Sisters Comic?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Would You Buy A SoM Graphic Novel/Anthology?

Of Course I Would!
53%
It would depend on how good it was
23%
Yes, if it included 'new" studio recordings
15%
You're out of your mind. Comics? HA, not likely!
9%

Total votes: 47
Rantz
Road Kill

Ok, I have a question for all.

I'm the editor/project organizer of the recently released monsterously huge coffee table anthology Comic Book Tattoo, featuring over 50 stories inspired by the songs and music of Tori Amos. The book's been a huge success, and I'm getting asked a lot "What's the next band you're going to do?"

...and to be honest, I really didn't think there was another musician or band I'd want to tackle, just because of the sheer amount of work that went into Comic Book Tattoo, and not wanting to 'repeat' myself.

HOWEVER...

With the upcoming tour, and the fact that Andrew and Co. will be playing in my area (Anaheim), I've been seriously considering the potential and possibilities of Doing a SoM-based book, and am now wondering if there's enough of an audience for it for me to try and set up a meeting with Andrew.

So, the question (and poll) to everyone is: If I did this, and put out a Massive SoM-based comic anthology, with the same kind of production values, art, talent, etc that was present in Comic Book Tattoo, would YOU buy it? (CBT is 12" x 12" - record album sized, and 480 pages on heavy art stock paper. The Ltd ed. is leather bound with slipcase and gold leaf logo and page edging, etc)

And, if you aren't familiar with Comic Book Tattoo, you can see some pics of it Here
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=15838

http://www.spinner.com/2008/07/21/tori- ... ok-tattoo/

http://www.amazon.com/Comic-Book-Tattoo ... 1582409641

http://undented.com/news/1478/comic-boo ... ak-preview

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bauwauhaus/2565062159/

thanks in advance!
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Well, being a lover of Tori Amos I've just ordered the above book and await its arrival with eager anticipation (though it's a pity Mr Gaiman only contributed the intoduction).

Let me see...

Sisters fan - check
Comics fan - check
Rabid collector - check
Own the collected issues of Lazarus Churchyard - check
Written a novel filled with Sisters references - check

It's certainly looking good for you shifting at least one copy in my direction. :wink: :lol:

In short - a bloody good idea, Rantz.

However, I'm not certain :von: will be up for it, but best of luck approaching him.
Edit - Actually, I've just remembered "Bradley Goes Gothic" in 2000AD, so he might be more up for it than I first thought.
Last edited by Erudite on 28 Sep 2008, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

it will be a good idea

i´d buy it!!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
TomK
Road Kill

Great idea! Would be cool to see Eldritch given villian or superhero powers... hmm dark lord of the dominion... lol.. I used to be a huge fan of 2000 AD style comics ala ABC Warriors, Nemesis et al, I think Eldritch would make a great character profile for something special. I haven't read Comic Book Tattoo, but one on the SOM would intrigue me enough to buy your new one for certain!
eotunun
Overbomber

Nice Hair?
There is shadow under this red rock
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

dtsom wrote:it will be a good idea

i´d buy it!!
Seconded.... :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

eotunun wrote:Nice Hair?
I was just about to mention that!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd almost certainly buy it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Hexe Luciferia
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nice idea. :D
I think I'd buy it.
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I've been seriously considering the potential and possibilities of Doing a SoM-based book, and am now wondering if there's enough of an audience for it for me to try and set up a meeting with Andrew.
good luck :wink:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

No.

And if you get AE involved in your "idea", i'll become a Hussey fan.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Rantz
Road Kill

ALL: Thanks for the feedback and input. I've been a huge fan of tSoM for decades, and they've provided plenty of artistic 'fuel' for my brain since the first time I heard Alice on the old 12" singles. I'm well aware however that, just because YOU think it's a good idea, doesn't mean the world will agree with you, so hearing your thoughts is greatly valued!

Erudite: Well, being a lover of Tori Amos I've just ordered the above book and await its arrival with eager anticipation (though it's a pity Mr Gaiman only contributed the intoduction).

I thank you sir, I do hope you will enjoy CBT. I'm very proud of it, as is Tori. We wanted to really redefine how people perceive 'music comics' and anthologies in general. Based on the feedback and sales so far, it seems to be working! One of the very few times in my creative career that I don't feel like the end result isn't what my intentions were. A rare and lovely feeling.

and yes, I would have been most excellent to have Neil do more than the intro, but his sched. was crazed and Tori and I felt bad enough adding more to his plate. There's other things a-brewing tho'...

In short - a bloody good idea, Rantz.

Thank you again, I think of all the groups and musicians, that tSoM's catalogue has the most potential for some diverse 'riffing', since the lyrics are so evocative, but at the same time, don't tell a linear narrative.

However, I'm not certain will be up for it, but best of luck approaching him.

Yeah, indeed. We'll see how it goes...

TomK: Great idea! Would be cool to see Eldritch given villian or superhero powers... hmm dark lord of the dominion

Well, the key with Comic Book Tattoo, and I'd want to do a similar thing here, is to not have the book be about the band or musician, instead focusing on the ideas and interpetations that the songs evoke. That way, it doesn't just become 'fan service', and ideally appeals to people who are NOT fans of the band as well, but who like comics and hopefully, through the back door (if the book does its job) gets the reader to think twice about the music they dismissed out of hand with blanket stereotypes.

itnAklipse:No.

Why? I certainly can understand you not liking the idea of a comic, different strokes/perceptions and all of that, but why the level of vitrol towards the idea? Did a comic book steal your lunch money as a child? I'm genuinely curious.

Again, thanks all.
Syberberg

Rantz wrote: TomK: Great idea! Would be cool to see Eldritch given villian or superhero powers... hmm dark lord of the dominion

Well, the key with Comic Book Tattoo, and I'd want to do a similar thing here, is to not have the book be about the band or musician, instead focusing on the ideas and interpetations that the songs evoke. That way, it doesn't just become 'fan service', and ideally appeals to people who are NOT fans of the band as well, but who like comics and hopefully, through the back door (if the book does its job) gets the reader to think twice about the music they dismissed out of hand with blanket stereotypes.
Then you'd better make sure you have a loooong chat with Andrew about the meanings. Any reference to "goth" and he'll completely cancel the whole project, probably just as you've got the final proof ready. He can be like that sometimes.
Rantz wrote:itnAklipse:No.

Why? I certainly can understand you not liking the idea of a comic, different strokes/perceptions and all of that, but why the level of vitrol towards the idea? Did a comic book steal your lunch money as a child? I'm genuinely curious.

Again, thanks all.
Just ignore him, we do our level best to.

As to whether or not I'd buy your proposed offering, it would depend entirely upon the quality of the contents, not the quality of the materials used to create the artifact.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Silver_Owl
The Don

It sounds like a great idea. I certainly would be interested in contributing as well. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ganith
Amphetamine Filth

Absolutely yes

Ganith
Human stupidity knows no limits.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:It sounds like a great idea. I certainly would be interested in contributing as well. :wink:
"Gies a job - ah could do that!"

Ten points if you spot the reference, Steve. :lol:
psichonaut
Overbomber

@ Rantz
did you never think to a Cure based comic-book? ;D
cure fans "eat" every s**t comes out from fat Bob's arse :twisted:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

A big fat hairy yes from here too.

Go for it! :D
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Rantz
Road Kill

psichonaut wrote:@ Rantz
did you never think to a Cure based comic-book? ;D
cure fans "eat" every s**t comes out from fat Bob's arse :twisted:
There's been a LOT of bands/musicians suggested after Comic Book Tattoo launched, both from fans and from bands. Tool, NIN, The Cure, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen and a few others have come up quite a bit, but a project like this is a year out of my life, and it's a LOT of work, so there has to be a degree of passion for the source material to help sustain focus.

And while i *do* like a *lot* of the Cure's library, I don't know as I like *enough* to be the right editor for a book riffing off of their tunes, if that makes sense. Sisters? No problem.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Erudite wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:It sounds like a great idea. I certainly would be interested in contributing as well. :wink:

Easy. :lol: Image

@Rantz - See above. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rantz wrote:And while i *do* like a *lot* of the Cure's library, I don't know as I like *enough* to be the right editor for a book riffing off of their tunes, if that makes sense. Sisters? No problem.
Yes, reading you loud and clear. That makes total sense to me. :von:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Erudite wrote:

Easy. :lol: Image
Good 'ol Yosser Hughes! :notworthy:
Hom_Corleone wrote:@Rantz - See above. ;D
I suspect this is for established talent... but I bagsy "Driver". :wink:
Rantz
Road Kill

As a follow up on this, had a good meeting before and after the Anaheim show, we're supposed to talk further in a few weeks. Fingers crossed and all of that.

Was really the icing on a wonderful cake of a show :)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Rantz wrote:As a follow up on this, had a good meeting before and after the Anaheim show, we're supposed to talk further in a few weeks. Fingers crossed and all of that.

Was really the icing on a wonderful cake of a show :)
Good! :notworthy:

Fingers crossed...
"as we walk on the floodland"
silentNate

How exciting- I'm tempted by the Tori Amos book simply because the art looks great.
Hopefully you'll keep us updated should :von: show interest in the project.
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria