Bangin' ch00nz of the Year 2007

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Corinthian
Road Kill

The one cd I have played to death over the last few months has been Apoptygma Berzerk - Sonic Diary, just loved most of the cover versions.

Apart from that, most of the music of 2007 has been influenced by the live music I’ve managed to see, List Gerrard, Subhumans, VNV Nation & Mesh all get a regular turn on the car autochanger.

A few individual mentions for Swans – Sealed In Skin, Diamanda Galas - Sono L'Anticristo & Crass – Reality Asylum.

Michael
You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Blimey Corinthian.. haven't seen you around for a bit. :)
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Blimey, not an easy one, once again, but here goes nevertheless! (another game of my taste is better than yours, anyone? ;D)

Plenty of new discoveries once again, really wonder where I'd start, but the first thing I came across - apparently - was Robert Wyatt and Soft Machine, excellent stuff I like to listen to on any occasion really! Moreover, prog-wise, I found out about Utopia, Zappa, Magma, Organisation (well, early Kraftwerk is probably quintessential Kraut, but I don't think I'll make a separate categorie for that this time), Acid Mothers Temple, 13th Floor Elevators, Yes and Caravan. Pretty much every song being as good at it was long ;D

After that I've gone more electronic, checking out the KLF (and side projects) as well as Aphex Twin - good stuff. 808 State, Cougar, Boards Of Canada The Orb and Leila were other great electronic discoveries of 2007, with the first band probably being my favourite amongst the three. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen, we are floating in space is another fresh favourite, with Cop Shoot Cop pretty much being the perfect end to that album.

The first real new (new? god forbid!), recent thing came in the form of 120 days, still think they delivered an utterly brilliant album :notworthy: Quite soon they were followed by Porcupine Tree and The Young Gods' new albums, fantastic quality, just had to check out their previos work as well as a consequence. The Rapture (Infatuation = top song) and Four Tet were the next to follow in the range of bands of these days. But certainly one of the Top Discoveries was UNKLE's War Stories has been playing rather often and I do not regret that, pure beauty :notworthy:

Soul-wise I kicked of with Curtis Mayfield's Superfly, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and Terry Callier's What Colour is Love, all rather brilliant as well. Not to forget Roy Ayers' Everybody Love the Sunshine and Sly & the Family Stone's There's a riot going on.

Then the eighties, Swans - Various Failures, Propaganda - Secret Wish and Devo (Mongoloïd = wow!). Some early Einstürzende Neubauten, Comsat Angels and more importantly The Associates, probably one of my favourite discoveries of 2007 (Party Fears Two :notworthy: Simple Minds were a rather astonishing discovery too, never expected them to have produced quality albums like Empires and Dance (check out I travel!), Talk Talk were great too as were The Sound!

Classical next with LaMonte Young and Gorecki, Cage, Stockhausen and Alexandre Rabinovitch-Barakovsky

The utterly superb and visionary first album of Silver Apples is another top 2007 discovery too. Bloody shame they made so little quality output. Several more insane things like Charles Manson and Diamanda Galas, but let's not also forget the crazy Chinese Rockstars from the 60s I managed to bump into :lol: Alva Noto is probably the silliest real new thing I got into, beautiful soundscaping, possibly the 2007 Klaus Schulze, found that rather amazing :notworthy:

Hope this one didn't bore you too much, tried to cover about half the new things I bumped into, and on top of that I want to abuse the occasion to thank everyone involved into making me discover these bands. You know who you are :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

you are welcome, I scored 8 out of 35 :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:you are welcome, I scored 8 out of 35 :D
And you will probably have to add some more to that after tonight as a certain package's arived :D :notworthy:

Didn't go so far as to count them myself though :eek: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

Ah! I see you have the machine that goes PING! :D

well I ken there's twa movies in there but the 3rd disc of audio, well I can't remember what's on it :oops:

and my latest nomination for "Best in Class" goes to -
25men for their demo, MySpazz and "pay for d/l" tunes

wish I'd seen them in Leeds a couple of weeks ago :(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

tonight's "Best of Breed" goes to -

but it was not to be :|

back tray art
Image :|

this is wan feckin' great album and needs to be heard :notworthy:
~ Peter Steele
christophe
Overbomber

to bad james :(
but I hear 2008 is going to be a real good year.
a lot of bands have new albums comming up!
FGG, ARF, 25men, Bauhaus, Anne Clark, ... TSoM . :innocent: ;D
Another Shade of You.
James Blast
Banned

well Marooned on Samsara by Ahráyeph is a killer and it has a release date
~ Peter Steele
christophe
Overbomber

Voila 8)

that FGG record will be released someday and I'm looking forward to it just as much as you, even more as I haven't actually heard the album yet :|
Another Shade of You.
James Blast
Banned

it won't have the same/proper cover :(
~ Peter Steele
psichonaut
Overbomber

i have a doubt about the "Blaast Production" ;D
...what does it means james? ;D
Last edited by psichonaut on 22 Dec 2007, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
James Blast
Banned

psichonaut wrote:i have a doubt about the "Blaast Production"
PM me then
~ Peter Steele
christophe
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:it won't have the same/proper cover :(
ai :(
I know/ heard.
to bad about that, it really looks nice (and I don't just say that because your bigger than me) :wink:
if it was up to the IZ man, we both know what cover would be picked.
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

christophe wrote:
James Blast wrote:it won't have the same/proper cover :(
ai :(
I know/ heard.
to bad about that, it really looks nice (and I don't just say that because your bigger than me) :wink:
if it was up to the IZ man, we both know what cover would be picked.
Y'all fookin well ken, indeed :evil:

Just to keep things going, there is a reason we put some of the new songs up on the MySpace pages. We are busy doctoring out some routes we can take, but some of them might be too expensive :|

Then again, January 1st is known to be a day of unexpected incomes when visiting parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles ;)

I guess it is safe to say that 2008 will see an FGG issue. If not the full CD that's baking in the sun for almost three (!) years now then something else ;)

BTW didya receive the PortaStudio James :?:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
scotty
Overbomber

Chemical Erection :eek: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Izzy HaveMercy

scotty wrote:Chemical Erection :eek: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Wrong thread, Scotty.

The Slightly Happy Today-thread is just over there...

IZ.
scotty
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Wrong thread, Scotty.

IZ.
I get a Guinness Erection.................. :wink:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Izzy HaveMercy

scotty wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Wrong thread, Scotty.

IZ.
I get a Guinness Erection.................. :wink:
My Man! ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D

Naught chemical 'bout Guinness, genuine Draught, kills all Diseases!

IZ.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Corinthian wrote:The one cd I have played to death over the last few months has been Apoptygma Berzerk - Sonic Diary, just loved most of the cover versions.
Ooh sounds interesting. :eek: 8) They do indeed knock up a good cover. :notworthy:

Late entry - Cobblestone Jazz - India In Me. Tune of the year. 8)
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Late entry - Cobblestone Jazz - India In Me. Tune of the year. 8)
Ooh, that's Mathew Jonson & friends, no? :D
Haven't heard their stuff, but wanting to :wink:

@ Z: what a top post sir! :notworthy:
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

what's yir score Mr. K? ;D
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Well... here goes:

2007 has been a pretty good year for some of the old guard.
New albums of Dinosaur Jr (they sound pretty much the same as ever, but how I love that sound!), PJ Harvey (another change soundwise, once more an interesting trip), Aphex Twin (as The Tuss) inna oldschool electro kinda fashion, Einstürzende Neubauten (although I liked the previous one beter) and the Young Gods (oh my god! Yesss! Jah Bless!) were all tops and have been on high rotation at home & beyond 8)

Slightly fresher kids on the block, like Explosions in the Sky (wicked live band too), Maserati and Red Sparowes released beautiful music and made the emo kid within very happy :D

On the demo front I really enjoyed 25 men and Ahràyeph tracks. I cannot wait for their albi to drop! ;D

Best of the best this year is, without a doubt, Burial's Untrue. Pure bliss for my ears & soul :notworthy:
Closely followed by Meshell Ndegeocello's The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams (what a woman! what a groove!)

Of course all my old records of mighty fine peepz like The Skatalites, Curtis Mayfield, Gun Club, Funkadelic, Ramones, God Machine, Joy Division, Madrugada, Lee Perry, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, etc, etc, etc were dusted off from time to time and put on the wheels of steel :wink:

Oh yes, and I'll get the rough treatment for this, but Amy Winehouse's Back To Black is a damn fine album too... :innocent:
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

I saw the "Rumours" line-up of Fleetwood Mac

I have the concert ticket and programme should proof be needed ;D
~ Peter Steele