1988 / 1989 demos ?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Flood
Road Kill

Last week, i came across a demo of More which is a fake and unrelated to the Sisters of course.

this leads me to wonder if some real demos for the VT album have already surfaced one way or another? i never heard about any 88-89 demos in the trading circle.
I Am The Jaw
Road Kill

I think it was written in the studio? I read that they went into the studio (Puk in Denmark) with no songs and then created the whole thing there (a real expensive way to make a record). If that was the case then there are probably no 'home demos' of the tracks. I have heard there are many alternate mixes of the tracks (not remixes, just different vocal takes and guitar takes) that were done at Puk but I've never heard them.

I heard that some of the songs (not sure which ones) were written/recorded in only a few days before the completion deadline.
mh
Above the Chemist

Well there is the old Untitled instrumental (not that one, the other one) that bears a passing resemblance to I Was Wrong for starters. If it was the genesis of the song then it dates it as probably the oldest VT track, going back to the Floodland era ("sitting here now in this bar for hours"/"in a bar that's always closing").

To the best of my knowledge that's all that's publicly available.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Flood
Road Kill

Andrew and Patricia worked on demos in Hamburg back in 89.
i don't know if these have later formed some tracks of the VT album though.

But Detonation Bd, Dr Jeep and When you don't see me existed before the recording sessions at Puk.
mh wrote:Well there is the old Untitled instrumental (not that one, the other one) that bears a passing resemblance to I Was Wrong for starters. If it was the genesis of the song then it dates it as probably the oldest VT track, going back to the Floodland era ("sitting here now in this bar for hours"/"in a bar that's always closing").
Is it the instrumental from the Floodland demos we all know or another one?
mh
Above the Chemist

Flood wrote:Is it the instrumental from the Floodland demos we all know or another one?
That's the one. There was a discussion here about it years ago and it was generally agreed that it could be a proto-IWW.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Flood wrote:Last week, i came across a demo of More which is a fake and unrelated to the Sisters of course.

this leads me to wonder if some real demos for the VT album have already surfaced one way or another? i never heard about any 88-89 demos in the trading circle.

weird, i was pretty certain i saw VT demos in trading lists from time to time. might be the alternate cuts, but still...
iesus
Overbomber

i think that there must be some demo cause, i remember very well an interview of Tony James saying about recording over 100 times a track at the point he or any other could not hear any difference except :von: ofc :)
it was an amazing interview that one
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

I think it's reasonable to say that any demos in lists are just doctored studio versions. If anything really did exist it would be known about.