Andrew Eldritch: Why won't you release a new Sisters LP?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Are you switching off?
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't know how this post got on to a criticism about FALAA but my sixpence worth is this..

The only reason folk go complaining about stuff is that they have spent so many years listening to it and saying how wonderful it is they have run out of superlatives. Because there isn't any other product to say anything about the only thing is to say something s**t about the few recorded bits that have been made available and that everybody has played to death years ago.

If Bowie had stopped at Diamond Dogs fans would be saying that Ziggy Stardust LP doesn't really make sense and why the f*ck did he include "It Ain't Easy" it doesn't go with anything. Instead they have the whole of the 80's to bitch about.

As Sisters fans we do not have that luxury because we do not have that amount of output
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
James Blast
Banned

Burzum wrote:Are you switching off?
from this, yeah
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

IMHO, the whole idea around this forum was that about 100% of the people wandering here agree that the Sisters is a fantastic band, and their discography absolutely incredible.
This being said, I don't think it's such a blasphemy to say that even if the song writing on this album is just amazing, and certainly the best in this period, I think the production does not uplift the songs.
Floodland does not suffer from this. And it has not been recorded decades after FALAA, nor been recorded after a multi platinum album which would have given the band an unlimited recording budget (ok, I agree, there is much more money in Floodland than in FALAA).

As for your comparison Million Voices, I must say I still have (after nearly 30 years) the same pleasure and excitment when listening to this album that has changed my life. And I think it goes better with time (in terms of songwritng that is). I love Bowie and don't really like Young Americans for instance.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Burzum wrote:I love Bowie and don't really like Young Americans for instance.
Everybody loves Bowie and no one likes Young Americans.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

Really? every time I mention this, people just look at me with the "poor guy" stare
shall we talk about "black ties white noise"?
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Burzum wrote:IMHO, the whole idea around this forum was that about 100% of the people wandering here agree that the Sisters is a fantastic band, and their discography absolutely incredible.
This being said, I don't think it's such a blasphemy to say that even if the song writing on this album is just amazing, and certainly the best in this period, I think the production does not uplift the songs.
Floodland does not suffer from this. And it has not been recorded decades after FALAA, nor been recorded after a multi platinum album which would have given the band an unlimited recording budget (ok, I agree, there is much more money in Floodland than in FALAA).

As for your comparison Million Voices, I must say I still have (after nearly 30 years) the same pleasure and excitment when listening to this album that has changed my life. And I think it goes better with time (in terms of songwritng that is). I love Bowie and don't really like Young Americans for instance.
Same here. I love everyone of Bowies albums except Young Americans. I just don´t get it.

ps: not really true, there are a few more I cannot stand: Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Black Tie White Noise and most of Outside. But they do not count as classics so......
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I think "Young Americans" is wonderful

And I would count "Outside" as a classic, possibly the best thing he has ever done
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
cheyler196
Road Kill

ARE WE NOT MEN...??

No...we are Devo.

I haven't really been interested since the band turned from pop to heavy metal. That's what, 20 years now?
cheyler196
Road Kill

What would you give to be in the position of being able to do just exactly and only what you WANT to do, WHEN you want to do it and being under no psychological or financial pressure to do ANYTHING AT ALL?

Somewhere in there is the reason why.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There's a well-known equation :

performance = ability x motivation

The ability is clearly there in spades, but the motivation ... I often wonder about the impact of :von: 's allegedly nomadic childhood (following his RAF father around) on his later life. Dropping out from two uni courses after barely a year, inability to make professional friendships last, lack of desire to create new material, etc. etc. It would have made for a fantastic edition of "On the Psychiatrist's Couch"", but I respect his desire for privacy.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There's a well-known equation :

performance = ability x motivation

The ability is clearly there in spades, but the motivation ... I often wonder about the impact of :von: 's allegedly nomadic childhood (following his RAF father around) on his later life. Dropping out from two uni courses after barely a year, inability to make professional friendships last, lack of desire to create new material, etc. etc. It would have made for a fantastic edition of "On the Psychiatrist's Couch"", but I respect his desire for privacy.
I know I read before that his father was RAF also, but where is the source for this rumor? Is there an interview some where that vouches for this?

Alas, this is probably the kind of speculation Chris finds amusing reading without sources.

Although it's true, in my experience, that those that have had a nomadic childhood tend to be perceived as aloof to many. I don't see how this has any bearing in regards to Sisters records and the frequency of their recording, production and release?
"... because we're that kind of people."
Sita

@Prescott - source is Eldritch himself, 1988, 89 or so, in a German TV interview. Doc Sommer :notworthy: subbed it English.
I don't remember in which part. You'll have to watch all 3 of them now ;D

Offbeat Interview with Andrew Eldritch (german tv/english subtitled) 1/3

PS - his German is just so absolutely, really, incredibly good :eek: He doesn't even really have much of a British accent (I mean - compared to your average English German speaker), rather a Hamburg accent.
Prescott

Sita wrote:@Prescott - source is Eldritch himself, 1988, 89 or so, in a German TV interview. Doc Sommer :notworthy: subbed it English.
I don't remember in which part. You'll have to watch all 3 of them now ;D

Offbeat Interview with Andrew Eldritch (german tv/english subtitled) 1/3

PS - his German is just so absolutely, really, incredibly good :eek: He doesn't even really have much of a British accent (I mean - compared to your average English German speaker), rather a Hamburg accent.
Alright! I knew I heard it/read it in an interview somewhere before. Thanks Sita. I guess the "soldier in the army of the Rhine" reference might have something to do with it then? Maybe he spent some time living in Germany on a base or something and that's why he's so fluent?

