Marian & The Temple of Love

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
TomK
Road Kill

Howdo chumps. This would be my first post here in about eight years.. Last time I was here I think I wound up a bunch of ye too much and ye were threatening to jump to yer graves to haunt my soul or something retarded like this.... good riddance I thought if any of ye were serious about it.. :roll: Anyway, I'll behave this time. Two questions: What album can I get with the cover of Marian on it? I absolutely love the SOM version of it. Also I heard a great version of Temple Of Love on the radio a few days ago by some industrial metal band...... Can anyone pin them down for me?

Peace out. :innocent:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOEbJdgEc2g

creaming jesus

next! as i think you'll find the 'they' like to write around here

there are of course others of each available to google :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Nic
Slight Overbomber

TomK wrote:What album can I get with the cover of Marian on it?
And here I though this was a Sisters song all along? :wink:

And welcome back.
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Hahahaaaa.

This man has more brains than 90% of people here put together.

Anyone know which band played Horseland first?

Oh yeah, i think Marian was first sung by german artist Heino!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

yo! 10% reprazent! 8)
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Sisters Afterhours covered by R.E.M. is a very funny idea.
guns & cars & accidents
TomK
Road Kill

Mmmm, nouvelle vague... the girl has a sweety voice but she destroys the song. Gad bless Eldritch's haunting vocal. Never been a fan of Creaming Jesus, but there you go.. I guess my radio must be infected... THanks for the feedback chumpers.. :lol:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Has to be heard to be believed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbc15Prz ... re=related
TomK
Road Kill

Now that one I like! Reason I thought Marian was a cover btw is because it seems to be referred to as 'Marian (Version)' a lot. Either that or some demons screwing with my head... :lol: ... Was there an earlier take than the one on First and Last and Always?
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

TomK wrote:Now that one I like! Reason I thought Marian was a cover btw is because it seems to be referred to as 'Marian (Version)' a lot. Either that or some demons screwing with my head... :lol: ... Was there an earlier take than the one on First and Last and Always?

No, you're correct. Marian is a cover, a "version". The original is by Lee Scratch Perry on his debut album. I forget the name, but pick it up at Virgin...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The official FAQ wrote: Why is 'Marian (version)' called 'Marian (version)'? [...]

There is no other version of 'Marian'. Traditionally, reggae instrumentals were called 'Songname - version', to denote the fact that there's no singing. 'Marian (version)' is simply a reference to the record company's complaint that the vocals on 'Marian' are far too quiet.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
TomK
Road Kill

bismarck wrote: No, you're correct. Marian is a cover, a "version". The original is by Lee Scratch Perry on his debut album. I forget the name, but pick it up at Virgin...
Indeed. It's also on his 1982 Rainmakers compilation which I picked up in a bargain bin today.. Marian in those original reggae beats is not really my thing, but it's good to have in the collection. :innocent:
aims
Overbomber

Norman Hunter wrote:

:eek:

Not bad :lol:
psichonaut
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote:Hahahaaaa.

This man has more brains than 90% of people here put together.
speack for yourself Dei ;D
i think you don't know whom are the most part of us, what we do and where we are going in life
i make a point, i don't feel offended, but it's better if you go to clarify things with the interested person/s and stop to speack as the HLers are only 1 person
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
HisWimmNess
Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:
Norman Hunter wrote:

I prefer THIS clip anytime ;D
nostalgy ain't what it used to be
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

HisWimmNess wrote:
Motz wrote:
Norman Hunter wrote: Has to be heard to be believed;

I prefer THIS clip anytime ;D
Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OpwKpHK2cQ&fmt=18

I've seen a very similar stage before^^
eotunun
Overbomber

If the Novelle Vague singer could hit any note, that might not be a bad version. It shurely is interesting.
BTW: Doc, your avatar rocks! :lol:

Oh, and Dei: Do you happen to have a big church organ at home? -Your laughter somehow gives me a picture of you in a big, old, dark castle, playing a mighty organ.. :wink:

..okay, I toddle off. Mind, you are not the only one mistaken to be a g*th around here now.
There is shadow under this red rock
iesus
Overbomber

i read this and search for other covers and find this one --->

http://www.free-albums.net/download-Lam ... 302772.mp3

and loved it.... ;D :innocent:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
TomK
Road Kill

eotunun wrote:Mind, you are not the only one mistaken to be a g*th around here now.
Not sure who you're referring to there, but I ain't a goth for one. Certainly not into the whole eyeliner and self harm thing anyway :lol: Granted SOM music is as clear cut goth as you can get, but I have wondered what proportion of SOM fans would actually consider 'goth' as a part of their identity. Are we all Bauhaus fans here too? sic. Most of the bands I listen to are goth-fused at best, like The Cult.. and black has always been my colour of choice just because I like it that way rather than identity with any dress code or theme. Personally I think the whole wanton goth image is a bit retarded when taken to excesses... Though I have to say goth chicks can look damn cool regardless.. :notworthy:
DJ Nephilimbabe
Road Kill

TomK wrote:.. but I ain't a goth for one. Certainly not into the whole eyeliner and self harm thing anyway
No, thats Emo you're thinking of ;)