Sisters memorabilia on show at Leeds Town Hall

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

taylor wrote:the more interesting item is the rejected poster for Anaconda, i have the same on my bedroom wall :D
Me too :D

Also, I saw the clock picture at the Leeds gigs in Feb, it does say 'The Sisters of Mercy' on it but no reference to any song or tour that i can remember
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

The clock poster was an ad for a gig. Couldn't tell you what year though.

There were other Sisters posters in the crypt, one from the smoke and mirrors tour and one for the off the streets benefit gig.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for the photos. Nice to see the top of that amp, and the Anaconda poster certainly is interesting.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Suleiman wrote:The clock poster was an ad for a gig. Couldn't tell you what year though.
Yup, I think it's one from the last US tour? Either way they also brought it along on the XXX tour, either Koen or Andrew has a copy of it...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote:http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/news/livenews.htm

In completely unrelated news, some Sisters memorabilia is on show at 'Where Were You?: Leeds Music History Exhibition' at Leeds Museum this month. It starts on Thursday 11th August and finishes on Saturday 27th August.

:von: 8)

And the official blurb:

Where Were You? Leeds Music History Exhibition
Leeds Town Hall Crypt (downstairs, under the Hall, enter via the side entrance)

Preview: Thursday 11th August 2011 5pm to 7pm with performance from Gary Stewart

Exhibition opening times: Friday 12th August 2011 to Saturday 27th August 2011. 9am to 5pm every day except Sundays.

Fundraiser gig Friday 19th August at the Brudenell Social Club, all Leeds bands including covers of Leeds songs. Featuring members of Pale Saints, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Three Johns and other familiar faces from the Leeds scene.

This exhibition celebrates the music culture of Leeds through a unique collection of memorabilia, records, programmes, posters, t-shirts, instruments, awards and artworks that tell some of the stories of the Leeds music scene over the last sixty years. It's been put together in true DIY spirit that fans of the Leeds scene will recognise, and aims to make some noise about the great music that is made and played in Leeds. We have been overwhelmed at the generosity of fans, promoters and musicians that have sent their memorabilia from the far flung corners of the globe - there are some real treasures here. Come and have a look and share your memories of great Leeds bands, gigs and venues. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see this collection of stuff - don't miss it!

www.leedsmusichistory.org

Facebook event for the exhibtion:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=155393497873302

Facebook event for the fundraiser gig:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=261413050536465

Article on Leeds Music Scene:
http://www.leedsmusicscene.net/article/15138/

Edit: Have updated it with the correct dates, now that the Sisters site has been updated with the correct dates, and also added the official press release

have updated the first post with the official blurb and the correct dates :D

also, i got an email off the organisers (Katie), which informs me that "one of the other organisers is Andie Mills who joined Salvation in 1989", and also that the exhibition "has loads of salvation, sisters, march violets stuff" 8)

:notworthy: :von:

wish i could get to it :cry:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Above the Chemist

taylor wrote:very sadness corner

if me, VOC, Ficoll do our personal sisters museum we need the Wembley Arena ;D :lol:
looking forward to this ... I will surely come and visit as it's surely gonna be a permanent installation .... ;D ... :lol: ...
Quiff wrote: wish i could get to it :cry:
Me too ...
thanks however for all the additional info ... gives a bit more of an idea and food for at least some imaginary visit ... :notworthy: ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i've also updated this thread's title.

it's not at leeds museum (as the sissies site suggests) - it's in the gallery space underneath the town hall :roll: ;D

i gather the organisers are going to nip over to the museum and let them know they may get confused would-be visitors dropping in so they can point them in the right direction :lo:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh .... :eek: :eek: :eek: ...

* hurrying off to the change that bit in the Wiki where I've made mention of it on the Main Page

(which is still called "Wiki Home" :urff: at the moment, btw) ... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ... :lol: ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Being645 wrote: (which is still called "Wiki Home" :urff: at the moment, btw)
that better? :)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:
Being645 wrote: (which is still called "Wiki Home" :urff: at the moment, btw)
that better? :)
Yes ... ;D ;D ;D ... thanks ... :notworthy: ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

found this agenda of talks etc

Lunchtime performances and talks (1-2pm) coming up include:

