Altamont: A Festival of Remembrance

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

James Blast wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:Lemmy might have just been taking the p*ss "Go on get back out there. The crowd love you"
I'll go with that version with a big BUT! - there is absolutely no mention of Mr. E in "White Line Fever"
Names were changed to protect the wasted.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
GC
Slight Overbomber

Chairman Bux wrote:
James Blast wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:Lemmy might have just been taking the p*ss "Go on get back out there. The crowd love you"
I'll go with that version with a big BUT! - there is absolutely no mention of Mr. E in "White Line Fever"
But Lemmy was taking the p*ss? :lol:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Chairman Bux wrote:
James Blast wrote:
mystic people
do i drive
or am i driven
James Blast
Banned

***ATTENTION SHOPPERS***
Gimme Shelter (1970)
Documentary capturing first hand the events of the infamous 1969 Altamont rock festival organised by the Rolling Stones. The free event ended in violence when the Hell's Angels the band had hired to provide security turned on the crowd, ultimately stabbing one spectator to death. The film incorporates footage from the festival and interviews with the band in the aftermath
Category Documentary
Director David Maysles, Albert Maysles
Certificate 15
BBC4 10:00pm-11:35pm (1 hour 35 minutes) Fri 11 Dec
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:***ATTENTION SHOPPERS***
Gimme Shelter (1970)
Documentary capturing first hand the events of the infamous 1969 Altamont rock festival organised by the Rolling Stones. The free event ended in violence when the Hell's Angels the band had hired to provide security turned on the crowd, ultimately stabbing one spectator to death. The film incorporates footage from the festival and interviews with the band in the aftermath
Category Documentary
Certificate 15
Nice. :von:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

pikkrong wrote:
Chairman Bux wrote:
James Blast wrote:I'll go with that version with a big BUT! - there is absolutely no mention of Mr. E in "White Line Fever"
mystic people
yeah who can tell when the "currently disguised as an interntionational man of mystery, coming soon to a grottey little hole near you" man says things like that! :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

you are mental
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

Gimme Shelter (1970)
Category Documentary
Certificate 15
Fantastic wasn't it? In an unsettling dirty way. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Big Si
School Bully

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Gimme Shelter (1970)
Category Documentary
Certificate 15
Fantastic wasn't it? In an unsettling dirty way. :?
It's on again tonight, and it's still available on Google Video :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Big Si wrote:It's on again tonight, and it's still available on Google Video :wink:
Yes I watched it again, and what struck me was the unpleasant, oppressive atmosphere that prevailed throughout. I'm not sure how much was down to skillful editing or just the fact that everyone there seemed to be fried on acid. It just looked like one horrible day but I suppose one hell of a story to tell if you'd been there. And I used to think that Neil from the Young Ones was not really a caricature. But evidently not - people really did come out with such impotent hippy crap :eek: How embarrassed they must be now :lol:
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: i'm not sure if they ever really did use bikers, but i remember reading an old interview where he said they had done at some stage... that could just have been more of his posturing to wind up the music press however
the sisters did use bikers as security for a time. the "wide receivers" credited at the end of the wake video are "boyd steamison for merciful release" and " the asfield mofos "; the ashfield mofos were a motorcycle club.
i know this for a fact because one of them is a very good friend of mine, as previously mentioned "here".
The first mention I recall of the Ashfield Mofo's was in the credits for the Mish's second album.I remember it,because one of the members used to live two minutes walk from my house,here in lovely Kirkby In Ashfield.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Wiki Wizard

sam1 wrote:I have a copy of decembers issue of Record Collector which has a 9 page article on Altamont and talks to some of the people that were there........any one who wants it can pm me and I'll sent it to them
Thank you for this, sam1. Scanned it now, so if anybody would like to have a read ...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3DNFS30R

I could also send on the copy of record collector, if anyone might feel the need to get the whole of it ...
jrbungeetroll
Road Kill

Actually, The Grateful Dead were the ones that used the Hell's Angels for security in the 60s....

They were supposed to play but refused because the crowd was so ugly
James Blast
Banned

Dude#1 "Bummer"
Dude#2 "Oooh bummer man"
Dude#3 "Yeah, bummer"
~ Peter Steele
copper
Amphetamine Filth

If anyone's interested in further reading around the subject, Hunter S Thompson's Hell's Angels is a fine account on how a small group of under-the-radar California bikers originally made nationwide press in around 1965.

Altamont came around just close enough to provide the Stones tie-in and immortalize the brand. Fashion victims, if ever.
John_Adrenochrome
Road Kill

copper wrote:If anyone's interested in further reading around the subject, Hunter S Thompson's Hell's Angels is a fine account on how a small group of under-the-radar California bikers originally made nationwide press in around 1965.....

My other half, Mel, (aka BassSlapper on this forum) did the cover photo/artwork for the re-issue of this book for Penguin...

And yes, it is a great read.
Big Si
School Bully

John_Adrenochrome wrote:
copper wrote:If anyone's interested in further reading around the subject, Hunter S Thompson's Hell's Angels is a fine account on how a small group of under-the-radar California bikers originally made nationwide press in around 1965.....

My other half, Mel, (aka BassSlapper on this forum) did the cover photo/artwork for the re-issue of this book for Penguin...

And yes, it is a great read.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/19650517/thompson :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis