Racism in football.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what's going on between Suarez and Evra.

I don't follow football but feel that I should know what the hell is going on.

Thanks very much!

Paul.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Depending on who's version you believe.

Evra claims that Suarez refered to him as a n**ger in a game late last year. Suarez claims that he actually used the term negrito, loosly translated as 'little black man' or 'black pygmy'. Suarez & Liverpool claim this isn't at all racist.....while the rest of the world tend to disagree!

As a result of an FA investigation, Suarez was banned for 8 games & when he returned today (against Manchester United) he refused to shake Evras hand, in the traditional pre-game handshake. Greater Manchester police confiscated hundreds of copies of an unoffical fans fanzine outside the game today, claiming that the cut out mask on the cover could cause offense to the travelling Liverpool fans. :innocent:

Give me one good reason
DeWinter

I did enjoy seeing Evra throw his arms heavenwards in a gesture worthy of a Greek dramatic actor who´s just had a loan called in by a German. I´ve never quite grasped why it´s worse being abused for your race than your appearance or any other reason. Then again, I´m not a cossetted manchild.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
snowey

Evra also admitted that he called Suarez's sister a c*nt in the same game.

It should never have got this far as if I was Suarez I would have been sent off for knocking Evra clean out a) for calling my sister a c*nt and b) for playing for Manchester Utd...lol.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Really? We're defending Suarez?

If I were the referee he'd have been red carded before the game even started for refusing to shake Evra's hand. Suarez should man up and admit what he said rather than trying to pretend it was all harmless banter. (See also John Terry and his racist abuse of Anton Ferdinand.)

It's hardly surprising that there's such a problem of racism in football when the players are being allowed to get away with it.

At some point, defenders of racists starts to look like racists themselves. Dalgliesh is dangerously close to this point, if he hasn't already passed it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

snowey wrote:Evra also admitted that he called Suarez's sister a c*nt in the same game.
In the eyes of the FA of course this is perfectly acceptable,Evra would only have crossed the line had he referred to her as a uraguayan c**t.

And now,refusing to shake the hand of a man that you don't like is racist?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
DeWinter

Oh, he's not a nice person but calling someone a nasty name isnt as bad as spit roasting drunk underage girls, betraying your wife with elderly whores,or snapping your wifes fingers in front of your children. Nobody got as high and mighty over those escapades as they are over this. You'd think Suarez burned down an orphanage if you listened to some people.
snowey

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist!

John Terry on the other hand!!!
DeWinter

Can you call someone an insult based on their race and NOT be racist? I always thought that's what racism actually was.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Football fans are the equivalent of old deluded Soviet types going 'see that Joe Stalin, he was just misunderstood.' We can't defend Suarez, presuming he had a fair hearing as we can't (and am a Chelsea fan here) John Terry, if he's guilty. If they're contrite and realise what they've done is stupid we can forgive them though for the victim of their stupidity it obviously takes time. Am sure Stuart Pearce regrets what he said to Paul Ince. At least we hope so. Of course there is hypocrisy, If Glen Hoddle still believes disabled people are disabled because of some fault in a previous life then he shouldn't be England manager despite the calls for him to return as such. To some degree illusion is necessary to be a football fan (see Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds fans generally :twisted:) but this should be confined to their team's chances of winning something and not give tacit support to racism.
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:I´ve never quite grasped why it´s worse being abused for your race than your appearance or any other reason.
Because it implicitly insults all the other people of that race at the same time.
snowey wrote:Evra also admitted that he called Suarez's sister a c*nt in the same game.
Yeah if someone called me a [whoops, i did a racism] eight or nine times I might be tempted to retaliate.
ribbons69 wrote:And now,refusing to shake the hand of a man that you don't like is racist?
When it's someone that you've just served an eight match ban for racially abusing (and you're still defiantly unrepentant) I don't think it's too far of a leap to come to that conclusion.
DeWinter wrote:Oh, he's not a nice person but calling someone a nasty name isnt as bad as spit roasting drunk underage girls, betraying your wife with elderly whores,or snapping your wifes fingers in front of your children. Nobody got as high and mighty over those escapades as they are over this. You'd think Suarez burned down an orphanage if you listened to some people.
Agreed, footballers do a lot of nasty things. Changing the subject doesn't make racism any less deplorable.
snowey wrote:It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist!
Yeah well that's because the FA want to sweep it under the carpet and pretend that it's not a problem.
abridged wrote:If they're contrite and realise what they've done is stupid we can forgive them though for the victim of their stupidity it obviously takes time. .
Precisely. And as far as I can see, rather than being contrite Suarez is pretending that he's the victim in all this.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
snowey

Yeah if someone called me a n****r eight or nine times I might be tempted to retaliate.
[/quote]

If you believe what you read in the FA statement Evra called Suarez's sister "A C*nt" at the begining of the match.

Suarez called Evra a "negrito" which as Spiggy's Hat points out " loosly translated as 'little black man' or 'black pygmy".

In the area of Uraguay that Suarez is from the word is not taken in a racist way. I understand that in the UK it is, and has been, taken the wrong way and I'm sure Suarez didn't intend for it to be taken in a racist way. I'm sure if Suarez wanted to say a racist comment to Evra I'm sure he would have called him something a lot worse than that.

If the word offended black players why didn't Rio Fredinand say something to Suarez when they were all in the penalty area wainting for a corner to be taken??

I still stand by my point that Suarez should have just knocked him out for playing for Man U. :lol:
snowey

P.S. I don't support Liverpool. Just wanted to make the fact clear.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17004667

all that matters is the best team on the day won
Goths have feelings too
snowey

paint it black wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17004667

all that matters is the best team on the day won
Tranmere's game was off!!!...lol.

Which was a pity as I had a freebie thanks to work which included free beer and food...doh.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

snowey wrote:In the area of Uraguay that Suarez is from the word is not taken in a racist way. I understand that in the UK it is, and has been, taken the wrong way and I'm sure Suarez didn't intend for it to be taken in a racist way.
Aside from the fact that I don't believe that for a minute...

Then Suarez should have apologised rather than behaving like a petulant child.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

the most worrying aspect of this thread is: should snowey be letting his son type his responses on his behalf. Rarely have I seen such grammar (correct) as this :lol:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

paint it black wrote:the most worrying aspect of this thread is: should snowey be letting his son type his responses on his behalf. Rarely have I seen such grammar (correct) as this :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Image Image Image
snowey

Go f**k yourself Ez.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

snowey wrote:Go f**k yourself Ez.
That's just racist... or something.

:-P
—Bertrand Russell
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Aside from what happened on Saturday and completely aside from the whole race issue, I'd have loved it if Suarez just tw*tted Evra during the game.

Nowt to do with the rights and wrongs of what's gone on, I just hate Man United. :twisted:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
DeWinter

Speaking of football shenanigans, has anyone else enjoyed a quiet chuckle at Glasgow Rangers predicament? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, with the possible exception of Celtic and Leeds again!
abridged
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Speaking of football shenanigans, has anyone else enjoyed a quiet chuckle at Glasgow Rangers predicament? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, with the possible exception of Celtic and Leeds again!
Yep, if Rangers and Celtic ceased to exist life would be much better. We need Leeds though if only to laugh at and wonder how long before our Ken destroys them! ;D :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Debaser
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Speaking of football shenanigans, has anyone else enjoyed a quiet chuckle at Glasgow Rangers predicament? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, with the possible exception of Celtic and Leeds again!
How can their poor tax bill paying occur? Gaz uderpaid by £3.79 a few years ago and was politely informed immediately and then less politely two weeks later.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else