Monday 15th Aug: the Grey Catz
Tuesday 16th Aug: talk from Alaric Neville (manager of The Bridewell Taxis, and involved in Cud, Chumbawamba, The Oysterband etc) and Boff Whalley from Chumbawamba
Wednesday 17th Aug: James Turner
Thursday 18th Aug: talk from Mick McCann, author of 'How Leeds Changed The World', and who played with Leeds post punk band 'Hang The Dance'
Friday 19th Aug: Gary Kaye (The Psycho Surgeons)
Sat 20th: tbc
Monday 22nd August: Dave Lynch
Tuesday 23rd August: Talk from John Keenan, the Godfather of the Leeds music scene over the last 35 years and promoter of The Duchess, The Irish Centre, The New Roscoe plus The F Club and Futurama events at the Queen's Hall
Weds 24th August: tbc
Thursday 25th August: tbc
Fri 26th August: Miranda Arieh
Sat 27th Aug: The Blind Dead McJones Band
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
taylor wrote:very sadness corner

if me, VOC, Ficoll do our personal sisters museum we need the Wembley Arena ;D :lol:
looking forward to this ... I will surely come and visit as it's surely gonna be a permanent installation .... ;D ... :lol: ...
Is there room for my t shirts at the Wembley exhibition? :innocent:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Tuesday 23rd August: Talk from John Keenan, the Godfather of the Leeds music scene over the last 35 years and promoter of The Duchess, The Irish Centre, The New Roscoe plus The F Club and Futurama events at the Queen's Hall
Sounds like it might be good
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Emerald Green
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:found this agenda of talks etc

Tuesday 16th Aug: talk from Alaric Neville (manager of The Bridewell Taxis, and involved in Cud, Chumbawamba, The Oysterband etc) and Boff Whalley from Chumbawamba
Thursday 18th Aug: talk from Mick McCann, author of 'How Leeds Changed The World', and who played with Leeds post punk band 'Hang The Dance'
Looks like they're hoping to put some of these talks out as podcasts - that'd be great as I'd love to hear the John Keenan one myself too.

Hopefully I'll get over on Friday to see the exhibition, take some snaps and hear from Gary Kaye.
True Love Doth Pass Away
the-happening

Obviousman wrote:
Suleiman wrote:The clock poster was an ad for a gig. Couldn't tell you what year though.
Yup, I think it's one from the last US tour? Either way they also brought it along on the XXX tour, either Koen or Andrew has a copy of it...
It's from the Regency Grand Balroom 26th November 2008.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
the-happening

The exhibition is worth a viewing if you are in the area, it includes items from:

The March Violets - Posters, record sleeves
D-ROK (Denbighs cock rock offering)
Salvation (Ben Farvak gig passes) and record sleeves
La Cost Rasa (Andie Mills t-shirt, poster and couple of records)
The m*****n Mick Brown gold disks for Gods own and Children
Elvis Presleys from Hell - Photo inc Adam Pearson
SISTERS Amp, guitar, photos, t-shirt, posters.

Amp used on Damage Done:

Methedrone
Amphetamine Filth

the-happening wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
It's from the Regency Grand Balroom 26th November 2008.
Damian
Amphetamine Filth

I gather Wrath Records have added some stuff to the exhibition, so there might be some Eureka Machines stuff in there too. Don't know though as it's rather far for me to visit!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

write up on the bbc website :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14505998

also check out photos 2 (the sisters) and 6 (march violets) 8)
Spiggy's hat

the-happening wrote:The exhibition is worth a viewing if you are in the area, it includes items from:

The March Violets - Posters, record sleeves
D-ROK (Denbighs cock rock offering)
Salvation (Ben Farvak gig passes) and record sleeves
La Cost Rasa (Andie Mills t-shirt, poster and couple of records)
The m*****n Mick Brown gold disks for Gods own and Children
Elvis Presleys from Hell - Photo inc Adam Pearson
SISTERS Amp, guitar, photos, t-shirt, posters.

I have that orange ticket (top left)

Doctor & the Medics supported by Salvation at Leeds uni in March 1986. The gig was actually postponed until May & Salvation weren't the support band for the re-scheduled date. From memory, I think that the gig was postponed when Sigue Sigue Sputnick booked a gig at the Poly on the same night.
Give me one good reason
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i've got quite a lot of those sallies passes, posters and bits n bobs too...

hunter and choque both gave me bagfuls of stuff to scan in when i was doing the sallies site a few years ago 8)
the-happening

Quiff Boy wrote:i've got quite a lot of those sallies passes, posters and bits n bobs too...

hunter and choque both gave me bagfuls of stuff to scan in when i was doing the sallies site a few years ago 8)
Fancy a trade? :innocent:
snowey

Quiff Boy wrote:found this agenda of talks etc

There must have been a change of plan today as it was Andy Mills playing today not Miranda Arieh.

Not a bad set, started at 1.40 and finished at 2.20.

My little lad sat on the front row playing with some colouring pencils and paper shouting "It's to loud"... :lol:

QB, heather said she will send you a copy of the DVD she done as it fetures our Mark a little bit. :innocent: :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

the-happening wrote:Amp used on Damage Done:
Aaaah, it was the amp then! :notworthy:
Andrew had a very cheap guitar and a three-watt practice amp - the kind of equipment you might find in a packet of cornflakes ..... The guitar parts were played upon the guitar, but that three-watt practice amp sounded ... like a three-watt practice amp.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

Cool to see the amp, besides on the pic on the official website.

I wish I could play my bass on that thing. :lol:

Thanks!
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE