"Playing God"

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

No, it's not a new computer game.
Yahoo News wrote:Scientist to create artificial life

Scientists are on the verge of creating the world's first artificial life form, it has been reported.

Craig Venter, a DNA researcher, has built an entirely synthetic chromosome - a sequence of genes - and plans to implant it in an existing cell.

If he succeeds he and his team will have created an almost entirely new life form for the first time.

Researchers hope the discovery will lead to developments in bio-engineering to help tackle climate change, or provide alternative energy sources.

It will also provoke widespread debate about the ethics of "playing God" by creating new species.

Mr Venter told The Guardian newspaper that creating the new life form would be "a very important philosophical step in the history of our species".

"We are going from reading our genetic code to the ability to write it. That gives us the hypothetical ability to do things never contemplated before," he said.

Mr Venter's team is the first to create an artificial chromosome. It is 381 genes long and has been named Mycoplasma laboratorium.

The scientists hope to implant it in to the cell of another bacterium to create the artificial life.

The resulting bacterium will rely on the molecules of the host cell to reproduce, but will otherwise be entirely artificial.
анархия
Pista
Cureboi

:eek:
Catchy name.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

What's it got to do with climate change and energy sources???????

And climate change is natural anyway.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

This is stupid. And anyone with an iq of about 100 would be able to figure out not good, but to idiots they will be able to sell it with idiotic lines like it will help with climate change!

And i agree with Almiche V.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
christophe
Overbomber

I don't see the harm in what they are doing now, maybe it could lead to roads that we don't want to take.
but is it not best to try and understand these things? and the only way to do so is to push further with this kind of research.

Besides, the whole ‘playing God’ title might be suited on a theoretical level but in fact it is nothing more than very advanced crossbreeding.
It brings up a different question, ‘What is life?’
Another Shade of You.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Sounds fine to me - although I do agree that their claims of potential future applications are completely unsupported.

Just because, after years & years of additional research, this science may lead to us being able to do something unethical doesn't mean we should not use it to do good stuff, as with all scientific advances.

"Playing God"? Yes, there should be ethical restraints on scientific research, but what on earth has that got to do with a mythical deity?
christophe
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:"Playing God"? Yes, there should be ethical restraints on scientific research, but what on earth has that got to do with a mythical deity?
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

could not agree more
Another Shade of You.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

will it be fat free?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't mind it - scientific progress in all areas is inevitable, and if we can get this right it's quite an achievement for humanity to be proud of.

Trouble is we've screwed up so many things in the past. I can just see some egghead in the Pentagon thinking "genetic weapons... hmmm".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Almiche V wrote:What's it got to do with climate change and energy sources???????

And climate change is natural anyway.
I could be wrong, but I think that refers to the farting cows who are apparently "responsible" for a large amount of the noxious gases that are being released into our atmosphere :lol: ... I heard something about some scientists wanting to tinker with their guts... Heaven forbid that we should solve that one by just cutting our consumption of meat farmed on an industrial scale, so there wouldn't be such an enormous number of flatulent farm animals in the first place :roll:

Regarding this "advance" in itself - I tend to see these things as inherently neutral, they can in theory be used for benign, even helpful things. They could also begin any number of slippery slopes when placed in the hands of short-sighted human beings.

Playing God doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned - man versus nature is a nonexistent battle IMHO, we are part of it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

We should work towards getting rid of our animal bodies instead of creating new "improved" ones... :roll:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I hear that...I fantasize constantly about getting rid of my meat carcass and uploading my consciousness into the 'net... :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Not really :twisted:

IZ.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: wouldn't mind her euh it :roll: lifting me out of the bed in the middle of the nigth and do some experimenting on me :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
MUSICA È
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Such an innocent lad... ;) :P :innocent:
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
in contrary to the izzmaster :twisted:
MUSICA È
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

stefan moermans wrote:
SINsister wrote:
in contrary to the izzmaster :twisted:
...and me... :twisted: ;)
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

anyway, this is old news. they tried it almost 50 years ago and it worked :eek: And we all know the result, it sometimes wonders around on this forum, isn't it James Blast :twisted: :twisted:

Wonder how long it will take for him to react :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MUSICA È
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

:eek: Uhhhhhh...
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

If it's OK for God to do it, then it must be for us too. He is a supremely good being who does nothing wrong, after all.
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Excellent! I want me a dog-headed herring as a pet for while I'm living in my house made of strawberry flavoured bricks.

{the above line is partly in jest but partly true in view of the possible things that could come to pass}
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:Excellent! I want me a dog-headed herring as a pet for while I'm living in my house made of strawberry flavoured bricks.

{the above line is partly in jest but partly true in view of the possible things that could come to pass}
There's already a monkey-headed ass running the White House, and you can buy strawberry-flavoured candles.

Almost there.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:Excellent! I want me a dog-headed herring as a pet for while I'm living in my house made of strawberry flavoured bricks.

There's already a monkey-headed ass running the White House, and you can buy strawberry-flavoured candles.

Almost there.

IZ.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MUSICA È
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress