White, Hotwired Sedan

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

This is a catch-all query to the Leodesians amongst us. It's about time I put my student loan to something useful, e.g. Driving Lessons.

Can anyone recommend a good company, give some pointers, and generally advise me on how to proceed?

Much obliged!

:notworthy:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Unfortunately I leaned to drive in 1990 :eek: back home in Cumbria.

So no.

But I'll teach you how to City Drive anytime.
Four strings good, six strings bad
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Norman Hunter wrote: But I'll teach you how to City Drive anytime.
:?:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

when i first moved to leeds about 12 years ago i had lessons with the AA (their office was on the corner near the corn exchange).

they weren't the cheapest but the instructor i had was very good and the lessons were very well structured.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I didn't even know they taught! Cheers :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

from what i recall, the process usually goes something like this:

- book a couple lessons
- if you like it, block book a few more (they're usually cheaper when block booked)
- get a copy of the highway code book (and maybe something related to the theory test)
- keep having lessons while also revising for the theory test

once you've had a few driving lessons, you're instructor will prob start talking abut your theory test... they usually then spend a couple of mins atthe end of each lesson asking you stuff from the highway code, by way of prepping.

after a while you will sit your theory, and then you'll be put in for your practical test.

that's the order as i remember it, but it was a long time ago so might have changed slightly now :|

(i moved house before sitting my practical, so i never actually sat it... and then the theory test is only valid for a couple of years if you don't have the practical too, so now i'd have to start all over again if i wanted to drive :urff:)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I did my test (1988!) before they introduced the separate theory bit. The examiner just asked a few questions from the Highway Code when you got back to the test centre. And to test your vision they just asked "what's the numberplate on that car over there?" :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I always thought (maybe in a commited cyclist/pedestrian fascist sort of way!) that drivers should have to take their test again every 5 years. After all we have one of the highest accident rates in Europe I think....Has never gone down well when I've suggested this! ;D :innocent:
The Chancer Corporation
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Hey, I'm inclined to agree. I'll let you if my attitude changes when I start driving!

:lol:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

timsinister wrote::?:
Take No Prisoners.
Four strings good, six strings bad
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

:urff:

Suspected enough! I worry I'm not quite rutheless enough yet...

:von:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

abridged wrote:I always thought (maybe in a commited cyclist/pedestrian fascist sort of way!) that drivers should have to take their test again every 5 years. After all we have one of the highest accident rates in Europe I think....Has never gone down well when I've suggested this! ;D :innocent:
I would support this.

I think driving is an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect writ large. Or as Bertrand Russell had it, The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. (Quoted in the same wiki link.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I did my test in Leeds in the early 90s before the theory test, went with the British School of Motoring (BSM) - really good guy, got me through the test and who took his life in his mitts and took me out on the motoroway afterwards. Did the test up in Harehills - I don't remember much about it except that at the end of the test, pulling up to the test centre, I mounted the pavement, thought, "I'm busted." Still passed me, though! :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

EvilBastard wrote:I did my test in Leeds in the early 90s before the theory test, went with the British School of Motoring (BSM) - really good guy, got me through the test and who took his life in his mitts and took me out on the motoroway afterwards. Did the test up in Harehills - I don't remember much about it except that at the end of the test, pulling up to the test centre, I mounted the pavement, thought, "I'm busted." Still passed me, though! :lol:
my nearest test centre would have been harehills so my lessons were mainly around that 'course', with a bit of a-road and dual carriageway driving to get me used to faster roads, iirc.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Tim on the roads? God help us.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:Tim on the roads? God help us.
Another Lubo Moravcik :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Big Si wrote:
boudicca wrote:Tim on the roads? God help us.
Another Lubo Moravcik :wink:
:eek: He tried to run me over when I was at St. Al's... have I told you that one before? :oops:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I'd try and find an independent driving instructor if you can. I learned with a lovely lady called Anne who "only" charged me £20 per hour where on the other hand BSM and the AA charge nearer £30. When you do a two hour lesson the difference in price is a bit staggering and if you work it out over your entire driving lesson experience. Plus she also did block booking which worked out cheaper, obviously she was local to me which isn't local to you but you should be able to find someone who also does this. Good luck! Learning to drive was one of the best decisions I ever made, when I passed I couldn't believe I had put it off for so long!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Cheers BoF, I'd almost forgotten what a sensible answer looked like!

:P
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If you wanted sensible why did you ask us lot?
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

You think I'm sensible?!

8)
czuczu
Overbomber

Book 2 hour lessons if you can, otherwise tyhe time will fly. I learnt a few years ago, went with BSM. Bit pricey but apparently their pass rate is way higher than anyone else :)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Make sure you do private practice with an over 21 who's carried a licence for at least 3 years.

Every night, take a 20 minute drive round Hyde Park with your Proxy instructor and it will save you HUNDREDS OF POUNDS in lesson time.

You need a qualified instructor to teach and hammer home the skills, but using one every time you drive is a way of stretching your learning period from months into years.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

get the bus
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

stay at home