RIP Bettie Page

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7778963.stm

50s pin-up queen Bettie Page dies

Bettie Page, one of the most famous US pin-up models of the 1950s, has died in Los Angeles, aged 85.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sad.

I'm vaguely surprised that she was still alive to be honest. :oops:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Sad.

Snap. :oops:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

:(

I remember quaintly-scandalous Bettie vids played over and over at g*th clubs in L.A. years ago. I thought they were hilarious, in that Bettie consistently flashed her blinding smile whilst dressed in what'd now pass for "granny" panties and bras, and engaging in such "naughty" activities as twirling around, wiggling her bum, and pulling off her gloves. :lol:
So tame (and downright tasteful) by today's standards...
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

Whit... nae tit!?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Erudite wrote:

Snap. :oops:
Thirded.

She got God in the end, didn't she?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
eotunun
Overbomber

The heroess of numberless wet dreams of adolescent boys (and the occasional adolescent Girl) has gone.
I dearly hope she enjoyed every day of her time on earth! :notworthy:
May she find her peace now.

But how do you bury a pin-up queen propperly?
-Do you lay her in a coffin, or do you stick her to the door of a locker on a cemetery?
There is shadow under this red rock
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Ai...did'nt know. Thanks QB. Has not, inspite of the fame, been in the news here afaik. :roll:

May she rest in peace!
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

boudicca wrote: She got God in the end, didn't she?
quite a long time ago in fact. I think that's why she quit the business.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:( Blessed be Bettie Page. :notworthy:

We are lucky she allowed this film... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404802/
to be made. It is a good and rather clean telling of her story. :wink:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
James Blast
Banned

still nae tit :(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
splintered thing

as the day is long,
rain from heaven
James Blast
Banned

thank you, but...

that isn't tit

don't make me, you wouldn't like me... :|
~ Peter Steele
splintered thing

I know but she is what she is - isn't that something!
She was real.

Her Obit on her website mentions her recent links with Anna Nicole Smith- apparently her modern equivalent - if those are the giant jubblies you are after heee hee........ nuf said.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
James Blast
Banned

'nats' for me, me no likee 'enhanced' knorks
I did try to find a linky that may not offend but it's all gone a bit Pete tonight and I've had just enough to drink and I'm very, very tired... probably emotional too

NEXT! ;D ;D
~ Peter Steele
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote:The heroess of numberless wet dreams of adolescent boys (and the occasional adolescent Girl) has gone.
Adolescent nothing - I've got a bit of a collection going of Bettie photos. A couple of magnets on the fridge as well, right by the coffee pot - something nice to look at after stumbling into the kitchen bleary eyed trying to make coffee in the morning, not quite conscious enough to play with the magnetic poetry also on the fridge. :kiss: I love how open and free, really sensual she was in her photos - they never look forced or too posed, she was really her. Even after becoming a born again Christian, she said she never regretted anything she did, that she was comfortable and felt natural nude. That gorgeous smile - the girl with the perfect figure - the largest influence by far on pin up art even today (and how many rockabilly/punk/goth girls have modeled their look on hers?) The pin up queen indeed.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
quite a long time ago in fact. I think that's why she quit the business.
She quit the business before she found God, actually.
Quotes are from the obituary I've found several places on the net:
In 1951, Page fell under the influence of a photographer and his sister who specialized in S&M. They cut her hair into the dark bangs that became her signature and posed her in spiked heels and little else. She was photographed with a whip in her hand, and in one session she was spread-eagled between two trees, her feet dangling.
"I thought my arms and legs would come out of their sockets," she said later.
Moralists denounced the photos as perversion, and Sen. Estes Kefauver of Tennessee, Page's home state, launched a congressional investigation.
Page quickly retreated from public view, later saying she was hounded by federal agents who waved her nude photos in her face. She also said she believed that, at age 34, her days as "the girl with the perfect figure" were nearly over.
She moved to Florida in 1957 and married a much younger man, as an early marriage to her high school sweetheart had ended in divorce.
Her second marriage also failed, as did a third, and she suffered a nervous breakdown.
In 1959, she was lying on a sea wall in Key West when she saw a church with a white neon cross on top. She walked inside and became a born-again Christian.
Also
After resurfacing in the 1990s, she occasionally granted interviews but refused to allow her picture to be taken.
"I don't want to be photographed in my old age," she told an interviewer in 1998. "I feel the same way with old movie stars. ... It makes me sad. We want to remember them when they were young."
I think she felt her modeling days were over, seems the controversy had something to do with it too though - but as I said in a post above, her religion and missionary work apparently never caused her to feel ashamed.
she told Playboy in 1998: "I never thought it was shameful. I felt normal. It's just that it was much better than pounding a typewriter eight hours a day, which gets monotonous."
Nudity didn't bother her, she said, explaining: "God approves of nudity. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, they were naked as jaybirds."
Qarly
Road Kill

I for one was definitely not aware...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

You make that sound like a disease, but then history is full of people who have contracted a nasty case of religion. :wink:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

The staff at Bizzare magazine will be inconsolable.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

Norman Hunter wrote:The staff at Bizzare magazine will be inconsolable.
Actually just found this:
http://www.bizarremag.com/entertainment ... eager.html

but when I hear Bizarre Magazine I always think of the US one published between '48 and '59 - I think Page appeared on the cover once or twice (but not actually inside the mag), I found original copies of almost all of them on ebay about a year ago but bidding got a bit expensive so I gave up. I had never heard of it myself until we got one volume of this set (http://www.amazon.com/Bizarre-Complete- ... 3822892696) in used at work a couple years ago, I came across it while fixing some inventory and paged through it, was going to buy it but decided not to since it wasn't the whole set. Still want a copy.
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

Here you go James - NSFW. Last pic. ;D :kiss:

http://jezebel.com/5108601/what-was-it- ... e=true&s=i
James Blast
Banned

thank you dear but, not even close... ( ° )( ° )
~ Peter Steele