Tell me, doctor, is it serious?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I currently have Bobby Gentry's Ode To Billy Joe and Willie Nelson's You Were Always On My Mind playing on repeat in my head.

I remember them from the radio when I was wee - is it possible I've been a closet Country & Western fan all these years? :eek:

Am I redeemed or doubly damned by the fact that I'm also hearing Donovan's Mellow Yellow?
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

both.

take 2 of glen campbell's 'wichita lineman' and go lie down in a dark room.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

:lol:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

You obviously have rhinestones you need vitamin B6, some apples and a daily application of Paint Your Wagon
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Tell me, doctor, is it serious?
Probably fatal.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Erudite wrote:I currently have Bobby Gentry's Ode To Billy Joe and Willie Nelson's You Were Always On My Mind playing on repeat in my head.

I remember them from the radio when I was wee - is it possible I've been a closet Country & Western fan all these years? :eek:

Am I redeemed or doubly damned by the fact that I'm also hearing Donovan's Mellow Yellow?
:eek:
You probably have a fever coming and should do as Herr Administrator says :|
But the artsy Ode To Billy Joe video, with her neon green dress and big 60s hair, is cool! :lol:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote: :eek:
You probably have a fever coming and should do as Herr Administrator says :|
In that case I have become comfortably numb!
damagedone

There is a pill for everything 8)
EvilBastard
Overbomber

In less enlightened times you would be burned at the stake, possibly hanged, drawn and quartered as well. Or a course of leeches.

However, medicine has progressed to the point at which such heroic measures are no longer indicated. Indeed, musical homeopathy may prove to be the most effective treatment in this case when used in a holistic regime:

Breakfast:
1 glass orange juice
1 cup muesli with skimmed milk
Charlie Daniels, Million Mile Reflections

Lunch:
1 pint Guinness
Ham, cheese, and pickle sandwich on wholegrain bread, Colmans Mustard, lettuce, tomato, and no more than 2 pickled onions
Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison

Dinner:
Poached salmon, green beans, boiled potatoes, with hollandaise sauce
2 glasses dry white wine
Dolly Parton, Jolene

Late snack:
1 slice chocolate cake (icing optional)
1 glass scotch
Dusty Springfield, Dusty in Memphis

You'll be back on your feet in no time.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

"I was sitting in a breakfast room in Allantown, Pennsylvania. Four o'clock in the morning. Got up too early, it was a terrible mistake. And I'm sitting there, face-to-face with a 55 cent glass of orange juice. And I said to myself - This is the life!"

FVZ - 200 Hundred Years Old from Bongo Fury

and shouldn't it be hung, not hanged Bastard?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Sita

James Blast wrote:"I was sitting in a breakfast room in Allantown, Pennsylvania. Four o'clock in the morning. Got up too early, it was a terrible mistake. And I'm sitting there, face-to-face with a 55 cent glass of orange juice. And I said to myself - This is the life!"

FVZ - 200 Hundred Years Old from Bongo Fury

and shouldn't it be hung, not hanged Bastard?
I don't know but my guess is that hung would be if you hung up the phone or a towel or yourself, and hanged, if you hung someone else in a lethal way.

Anyway, @ Evil Bastard + Erudite + all, Dolly Parton is a great songwriter and she has many great songs. But "Islands in the Stream" is as terrible as You Were Always On My Mind. In fact you should go and listen to it now Erudite. It could overwrite the Donovan and Nelson tracks (unless you enjoy them of course ;D )
James Blast
Banned

what about the glass of orange juice?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

I'm sure a million people have already said this, but have you tried holding your breath & drinking a glass of water back to front?
:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

"It's love back to front and both sides"

Like I sa-a-ayed ;D
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

Y'all* would be shocked--shocked, I say--at how good drunken translations of TSOM songs into bluegrass style/instrumentation can sound. Especially the FALAA stuff. It works fantastically with acoustics, dobros and banjos. And booze.

*This is the first, last, and only time I will ever use this particular term. Ever.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:"It's love back to front and both sides"

Like I sa-a-ayed ;D
:lol: :lol:

Are you posting this everywhere until it makes sense?
:P
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

Because You're Young, David Bowie from "Scary Monsters and Super Creeps" I honestly thought it was well known :|
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:and shouldn't it be hung, not hanged Bastard?
No, it shouldn't. As the late and lamented judge Sir Edward "Executioner's Friend" Cookham QC remarked while passing sentence on a convicted flasher, "While we have heard evidence that the prisoner at the bar was "bloody well hung", it is verdict of this court that he should be bloody well hanged."

Meat is hung, people are hanged - "hanged by the neck until dead," etc.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Garbageman

There are only so many times your dog gets shot and your wife leaves you.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Sita

sultan2075 - I'm not sure what bluegrass is, but if it's something like the Lambchop version of this Corrosion, that's awesome! :notworthy:
So when you get drunk, you get your country instruments out and play FALAA songs? Next time, please invite me over ;D
psichonaut
Overbomber

could it be a bit contagious?

i'm whistling "you were always on my mind" now ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Sita

Sorry to hear that. Happened to me yesterday too and I blame it on this thread. Actually I caught myself whisteling it aloud when I was doing the dishes. Help! I thought very hard of Islands in the Stream, and then it went away :|
Dolly's+Kenny's is a terrible song but better than ... that other one ... if I type the name I'll probably be hearing it again.
Thanks Erudite :urff:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Sita wrote:sultan2075 - I'm not sure what bluegrass is, but if it's something like the Lambchop version of this Corrosion, that's awesome! :notworthy:
So when you get drunk, you get your country instruments out and play FALAA songs? Next time, please invite me over ;D
Close to Lambchop--it tends to be much faster. Lots of acoustic guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, etc. It has roots in the Appalachian mountains of the United States (so it has deeper roots in England/Ireland/Scotland I'd guess), and bluegrass players can usually play circles around anybody else. As one commentator put it, "the bluegrass that's not loving Mama, Jesus, or the mountains is plotting to get drunk, murder its own kids, shoot the dog, and then burn the family Bible."

There's been something of a resurgence in bluegrass in the US in the last few years. As punk-rock became commodified, a lot of punks started playing other styles of music, including bluegrass. And, in the US at least, the best country-and-western music (as well as related styles) today is pretty much done by old punks (see the Supersuckers, Hank Williams III and Corb Lund & the Hurtin' Albertans, for example).

Some examples of the style:
The Del Mcroury Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWca9aIKqnA
Steve Earle, live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jngBrzeu-4U
the Pine Box Boys (gimmicky, but still pretty good): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cj2EzmyRmw

edit: it's unconscionable of me not to also mention Slim Cessna's Autoclub, who don't fit easily into any particular genre-labels, but are one of the greatest bands I've ever heard. Simply amazing, and probably something a lot of HL posters would like.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Francis
Overbomber

Just be grateful your Pa didn't name you Sue.

Or Francis.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
TallicA_dude
Road Kill

or Delmar! pretty common here!lol :lol: