Vent Your Spleen

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dodges Unlimited Inc. wrote:Anyway, I trust your 'in-law' is feeling Minty Fresh now? - Nearly time for Mint 7 'Gloria' too! - I hope it is even better than Felicia?!

;D
Aye, I'm tempted by the Gloria RC for this computer... ;D

I still like my old Mac though, I had it dual-booting with Xubuntu for a while but it kept fncking up the system clock and the screen resolution for some reason. Back to OSX now.

But never Microsoft ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dodges Unlimited Inc.
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:But never Microsoft ;D
:lol:
“Pension. Pay given to a state hireling for treason to his country.�
Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (1755)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Anyhoo...

Can I go off on one again about evolution versus creation? ;D :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

No. I won that fair and square and if you do I'll cry and then my god will smite you.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

markfiend wrote:
Can I go off on one again about evolution versus creation? ;D :innocent:
You must be BORED?

:lol:
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

markfiend wrote:
Dodges Unlimited Inc. wrote:Anyway, I trust your 'in-law' is feeling Minty Fresh now? - Nearly time for Mint 7 'Gloria' too! - I hope it is even better than Felicia?!

;D
Aye, I'm tempted by the Gloria RC for this computer... ;D

I still like my old Mac though, I had it dual-booting with Xubuntu for a while but it kept fncking up the system clock and the screen resolution for some reason. Back to OSX now.

But never Microsoft ;D
Markfiend (& others who are interested?!) ... If anyone is keen and or interested in getting started/progressing with Lovely Linux, perhaps try these FREE Ebooks :~

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2009/05/10/10 ... beginners/

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:No. I won that fair and square and if you do I'll cry and then my god will smite you.
OK then ;D
—Bertrand Russell
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:No. I won that fair and square and if you do I'll cry and then my god will smite you.
Your god and all the other gods can smite away- man made god not the other way round :P :lol:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Though why He's the West Ham manager, Man only knows then... :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

silentNate wrote:
Your god and all the other gods can smite away- man made god not the other way round :P :lol:
But then God ran amok and now we must tremble before Him or face His Almighty wrath.
nodubmanshouts

I thought he was a loving God?
silentNate

nodubmanshouts wrote:I thought he was a loving God?
If he is a loving god then why did he give us Rupert Murdoch? :eek:

Do people who believe in god (or gods) automatically believe in the devil btw? Is it a ying/yang thing where one cannot exist without the other? :?
I had a hand on the gun
Dodges Unlimited Inc.

Or do people who believe in a 'Devil' automatically believe in a 'God'?

:wink: Just playing the 'Devil's Advocate' ...
DeWinter

silentNate wrote: Do people who believe in god (or gods) automatically believe in the devil btw? Is it a ying/yang thing where one cannot exist without the other? :?
Depends how you read some of the Holy Books. In some, Satan (a translation of adversary),is mans prosecutor before God, and not remotely evil. Lucifer (bringer of light) was a term applied to a particularly ostentatious and proud king who lost his kingdom.
I think the Old Testament God, who was a decidedly nasty bit of work, was judged a bit too unsympathetic, so his bad points get transferred to a powerful opposite, the rebellious fallen angel, a story pinched from the old Sumerian religion.
silentNate

DeWinter wrote:
silentNate wrote: Do people who believe in god (or gods) automatically believe in the devil btw? Is it a ying/yang thing where one cannot exist without the other? :?
Depends how you read some of the Holy Books. In some, Satan (a translation of adversary),is mans prosecutor before God, and not remotely evil. Lucifer (bringer of light) was a term applied to a particularly ostentatious and proud king who lost his kingdom.
I think the Old Testament God, who was a decidedly nasty bit of work, was judged a bit too unsympathetic, so his bad points get transferred to a powerful opposite, the rebellious fallen angel, a story pinched from the old Sumerian religion.
Yeah, I was reading about the role of Satan in the Torah earlier- which brought me back to Lilith and subservence of women in most religions :urff:
I had a hand on the gun
DeWinter

silentNate wrote: Yeah, I was reading about the role of Satan in the Torah earlier- which brought me back to Lilith and subservence of women in most religions :urff:
Lilith is even more interesting. By todays standards, she's almost the heroine of the story about her and Adam. Probably she was meant as a warning against standing up to your menfolk, or being sexually liberated, like many women in non-Judaic cultures were.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC the story of Lilith has very little biblical support.

Just looking at the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith Very interesting 8)
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

No, think the Lilith story is Apocrypha at best. Looking at that she's been pinched from earlier Sumerian mythology. Much like the rebel angel storyline of Semjaaza, and Tiamat/ Leviathan.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

To be fair most of Judaic mythology (apart from the Caananite pantheon from which El and Yahweh, along with Asherah, Baal, and various other gods mentioned in the Old Testament originate) is very heavily influenced by Sumerian / Akkadian / Babylonian myth.

I'm not sure if this dates from the Babylonian exile (after all, the Levite priesthood would have been steeped in the mythology of their captors) or if it was a more general mythology across much of the ancient Middle-East.
—Bertrand Russell
WeirdSinisterGhostly
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:To be fair most of Judaic mythology (apart from the Caananite pantheon from which El and Yahweh, along with Asherah, Baal, and various other gods mentioned in the Old Testament originate) is very heavily influenced by Sumerian / Akkadian / Babylonian myth.

I'm not sure if this dates from the Babylonian exile (after all, the Levite priesthood would have been steeped in the mythology of their captors) or if it was a more general mythology across much of the ancient Middle-East.
Clever clogs :D
GC
Slight Overbomber

When did the Fields of Nephilim appear then? :D
sultan2075
Overbomber

Sometime in the 80's
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Genesis 6:4 wrote:There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
The Hebrew word the KJV translators gloss as "giants" is "Nephilim".
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

WeirdSinisterGhostly wrote:Clever clogs :D
I take that as a compliment :P
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

They're the reason for the Flood, if I remember correctly--along with Cain's descendants through Lamech.

On the subject of venting my spleen, I'll be doing so tonight, giving a lengthy paper on Tocqueville and Nietzsche to a local group. Probably lengthier than they want, to be perfectly honest.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.