Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

elevation wrote:Very nice for the Pratchett book.

I am currently reading Kate Mosse's Labyrinth - can't bring myself to finish it, though, cause it's my travel abroad reading and I haven't travelled for a while.
That black color for your links doesn't rhyme with my board theme I have to say ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Stephen R Donaldson Against All Things Ending

Back on the Thomas Covenant vibe. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase <3 (reading it for the second time in a row).
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Just finished "Rule 34" by Charles Stross

Now reading "Company of Liars" by Karen Maitland
Being645
Wiki wizard

SINsister wrote:We Are the 99 Percent
Lovely, thanks for the link ...

ah, and welcome back (unknown whatsoever...)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Being645 wrote:Lovely, thanks for the link ...

You're welcome! I've been debating whether or not to add my own ongoing tale of woe to that site; still haven't decided (seems a tad dangerous...then again, I tend not to trust anyone. Alas. :()...

Thanks! It's been too long, really. I've been living a hermit-like existence, for all intents and purposes, and I've really missed my old friends. ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

you lived in somebody's garden in a shed type thing?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki wizard

SINsister wrote:
Being645 wrote:Lovely, thanks for the link ...

You're welcome! I've been debating whether or not to add my own ongoing tale of woe to that site; still haven't decided (seems a tad dangerous...then again, I tend not to trust anyone. Alas. :()...
Oh, I can imagine...
Can't stop ranting about such issues (as you will sooner or later notice, anyway ) ... :lol: ...
So, probably my name were long in that list - possible consequences included ... f**k 'em!
Anyway, for those who prefer to keep more anonymous or who live in other coutries,
there's always online petitions as such ...

In fact, I'm really starting to think, there could be some hope in it, not only for America.
And in a way, this is perhaps the sort of support Obama had needed to get more of his
initial agenda implemented ...

SINsister wrote: Thanks! It's been too long, really. I've been living a hermit-like existence, for all intents and purposes, and I've really missed my old friends. ;D
Yeah, sometimes going away makes things worse, not better ...
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Rik Mayall "Bigger than Hitler, better than Christ"

Can't help but wish he'd written an actual autobiography rather than a train of consciousness book by "Ritchie", but it does have some chuckles in. No-one has yet incidentally taken me up on my offer to pay them to edit out every single scene with Alexei Sayle in from my "Young Ones" DVD's and replace him with nearly anyone else apart from Russel Brand or Russel Howard.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Sita

John Vermeulen, De Ekster op de Galg or Die Elster auf dem Galgen or The Magpie on the Gallows. A historic novel about Pieter Bruegel the elder and the time when Spain ruled the Netherlands. Quite good. Although I wonder why historic novels always got the most trashy sex scenes of all. It's like a mandatory thing :?:
Salome wrote:Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase <3 (reading it for the second time in a row).
Read that too, it is soo good! :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:...anyone else apart from Russel Brand or Russel Howard.
What have you got about people called Russel? :lol:

To be fair I find neither of those particular Russels in any way funny.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm teaching Aristophanes' Clouds this semester. Very funny. I'd like to have the time to read more from him.

I've also been re-reading Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy, purely for fun on the weekends. Very insightful, and on occasion very depressing.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:John Vermeulen, De Ekster op de Galg or Die Elster auf dem Galgen or The Magpie on the Gallows. A historic novel about Pieter Bruegel the elder and the time when Spain ruled the Netherlands. Quite good. Although I wonder why historic novels always got the most trashy sex scenes of all. It's like a mandatory thing :?:
Salome wrote:Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase <3 (reading it for the second time in a row).
Read that too, it is soo good! :notworthy:
Oh, it is! I <3 Murakami 8)

And you are so right about the historic novels (which I also love reading)! I guess they think that historical stories are just too boring and needs to be spiced up as much as possible so that people would read them.. :.P
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:
DeWinter wrote:...anyone else apart from Russel Brand or Russel Howard.
What have you got about people called Russel? :lol:

To be fair I find neither of those particular Russels in any way funny.
I don't know! English comedians called Russel just aren't funny. I swear both only have careers because fat teenage girls and gay men find them attractive!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

"Reamde" by Neal Stephenson was geeky fun.

Plus I re-read (for the first time since I was about 18) 'Watchtower', 'The Dancers of Arun', and 'The Northern Girl' (all by Elizabeth A. Lynn) - I'm finding that owning a Kindle is encouraging me to rediscover books I sold for beer- & cigarette-money years ago.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:I don't know! English comedians called Russel just aren't funny. I swear both only have careers because fat teenage girls and gay men find them attractive!
I thought Russel Howard was more popular with "ladies of a certain age"; he seems to bring out the mothering instinct. :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lazarus corporation wrote:I'm finding that owning a Kindle is encouraging me to rediscover books I sold for beer- & cigarette-money years ago.
Yeah, me too.

And it's great for books downloaded from Project Gutenberg; far better than trying to read from a computer screen (or even worse, a smartphone :urff:)

I'm trying to decide whether to read Ulysses or Wuthering Heights next...
—Bertrand Russell
Sita

I'm all for Wuthering heights <3 <3 <3 :oops: but then I'm a girl, so... :lol:
I made a first attempt at Ulysses in English when I was in school, and gave up. Then, years later, read it in uni, and it's brilliant, but without a lot of aid it's impossible to comprehend, if you're not an original speaker and know a lot of background information.
Izzy HaveMercy

The new Pratchett is out! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/038561926X

IZ.
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

I'm still in the Peter Guralnik Elvis bios. Have just started "careless love", the second volume.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Bertrand Russell: Science and Religion
Izzy HaveMercy

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:The new Pratchett is out! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/038561926X

IZ.

..... and reading the eBook right now! Marvellous as ever, and only 15 pages in ;D

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah I'm reading Snuff too. Afraid it beat the "classic lit" option. :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell