My leathers are sh@gged - any suggestions?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I have a biker jacket that I bought almost 20 years ago (and yes, you b*stards - it still fits me :lol: ) that is at this point completely sh@gged. The lining is ripped everywhere, the pockets have holes in them, and most of the zips have lost their handle-things.

However, it saw me through my yoof and is completely broken-in, and it does have some reasonable artwork and stuff on it, so I'm loathe to bin it. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it might cost to renovate it (new lining, new zips), or if there are alternative uses to which it might be put? I've not worn it since the Silver Bullet tour but like I say, it would be difficult to part with.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Need i say what i think about devotion to a ... jacket?

Grow up!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Andy Christ 666
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

You could probably get the zips and lining repaired, I had one done a few years ago, cost about 20 quid. :D
Pista
Cureboi

itnAklipse wrote:Need i say what i think about devotion to a ... jacket?

Grow up!
So you did need then. :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Andy TG
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:I have a biker jacket that I bought almost 20 years ago (and yes, you b*stards - it still fits me :lol: ) that is at this point completely sh@gged. The lining is ripped everywhere, the pockets have holes in them, and most of the zips have lost their handle-things.

However, it saw me through my yoof and is completely broken-in, and it does have some reasonable artwork and stuff on it, so I'm loathe to bin it. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it might cost to renovate it (new lining, new zips), or if there are alternative uses to which it might be put? I've not worn it since the Silver Bullet tour but like I say, it would be difficult to part with.
@ EB - I have exactly the same problem - in fact I have two - i have two biker jackets that need new linings / zips.

I was thinking of getting the lining and zips myself and paying a cobbler / shoemaker to sew it all together. I am pretty sure a dress mistress wont be able to sew through leather.

If you make any headway on this project be sure to keep us all informed ;D
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Andy Christ 666

You could try....
http://www.johnsoncleaners.co.uk/servic ... epairs.htm
Who also do...
http://www.johnsoncleaners.co.uk/servic ... rCycle.htm
I think they were called Sketchleys when I had mine done, about 12 years ago.
The linings still in good nick and the zips still work. :D
golfinggoth
Road Kill

buy a new one :P
mondays child is fair of face
Andy Christ 666

golfinggoth wrote:buy a new one :P
You could, but getting it repaired is probably more cost effective plus old, broken in ones look so much better.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I'm with the Necromancers, it's better to bring stuff back from the dead.

Good luck EB. Looking forward to some pictures!
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

If you can't save the jacket and have to bin it, then cut off/out all the artwork into patches ect, or the whole back if it's just that. Then either sew them onto a new jacket or maybe frame the pieces for the memory?
Captain Ahab rushed in, his craziness all unzipped......

" YER NEED TO DO MORE SEX! " ~ Drunken old Yorkshireman

http://www.sadeian.org/
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Andy TG wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:I have a biker jacket that I bought almost 20 years ago (and yes, you b*stards - it still fits me :lol: ) that is at this point completely sh@gged. The lining is ripped everywhere, the pockets have holes in them, and most of the zips have lost their handle-things.

@ EB - I have exactly the same problem - in fact I have two - i have two biker jackets that need new linings / zips.

I was thinking of getting the lining and zips myself and paying a cobbler / shoemaker to sew it all together. I am pretty sure a dress mistress wont be able to sew through leather.

If you make any headway on this project be sure to keep us all informed ;D
Snap - but I was quoted £50 for a new lining by an alteration company in the Granite City! :(
It's scabby, it's worn, but it's served me well, particularly when I lived in some of the more dodgy areas of Aberdeen.
It always pays to look more like the mugger than the muggee!

I dunno - maybe we should put them out to competative tender?