Sisters live in Burgas, Bulgaria, Fri 15 August ?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
aims
Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote:will i dream seems part of the setlist? Great vocals, again.
And so it should be, especially if it sounds like that! :notworthy:
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

_emma_ wrote:... and I'd add: he just was present there. Sometimes you can see that he is there on stage, but it's apparent that some vital parts of him (like heart, soul, mind, thoughts, feelings, etc...) are elsewhere. Sometimes he's totally onehundredpercently present, but these occasions are very rare. I'm not saying that Burgas was one of these rare occasions, but it was definitely very close to it. 8)
Oh yes... 8)
You can't fix stupid.
maxr
Road Kill

Just back from Burgas so have not had the advantage of reading other people's views - and I'll leave them with the setlist.

I watched from the vip/press tent (accidentally walked into it and, seeing it was a good thing with sofas after an all night flight, elected to remain).

From their, the sound benefited from the mixing board distance, so I thought was excellent.

Arguably better than Tienen - but sure others will have different views. Sounded more like the Portugal set but have not compared the two.

Highlights:

1) Excellent guitar work on FALAA, generally crisp sound from where I was perched;

2) Snub Nose/Top Nite - I am sure Von's voice seemed to break when he announced "Mr Ben Christo and the legendary Chris Catalyst" - there was certainly some upper octave action going there.

3) Ben's amusing attempts at guitar widdling at set conclusion and encore conclusion - while I think he has really grown into the role, hopefully Von will have a word about that;

4) Where I was standing, the moonlight "Floodland" style reflection onto the sea; and

5) finally, met a charming Bulgarian journo called slav who had his little notebook autographed by Ben, Si and whoever did the lights.

He could not make out or understand what Si wrote:

"Ben and Chris are lovers".

It took some explaining, despite his excellent English, to hammer the point home - and then explain it was meant as a joke.

Excellent gig - and Burgas a very friendly - if beastially hot - place.
maxr
Road Kill

Oh, and as a ps - Von's vocals and indeed the backing vocals well up at the top of the mix. I don't know why they don't seem to do that elsewhere as a general policy.

They seemed well received by the locals I spoke to, too, if the festival was only moderately attended.
maxr
Road Kill

Given up reading the thread - stunned by the usual crap sound references.

Those who push to the front, with the hope of seeing our fearless leader (despite knowing the policy regarding smoke and lights) will invariably lose the benefit of clarity of sound - it is ever thus as they are bang in front of the speakers.

Those knowing this, or feeling too old to do so (or wishing easier access to beer - I qualify for all three) and who stand near the sounddesk, will find a much better sound - not always, admittedly, but normally.

I enjoyed that benefit (albeit off to the side this time) and the sound was excellent. I felt the gig was better than Tienen, although both were excellent, and both have demonstrated that this line-up has potential.

Obviously doomed to be unrealised in the recorded media field, but there you go.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Nice...thanks for your re-views :D
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

maxr wrote: Those who push to the front, with the hope of seeing our fearless leader (despite knowing the policy regarding smoke and lights) will invariably lose the benefit of clarity of sound - it is ever thus as they are bang in front of the speakers.
Those knowing this, or feeling too old to do so (or wishing easier access to beer - I qualify for all three) and who stand near the sounddesk, will find a much better sound - not always, admittedly, but normally.
This is nonsense. If you actually did go to the front row of any gig at least once to check, you'd find that usually the sound is excellent there. It was for the band who payed before The Sisters in Burgas. It was for the band who played in Porto before The Sisters. It was for the band who played at Greenfield 2006 before The Sisters. Etc. ad infinitum.
Yes, the sound varies from position to position, granted. But not that much. Had you been to 107 Sisters gigs as I have, and had the action onstage been more important than access to beer, you might have noticed that, too. As for policies regarding smoke and lights, had you gone to the front you'd even been able to see that there wasn't much smoke. As somebody else said somewhere else: nowadays you can even spot the Nurse in the background - which I think is good.

Oh, and just for the record: Von isn't my fearless leader. There's only one leader for me - myself. And actually I'm quite fearful sometimes.

For sound references see Eggi's post which is to follow. Then we can talk again if further questions arise.
Last edited by Eva on 19 Aug 2008, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.
Eggi1
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

here 2 audio samples from the show(F&L&A-Still):

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=11AG8B0L(Front Row)

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=Z3L5ZIW5(Between Stage & MX-desc)

now we can talk about the sound....
266 GIGS
34 COUNTRIES
over 200.000 MILES

and i want more ...

Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York City
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

:lol:

Nice samples, though.

Must say that when i saw them in 2006 i was at the front, and enjoyed both a better view of Andrew than i would've had from afar, and great sound. Plus recordings that some always-at-the-front people make are generally from very good to excellent :)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
eotunun
Overbomber

ImageImageImage
The Sisters with a Samba Rythm Combo! :D
ImageImageImage
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

why you put your equipment under the pillow ? - still
clap your hand and say yeah ? - Falaa
valeryg
Road Kill

came back today and just posted another FALAA on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJu9r9mmrm8

sorry for poor sound:)

and the setlist.....

sisters-pics
Road Kill

The DreamLocation...

The Sisters Of Mercy Rocks The Black Sea:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wpl3K9xi4

The Best Location Ever...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Eggi1 wrote:here 2 audio samples from the show(F&L&A-Still):

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=11AG8B0L(Front Row)

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=Z3L5ZIW5(Between Stage & MX-desc)

now we can talk about the sound....
OMG it's a snarebasedrum - it must be a feature, not a bug^^
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

:D thank you all for the videos and audio and the photos :lol:
Last edited by Little_Sister on 19 Aug 2008, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
sisters-pics
Road Kill

.... and everybody waiting for the photos from "sisters-pics"...

I know them :!:
sisters-pics
Road Kill

eotunun
Overbomber

After listening to the Youtube videos and Eggi's recordin I get the impression that appart from the public vibrator the sound was rather excelent.
And the band seems to have had a really good night. No miracle: "We like to play where it's warm and the bars never close", hm? :wink:

If there had been a couple of people sitting on the barrier for ..one reason or anther, that might have muffled the Samba-sound generator somewhat.
People simply are too well behaved.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

cool
guns & cars & accidents
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

valeryg wrote:came back today and just posted another FALAA on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJu9r9mmrm8

sorry for poor sound:)

and the setlist.....

Well... No "we are the same..." ! haven't had that for years.
guns & cars & accidents
Lyris
Road Kill

heya all

Just found this short interview with Chris Catalyst and Ben Christo on the net and thought most of you would like to see it (not sure if it's been posted already)

http://artdnes.blog.bg/viewpost.php?id=224471

The gig in burgas was an awesome experience. Thank you all for the video links and pictures. :)
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

Lyris wrote:heya all

Just found this short interview with Chris Catalyst and Ben Christo on the net and thought most of you would like to see it (not sure if it's been posted already)

The gig in burgas was an awesome experience. Thank you all for the video links and pictures. :)
WOW, really cool! Thanks a lot for the link!!! And welcome ^__^ Lyris !
made in the 80s
Patti82
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Lyris wrote:heya all

The recording of the show seems great. Would be great to get a full set but I guess that is not possible. :cry:
James Blast
Banned

Thank you very much Lyris, we still have no answers 'tho, do we?
:notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

i like them chaps Ben & Chris. Maybe the most fans-supportive and... young. They were 0 when the Reptile House opened up. Funny.
guns & cars & accidents