New Model Army's Studio destroyed by fire

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paul
Overbomber

"New Model Army's studio has been destroyed by fire: the mill next door burned down and his room was wrecked by smoke heat and water as the firemen used their window to put the hoses on the flames. All the beautiful guitars, the big mixing desk, the memorabilia, handwritten lyrics - everything all gone. We haven't been allowed in the building yet but Michael Dean got a quick look and reckons it's looking like 99% of the bands stuff has gone. We wont know the full insurance situation until after Xmas. Keep the band in your thoughts. X" - Joolz Denby

OK - the boys have been let into the studio and anything uncovered in the face of the blaze was destroyed, including a wall-mounted rack of beloved old Les Pauls, SGs, Lowdens etc reduced to a charred twisted mess. All the studio recording equipment, the Hammond, the WASP, the harmonium, Robert's remaining Slingerland drum kit, much of Michael Dean's kit has all gone too. But - some of the touring gear which was in hard cases may be salvageable (we have to see what the luthier says about the cased guitars) although its all soaked through. The bag of lyrics has been found and may with care be saved. There is hope, folks, and never forget, it's only stuff and can mostly be replaced, no one was hurt, and that's the most important thing. Thank you again for your kind good wishes. And thanks to the fire service for being, well, brave and generally wonderful.

Just seen the video footage from the burnt-out studio - pure devastation. Terrible. Thank the Goddess no one was in there at the time it must have been an inferno. Salvage operations under way, the stuff in hard cases which had not been unpacked after the tour are looking good, but man. the rest is just a twisted blackened ruin with all the roof caved in. So sorry for the lads.

Joolz Denby Suggest people check out www.newmodelarmy.org where all the pics and up to date info will be posted when the lads have had a wash, rest and some food.There are loads rumours flying about but if if it's on there, it's official.
[/quote]
Pista
Cureboi

That's a good thing innit?
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

A lovely Christmas surprise ... I wouldn't wish it to anyone ...
paul
Overbomber

Pista wrote:That's a good thing innit?
:innocent:
That's exactly the kind of reaction that made me decide some time ago not to post that much around here anymore ...:urff:
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

@paul: Sorry fella, i think they are right.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Terrible news. That's really sad. I'm lost for words :?
circle

Sad news. :(
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Always the good ones are the unlucky ones, but NMA have survived so many difficult circumstances, i m sure they won't let a fire set them back.
One of the best bands ever to walk on this bloody planet!
snowey

Video now up of the damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-VAOTuVD14

Very sad day for the band.
Batty Von Blingtrash
Amphetamine Filth

Horrible news - just glad no one was hurt.

Sad thinking about all that history gone in a moment. Fantastic live band (well worth the bruising!)
Somebody tell me about the rhythm of the 4th floor.
rian
Slight Overbomber

:(
yt words are not worthy.....
I think someone set my soul alight
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I would go mad. Even with nobody hurt, I would probably hurt myself when the studio went up in flames... I know it is 'just equipment' for most people, but lots of gear carry a story, a very intimate story most of the time, so I can relate when musicians/studio engineers feel almost as much grief as with losing a friend or family member.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
pikkrong
Overbomber

that's very sad. one of the best bands ever and even if it happened to anyone else - that would be awful anyway.
I don't have to say anything new... just some days ago when I felt low I listened to Army and Justin Sullivan and these songs helped me.
do i drive
or am i driven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

My heart goes out to the boys. Whatever you think of their musical talents, to lose so much that is personal and irreplacable is devastating. Hopefully not arson, or else the perpetrator might want to check the lyrics of the legendary Vengeance ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Please don't let this turn into another Amy Winehouse thread...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Orca
Road Kill

Garbageman

Well said Mr Fiend.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
paul
Overbomber

Damage Report:

UPDATE 30.12.11

We have lost our entire studio set-up - desk, microphones, recording gear etc - and many irreplaceable instruments including Michael's Tama and vintage Gretsch kits and Robert's priceless old Slingerland. Gone is Michael's entire snare drum collection, eight guitars including a Les Paul, the Phew that Dean plays live and a vintage Epiphone acoustic, a 1960s C3 Hammond organ, a harmonium, a vintage EDP Wasp synthesiser and a huge number of our most favourite instruments, large and small.

HOWEVER we were lucky that we had just returned from the short run of Christmas shows and that most of our touring equipment was still cased and stacked up. It is amazing what can be pulled out of totally melted flightcases and, with varying degrees of smoke and water damage, we have salvaged Justin's Lowden, his favourite SG and Vox AC30 and parts of Michael's touring kit while none of Marshall's guitars or Nelson's touring bass were in the studio at the time of the fire.

We are hoping that our Insurance claim will be relatively straightforward although it is too early to say for sure. Meanwhile, in the true 'Spirit Of The Mill', an army of volunteers helped us to fill five skips full of charred remains, while work has already begun on fixing the roof.

We would like to thank everyone who has written to us with messages of support and offers to loan gear. We have honestly been amazed and humbled by this response. Our gratitude and respect goes out to all of you. And lastly, but certainly not least, we'd like to thank the firefighters who contained the fire and saved the Mill (and even some of our equipment) in difficult and dangerous conditions.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Here's hoping the insurance company don't try a fast one.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell