new song Arms

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

It's the most cliché metalriff of the past ten years combined with Flood II riff.

I'm so unimpressed the empty toilet roll lying next to me looks like Bafflement Incarnate.

They have to do better, WAY better, to even catch my interest nowadays :|

Usually, for this kind of stuff I believe a needle, a pill or, failing that, a neckshot is the most humane thing to do.

So sad...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

Well I like it.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I rather think that I'm with Iz. Meh. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

well yeah, the chorus riff is quite floody, and the main geetar riff is kinda killing jokey (a pure coincidence apparently), but i like it.

the tune incredibly catchy and live it felt very powerful :D

just wish i had the foggiest what the lyrics are :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Wow, I'm speechless, Doc :eek:

You're really good at this - thank you! :notworthy: :notworthy:

And be prepared to change the lyrics from time to time

:wink:

Edit: maybe I have missed some info, but what is the sound source? More specifically, is it a different one than the 2 wide-spread versions, Berlin and Dresden?
mh
Above the Chemist

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

awesome riff. instant classic. crash and burn -esque which ain't a bad thing. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Rofocale
Road Kill

Awesome editing Doc!!!

I agree with some of you that the song is a bit cliché but I still like it.
the_inescapable_truth
Amphetamine Filth

Very nice. Thanks!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

To be fair, I'll give it a chance to grow on me. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Is that a 12 string Chris is using?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i didn't see him switch geetars tbh :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maisey wrote:Is that a 12 string Chris is using?
You're obsessed Maisey :lol:

It's one of his Ibanez ones. One like this, in fact.

As for the song itself....well, it's rather clichéd and is in desperate need of a MUCH thicker and fuller bassline, possibly doing a bit more than root note, root and fourth, with root and fith would spice it up a bit. But it is growing on me like fungus on a slice of bread.

The lead line in the verse is, what, the first two or four bars of FloodII? Get the Doc to carry that on keys and bring Ben's guitar in to play a different riff to suggest a different chord (Augmented Fourth or a Seventh might be nice) than Chris is playing.

Okay, forget the Killing Joke riff...it's Hunted by Gary Numan, just sped up slightly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL5yHrWAJmg
Last edited by Syberberg on 06 Mar 2009, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

euphoria wrote: Edit: maybe I have missed some info, but what is the sound source? More specifically, is it a different one than the 2 wide-spread versions, Berlin and Dresden?
The audio track based of the recordings from scttrbrn (Dresden) and Cyberbio (Berlin) - both sources has been mixed together. The video footage has been shot in Hamburg and Dresden.

Regarding the 12 sting: I think Chris didn't use this goodie at all, even during something fast.
TheBoyNextDoor

DocSommer wrote:
Regarding the 12 sting: I think Chris didn't use this goodie at all, even during something fast.
Nope, they/he didn't. They play both I Was Wrong and Something Fast on electric guitars. Sounds ok, though I love that Chet Atkins sound. :D
christophe
Overbomber

fantastic! :D
any chance we could get more of that? in the weeding section or something? :D
Another Shade of You.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

christophe wrote:
Some day...some day ;D
christophe
Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:
christophe wrote:
Some day...some day ;D
:kiss: ;D
Another Shade of You.
paul
Overbomber

:eek:

Doesn't anyone think that the guitarrif/drums of "arms" sounds an awful lot like the tune of the Terrible Thunder Lizzards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO6pn2mp ... re=related
moses

Syberberg wrote: As for the song itself....well, it's rather clichéd and is in desperate need of a MUCH thicker and fuller bassline, possibly doing a bit more than root note, root and fourth, with root and fith would spice it up a bit. ....

The lead line in the verse is, what, the first two or four bars of FloodII? Get the Doc to carry that on keys and bring Ben's guitar in to play a different riff to suggest a different chord (Augmented Fourth or a Seventh might be nice) than Chris is playing.
You should apply to play guitar for them, then The Sisters would sound like Legion sounding like a really bad Sisters - The Simulacrums Of Mercy. :urff:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Syberberg wrote:Okay, forget the Killing Joke riff...it's Hunted by Gary Numan, just sped up slightly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL5yHrWAJmg
Yeah, but...that little keyboard bit *and* the "chugging" riff are lifted straight out of "Millennium!" :lol: Good grief, the pilfering. :roll:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Syberberg

moses wrote:
Syberberg wrote: As for the song itself....well, it's rather clichéd and is in desperate need of a MUCH thicker and fuller bassline, possibly doing a bit more than root note, root and fourth, with root and fith would spice it up a bit. ....

You should apply to play guitar for them, then The Sisters would sound like Legion sounding like a really bad Sisters - The Simulacrums Of Mercy. :urff:
Haven't you heard the news old chap? I walked out of Legion last month. Do try and keep up, there's a good fellow. ;D
Syberberg

SINsister wrote:
Syberberg wrote:Okay, forget the Killing Joke riff...it's Hunted by Gary Numan, just sped up slightly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL5yHrWAJmg
Yeah, but...that little keyboard bit *and* the "chugging" riff are lifted straight out of "Millennium!" :lol: Good grief, the pilfering. :roll:
Shocking, innit? :lol:
800mak
Road Kill

Totally annoying, unfortunately... The band has a legacy far too good for this...thing!

Still hoping...
Tune in

Turn on

Burn out