Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Tarantino meets The Da Vinci Code!

Over-the-topness galore, a fine read! :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:Image
Terry Pratchett: The Truth.

It seems to me that Mr Pin and Mr Tulip bear more than a passing resemblance to Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar from Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. :?
I thought the very same when I read Neverwhere... 'hmmm, where did I see these two before?' ;)

I also received this today

... will start in that very soon! :D

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A review of Tim Lovejoy's "autobigraphy": http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

A work of comedy genius. (The review, not Lovejoy's book.) :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:A review of Tim Lovejoy's "autobigraphy": http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

A work of comedy genius. (The review, not Lovejoy's book.) :notworthy:
Frightening. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a really good read :notworthy:

and about a gazillion times better than the dreary/dodgy 70s tv adaptation :urff: :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

It seems to me that Mr Pin and Mr Tulip bear more than a passing resemblance to Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar from Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. :?
I thought the very same when I read Neverwhere... 'hmmm, where did I see these two before?' ;)
In fairness I think that's deliberate. There are a few concepts which NG and TP interchange. I don't think of it as plagiarism, I think about it as a Gaiman/Pratchett villain archetype tradition.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Currently back on the Pratchetts. Going to be followed be a holiday to Robin Hobbland.
Debaser
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

In fairness I think that's deliberate. There are a few concepts which NG and TP interchange. I don't think of it as plagiarism, I think about it as a Gaiman/Pratchett villain archetype tradition.
SPOOOOOOOOKY :eek: Was having the VERY same conversation on an English course today.

Second day of a course all about picture books for older children. Here's today's main text - it's fab (being the girlie swot like I is I'd already read it when it was first published a couple of years ago :P )

And a web page to boot

http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com/index.htm
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Big Si
School Bully

I haven't read anything about SPAM yet :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Andie
Overbomber

Twenty-eight years after its original release, "The Clash's London Calling" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame as a 'recording of lasting qualitative or historical significance'. It has topped polls for the best album of the seventies (and of the eighties). It regularly makes the top five in Best of British album polls. And it has placed, on average, in the mid twenties in the Greatest Albums of "All Time" polls for the last twenty - something years. No mean feat when artists the stature of "The Beatles" and "Bob Dylan" have many of the top slots, and so many other ground-shaking, heart-breaking and mind-expanding albums fail to make the lists at all. 'Iconic' is a much abused word, but the cover of "London Calling" has a genuine right to claim it: Q voted Pennie Smith's cover the best rock'n'roll photograph of all time in 2002, and the instantly recognisable image of Paul Simonon smashing his bass guitar has inspired countless imitators (including Mickey Mouse). Joe Strummer once remarked that "The Clash" didn't made it big it in the traditional way, by shipping multi-platinum, but rather 'in the culture'. "London Calling"'s songs are rich in lyrical and musical allusion, and since the album's release, that wealth has trickled back down into our everyday lives, in ways both obvious and subtle. "The Beatles" had their lumps felt in "Revolution in the Head", and "Bob Dylan" had his hinterland explored in "Invisible Republic". Now "The Clash"'s finest hour and five minutes gets a book telling when, how and where it was made, detailing the stories behind its songs, placing the album in contexts personal, musical and socio-political, noting its impact upon release, and considering the ripple effects since, both in The Clash members' own careers and 'in the culture'.
Well that's my weekend sorted :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Izzy HaveMercy

Maisey wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

True. They fit so well together they made GOOD OMENS a lovely read ;D

IZ.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Indeed! The very book I'm reading right now.

One might say that Lister and Hastur (The Duke's Of Hell) fit the Pin/Tulip model, but they aren't developed enough to really tell.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I always pictured Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar something like The Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

Nelson's Way: Leadership lessons from a great commander by Stephanie JOnes and Jonathan Gosling.

Stephanie is a great friend of mine and she gave me the book a year ago and finally getting around to reading it
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

:eek:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Brideoffrankenstein wrote: :eek:
In a good way?

Amos Oz really is such a great writer :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
In a good way?
Oh yes, it's about a girl growing up in communist China (true story) and well I did communism for history A level so I am aware of what went on but it just leaves me without words what some people went through :cry:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
In a good way?
Oh yes, it's about a girl growing up in communist China (true story) and well I did communism for history A level so I am aware of what went on but it just leaves me without words what some people went through :cry:
Hmm, I should give it a read before I visit the place then, I guess...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Between books at the moment. I had pondered reading Foucault's Pendulum again but I'm not really in the mood.

Hmmmm
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:Between books at the moment. I had pondered reading Foucault's Pendulum again but I'm not really in the mood.

Hmmmm
How about this? I think I might order it.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't like Mark Commode.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:I don't like Mark Commode.
I wouldn't get that then. :lol:

Have you read this? Image

I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh there you go. I've read American Psycho (naturally) and one of Ellis's others (can't remember which :lol:) so thanks, I'll give it a go. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Hellblazer: Pandemonium arrived through my letterbox today - good to see Jamie Delano back at the wheel.
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:
markfiend wrote:I don't like Mark Commode.
I wouldn't get that then. :lol:

Have you read this? Image

I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't. :)

American Psycho is one of my favs so I think I'll get this book ;D

I'm a huge Chuck Palanuik fan but read all his books. :innocent:
Waiting for the new one out in May. Can't wait :]
If you haven't read any of his books, I highly recommend him 8)
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