this is next to nothing.
Would I upgrade my own machine? Well, I would except that the soundcard I have (Hercules Game Theatre XP 7.1) doesn't have any Vista drivers. I emailed Hercules support who said that they're not going to bother writing drivers for legacy hardware.
So; I'm being held back by the lazy arsed component vendors rather than by Microsoft.
Also; can't say that there are enough real benefits to want to shell out upwards of £100 on an upgrade when you can get a lot of the 'bells and whistles' stuff like WMP11, IE7, Desktop Search etc either as official enhancements or equivalent 3rd party freeware offerings.
Personally I'd wait until you need a new 'puter and then get it preinstalled with a guarantee that all the components have working drivers for it. In fact that's exactly what I am doing, unless I decide to get a new iMac when the new version of osX is released that is ....
Something pithy.
James Blast
Banned

~ Peter Steele
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

I've no idea what any of you are on about, but I would like to point out that mh's new avatar is bloody funny. Any computer that can knock that up is fine by me. :D

Continue...
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Dan
Overbomber

I've only just discovered that OS X is pronounced "OS TEN". I'd always read the X as the letter of the alphabet, having never heard anyone say it out loud until a day or 2 ago.
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

there's new WINDOWS???????
Izzy HaveMercy

IZ.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

New windows, new doors, new f*cking roof-just can't afford it :urff:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:I've only just discovered that OS X is pronounced "OS TEN".
:lol: Not by me it's not. While, obviously, I know that the X is the Roman Numeral for 10, and that OS X is the successor to OS 9, I still pronounce it "Oh Ess Ex".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:
Dan wrote:I've only just discovered that OS X is pronounced "OS TEN".
:lol: Not by me it's not. While, obviously, I know that the X is the Roman Numeral for 10, and that OS X is the successor to OS 9, I still pronounce it "Oh Ess Ex".
A lesser known fact is that Windows XP was initially called 'Windows 10p', named after its true value.

That one got fecked up just like OSX...

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mik
Chameleons Guru

Planet Dave wrote:I've no idea what any of you are on about, but I would like to point out that mh's new avatar is bloody funny. Any computer that can knock that up is fine by me. :D

Continue...
Is that a youngerer, gofferer Herr Quiff on the far right of yours? :innocent:
Something pithy.