Edit:

Sita it was actually this MTV interview with Bruhn that he quickly mentioned it. He also refers to himself more as a politician. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0PdXIj ... ata_player
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

cheyler196 wrote:ARE WE NOT MEN...??

No...we are Devo.

I haven't really been interested since the band turned from pop to heavy metal. That's what, 20 years now?
No!!! That's just since the last album! :lol:
Sita

Given what you hear from the recent gigs in Dublin and London, it's time to revive this topic...

PLEASE Sisters, do an official live recording!
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Sita wrote:Given what you hear from the recent gigs in Dublin and London, it's time to revive this topic...

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... lovely, Sita ... :notworthy: ...

I look soo forward to any recordings from that gig in London. Been to have a view of the venue on Saturday, when there played The Damned ... outside were some street sellers offering live recordings from the gig to come ... for 10 quid or so ... and there were the same street sellers of tickets as at The Sisters' gig. Seems those guy get the tics from others who buy them up earlier to make good profit. At both gigs, those ticket sellers did not look exactly happy ... no matter, as long as the gig were nonetheless sold out.
Prescott

Sita wrote:Given what you hear from the recent gigs in Dublin and London, it's time to revive this topic...

*sigh*
Mav787
One life, all I need

Being645 wrote:

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... lovely, Sita ... :notworthy: ...

I look soo forward to any recordings from that gig in London. Been to have a view of the venue on Saturday, when there played The Damned ... outside were some street sellers offering live recordings from the gig to come ... for 10 quid or so ... and there were the same street sellers of tickets as at The Sisters' gig. Seems those guy get the tics from others who buy them up earlier to make good profit. At both gigs, those ticket sellers did not look exactly happy ... no matter, as long as the gig were nonetheless sold out.
Those street sellers at The Damned where from
http://www.concertlive.co.uk/

The Damned had employed them to record and sell the show. They've also been used by Killing Joke and Iggy.

The recordings are done quick and can highlight flaws in the show. I don't think this is what the Sisters would have in mind for their first official live recording.
Tilburg - Brussels
Dan
Overbomber

Mav787 wrote:Those street sellers at The Damned where from

The Damned had employed them to record and sell the show. They've also been used by Killing Joke and Iggy.

The recordings are done quick and can highlight flaws in the show. I don't think this is what the Sisters would have in mind for their first official live recording.
I've wondered about those people (and others offering the same service).
Do they record from the soundboard?
EDIT: Ah they do, there's a Sky News clip on the site.
Mav787
One life, all I need

Dan wrote:
Mav787 wrote:Those street sellers at The Damned where from

I've wondered about those people (and others offering the same service).
Do they record from the soundboard?
I would have thought so but i'm not sure. I was at the Killing Joke show at Hammersmith in 2010 that they recorded. It was noticeable on one song, in particular, how out of tune Youth's backing vocals were but on the live recording you couldn't hear him on that song!
Dan
Overbomber

Mav787 wrote:I would have thought so but i'm not sure. I was at the Killing Joke show at Hammersmith in 2010 that they recorded. It was noticeable on one song, in particular, how out of tune Youth's backing vocals were but on the live recording you couldn't hear him on that song!
They do, I found a Sky News clip on their site explaining what they do, talking about people backstage mixing/remixing.etc.

The reason I asked was... I'd envisioned the Sisters hiring them to do a gig... everyone getting their hopes up... and then finding out it was just recorded by some guy in the audience. :lol: :twisted:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yeah, it's not like the old live albums recorded on the rolling stones mobile and then mixed and mastered back in the studio, is it?

they're straight from the desk, unmixed, unedited & unmastered. while this may provide an "accurate" picture of the gig from the audience pov (like boots do), it's not exactly a polished live album is it?

these are essentially just like the old sisters mx bootlegs, but some company is making a wadge from them. as such, they're everything the sisters have never liked about bootlegs, and exactly the opposite of the audience & fan recordings we trade freely here (and which the band know about and turn a blind eye to)

i can't see the sisters going for that tbh.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Sita

I see. I never heard any of these super fast recordings. Been to a couple of gigs where they were offering them, like Iggy or Einstürzende Neubauten, but the price was a bit high for something as unsexy as a USB stick ;D
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Wey hey - it's only my favourite Sisters topic (and Von's least). Following on from the most recent interview, it would be great if anyone could get from the man himself any indication what the purely hypothetical, quantum locked, Holy Grail-elusive, Ark of the Covenant-deadly fourth album might ever sound like? Themes etc?
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground