'Vision Thing' different mixes?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

j3 wrote:Ah, thats too bad, you'd think that alternate versions, if they exist, would've surfaced by now.
8)
Why is that?

Did you ever hear the SKOS demo or Never Land full length before the 2006 re-issue's? I think not.
"as we walk on the floodland"
j3
Road Kill

It would've been nice to see on the remaster for one. But its not like alternate versions of past songs prior to Vision Thing haven't shown up through unofficial sources. The reason I say it's too bad is because I myself would like to hear those other mixes. Like some of us have managed to hear or collect other unreleased stuff. It would just be cool to hear these, if they really exist.
8)
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

There are a multitude of alternate mixes from the LP on the various singles... If you must, you can use the remixes of Vision Thing, Doctor Jeep, and WYDSM to pad the LP out to a bit longer. the 12" mix of VT is stunning.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ozpat wrote:
j3 wrote:Ah, thats too bad, you'd think that alternate versions, if they exist, would've surfaced by now.
8)
Why is that?

Did you ever hear the SKOS demo or Never Land full length before the 2006 re-issue's? I think not.
IIRC, in that "Classic Rock" interview a while back, I get the impression that :von: strongly implies that one or both of those are fakes.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
Ozpat wrote:
8)
Why is that?

IIRC, in that "Classic Rock" interview a while back, I get the impression that :von: strongly implies that one or both of those are fakes.
I take it you're talking about the VT mixes and not the SKOS demo and full length Never Land (both of which appear on an official release).
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd always assumed that the single version of WYDSM was one of these alternate mixes. Makes sense in a way: "we can't be bothered doing a proper remix for the single, let's just put on one we didn't use on the LP". ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lachert
Overbomber

mh wrote:I'd always assumed that the single version of WYDSM was one of these alternate mixes. Makes sense in a way: "we can't be bothered doing a proper remix for the single, let's just put on one we didn't use on the LP". ;D
i hate WYDSM, specially played live, worst song on vt, but you're right about single version, it's much better then lp one, almost acceptable :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Seconded, lachert ... I really don't care for any single or whatever version of WYDSM ... :urff: ...

WYDSM is the worst Sisters song ever - not only on VT.
I like the title, but IMHO, the lyrics are simply way off the mark ...
and the whole song is entirely falling short of it's reason, which is the worst about it ...

Can't tell how glad I am, they've given up to play it live ... :notworthy: ...

Anyway, most presumably they will do it again ... :urff: ...

so here, I gotta confess: I do NOT like ALL of The Sisters' songs ...
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

i quite like WYDSM. true, it's not the girls at their best, but it's a nice enough tune. and a catchy one at that ;D

unlike colours and 1959, which i invariably skip. waste of time, both of them.
lachert
Overbomber

other way, WYDSM is my fav one at the gigs to get another beer or go to toilet. i need track like this, don't you? :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

tr00 :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i still wouldn't like colours on the setlist though :urff:

anyways, those of us glued to the barriers can't afford to wander off in pursuit of booze or pay a visit to the privy, regardless of what's playing :innocent:
lachert
Overbomber

LouLou wrote:anyways, those of us glued to the barriers can't afford to wander off in pursuit of booze or pay a visit to the privy, regardless of what's playing :innocent:
yeah
we don't care what they may play
we got that attitude
we don't care what they may do
we got that attitude :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:IIRC, in that "Classic Rock" interview a while back, I get the impression that :von: strongly implies that one or both of those are fakes.
I take it you're talking about the VT mixes and not the SKOS demo and full length Never Land (both of which appear on an official release).
Nope. One of SKOS demo or Never Land full-length is fake.

Here's the quote:
Eldritch wrote:They re-released our albums a few years ago and they spelled the title of Vision Thing wrong on the spine of the CD. I would never have let that pass. I was also told that there's a version of one song which never existed until they started fucking with the masters, which really annoys me. It was made up out of out-takes and other bits and pieces!
I would guess that he means the Never Land full-length version TBH.

The scans are p1 and p3; the money-quote is near the top of p3.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Here's the quote:
Eldritch wrote:They re-released our albums a few years ago and they spelled the title of Vision Thing wrong on the spine of the CD. I would never have let that pass. I was also told that there's a version of one song which never existed until they started fucking with the masters, which really annoys me. It was made up out of out-takes and other bits and pieces!
I would guess that he means the Never Land full-length version TBH.
I suppose that would explain the statement on the official site that there is no full length version. On the other hand, there was clearly more song than we originally got. It's not just alternate lyrics and takes. The official version was a fragment of a longer song, even if Eldritch chose not to release (and possibly even record) it in that form.

I'd never noticed the misspelling. Sloppy.
mh
Above the Chemist

There was also the interview where he described what Never Land was about, which was utter rambling madness in the absence of the extra lyrics. So obviously some kind of version of it featuring those lyrics did exist at some point, and likely was considered as being the version of the song at the time.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: I would guess that he means the Never Land full-length version TBH.
Yes. The SKOS demo strikes me as so bad that it could only be real. Nobody would fake that.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:
markfiend wrote: I would guess that he means the Never Land full-length version TBH.
Yes. The SKOS demo strikes me as so bad that it could only be real. Nobody would fake that.
:lol: Indeed.
—Bertrand Russell
scotty
Overbomber

If any good versions turn up I'd be interested :roll: ..............quicker to search for a Unicorn I suspect.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:Yes. The SKOS demo strikes me as so bad that it could only be real. Nobody would fake that.
TFFT. I thought it was just me that thought it a load of old s**t. The guitar sounds like a cat being strangled. Reach for the "Skip" button and back onto Black Planet.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Being645
Wiki Wizard

... :lol: ... hell, it's not really a Demo!

It's just somebody testing a few settings ... :D ... not intended for the public ... :wink: ...

I like it, though ... ;D :lol: ...
atom
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:... :lol: ... hell, it's not really a Demo!

It's just somebody testing a few settings ... :D ... not intended for the public ... :wink: ...

I like it, though ... ;D :lol: ...
imho
it starts well - all abit lo-fi which is quite "in" these days :lol: but then it does tend to require faffing about with the EQ levels to keep it from veering off into early rounds of x-factor indulgence :?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

atom wrote:... to keep it from veering off into early rounds of x-factor indulgence :?
... which it definitely can't avoid in the last parts ... :wink: ... :D ... hell, dreams mostly start from scratch ...
James Blast
Banned

this is all such a dreary fiction, this is what it has come to
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Yeh,... very, ..very ..gloomy ... ... Image ... ...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...