And what the f**k's with Iggy doing adverts!!!!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Francis
Overbomber

Words fail me.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

at least it's not for fucking butter. :urff: my big black and white poster of rotten from '76 stayed blu-tacked to the wall by the skin of it's teeth.

i wouldn't mind, but i'd rather eat stork margarine than butter. at least it spreads from the fridge, which i would say was quite useful in a spread. :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

and Alice Cooper.. and... :evil:
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bill Hicks wrote:Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the capitalist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I almost don't wanna know the background to this thread, as I have always liked Iggy - but still, when I read things like these I find it easier to accept that Eldritch doesn't want to release anything new. That's only the downside of a very independent charachter.

Nothing special against capitalism, I just find it extremely off-putting when artists I like do commercials.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

euphoria wrote:I almost don't wanna know the background to this thread, as I have always liked Iggy - but still, when I read things like these I find it easier to accept that Eldritch doesn't want to release anything new. That's only the downside of a very independent charachter.

Nothing special against capitalism, I just find it extremely off-putting when artists I like do commercials.
it's not good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnydYrZPp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olaCvcl0CRQ
Goths have feelings too
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

as ancient Romans said: pecunia non olet.

you know we got economic crisis, numbers of selling album is on a downhill (still, constantly), peeps like to save money than wasting them on a ticket(s) so they - artists - taking money from wherever they can.

yeah right.

life is life nah-nah, nah-nah-nah
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Bill Hicks wrote:Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the capitalist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.
Except for Willie Nelson though, right? :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
canon docre
Overbomber

Corporate Iggy? :eek: That's just blatantely offending.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

That was much worse than I thought :urff:

Eldritch, please stay the way you are ...FFS
the-happening
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

He may have sold his soul but I still hope that him and the stooges play Guilfest this year
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines" have been using Lust For Life for the last few months...

http://spinner.aol.com/photos/caribbean ... g-iggy-pop
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Spigel

Aww Let the man make a bit of money will yee!! Has he not done enough for us all these years
sultan2075
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:
markfiend wrote:
He owns a gas station about an hour south of here, where he sells bio-diesel.

On the broader subject, I don't see anything wrong with money. It's nice to have money (if there's anyone here who doesn't want theirs, they can always send it to me); it lets you pay bills, keep the lights on, etc.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:"Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines" have been using Lust For Life for the last few months...

http://spinner.aol.com/photos/caribbean ... g-iggy-pop
They've been using it here in the States for years. One assumes they don't know what the song is about.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

aye :lol:

its often the case when ad agencies take a song out of context in order to use it's main chorus :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:aye :lol:

its often the case when ad agencies take a song out of context in order to use it's main chorus :roll:
A bit like the BBC using Perfect Day. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:On the broader subject, I don't see anything wrong with money.
It's not that there's anything wrong with money per se. It's that Iggy has been paid to say "you should buy this insurance." So now, whatever he says, whatever he does, there's always going to be a suspicion that it's something he's been paid to shill, rather than from his own ideas.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:On the broader subject, I don't see anything wrong with money.
It's not that there's anything wrong with money per se. It's that Iggy has been paid to say "you should buy this insurance." So now, whatever he says, whatever he does, there's always going to be a suspicion that it's something he's been paid to shill, rather than from his own ideas.
But he is paid to shill. Usually it's his own records. If he's on stage and he's extolling the virtues of Depends Adult Diapers, I will feel pretty confident he's been paid by them. If he's extolling the virtues of Shure microphones, well, it's 50/50. And if he's singing 'Lust for Life,' extolling the virtues of heroin, I will assume he's not been paid. I understand why you might have that sort of suspicion, but it seems a little excessive to me. You can tell most of the time when someone is a paid shill. Incidentally: what about Ben, Chris and ENGL? They're being paid to shill those amplifiers by putting them on the website as an endorsement. It's pretty clear that they're sponsored by them; in the gear section, when Von goes through, say, the inner workings of the Doktor, it's pretty clear that he's not being a paid shill. It's all about context.
--
EvilBastard
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
markfiend wrote:
He owns a gas station about an hour south of here, where he sells bio-diesel.
Bill did a riff on celebrities who take money for appearing on commercials - his target was Jay Leno for doing the Doritos ad. He was prepared to give Willie a pass on this given that the IRS had just landed him with a massive fine and backtaxes.
Bill Hicks wrote:"If you do a commercial you're of the artistic role call forever and that goes for everyone ... except Willie Nelson. 24 million dollar tax bill, Willie was a little looser than the rest of us. I just avert my eyes when Willie sings about Tacos, you know what i mean ... ' Im sittin here, sellin Tacos, oh wait for the women in the rose tattoo. My butt is so loose...' Oh Willie. Poor fuckin Willie. Oh God lets pass the hat. Get him off the Taco bell commerical. We gotta save Willie."
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Wasn t Peter Murphy doing an advertisement for batteries i think..
and Lou Reed for motorcycles..
the-happening

Silence is platinum wrote:Wasn t Peter Murphy doing an advertisement for batteries i think..
and Lou Reed for motorcycles..
Peter Murpy did maxwell tapes back in the day.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUIxGJ-ykI
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Silence is platinum wrote:...and Lou Reed for motorcycles..
Really? :eek: Now I really have lost all faith in humanity. :evil: :(
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I was going to start this thread meself but I figured someone else'd get to it sooner or later :lol:

It's not so much that these folk are doing adverts (well, actually, it is) but the fact that the ads in question - the Rotten one and the Pop one - are really really sh!te. Do you see that little anarchy A in the Iggy ad? Oh yeah woohoo rock'n'roll car insurance :roll:

If this is being aimed at ageing-punks-who-presumably-now-need-to-grow-up-and-think-about-insurance-and-stuff, it's a damning indictment of that demographic. Which is, presumably, us. Or should I say, you :twisted: :innocent: :P

I feel myself and my freewheeling values being patronised by the Man, and I'm not down with it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Silver_Owl
The Don

boudicca wrote: I feel myself and my freewheeling values being patronised by the Man, and I'm not down with it.
:lol: I hear ya Sister. :notworthy:

It's like those Nationwide ads. Not that it's a celeb but that twit on those adverts makes me want to firebomb every last branch. It's supposed to portray a rival wanker but all I can think of is the pain they've put me through by making me watch the prick. :evil:

And fcuk Anchor butter and whatever bollocks Iggy is advertising.

Say no to celebrity desperation in between TV programmes. :!:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.