Which band/singer is better than the Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
nitestorm
Road Kill

well, its a sorta obsession really, she is sooo talented, i mean, she plays guitar, drums, keys, bass, percussion and that is how floodland was made, one person doing what he/she wants.
Oh and billy corgan has a good voice, but the only ppl i know who covered a sisters song, and i like it are paradise lost.
Not as good as Motorhead, but better than The Birthday Party, which makes us pretty damn good.
James Blast
Banned

I really like Paradise Lost, but I can't dig their version :|

I have a long standing problem with Sisters covers : Nature Should Not Be Tampered With and all that :|

sorry folks :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

Bands that cover Sisters tracks usually try to sound more Sisters than the Sisters. Not a bright idea. :urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
sultan2075
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I really like Paradise Lost, but I can't dig their version :|

I have a long standing problem with Sisters covers : Nature Should Not Be Tampered With and all that :|

sorry folks :|
I generally agree with you; however, I would submit that the Supersuckers, Lambchop and whoever did that version of Will I Dream? that Chairman BOX posted ("Not the Sisters," according to my mp3) are the exceptions to this rule. And the guy who did "Still" in the other thread did a good job. I can only assume that if Turbonegro or Motorhead, for example, submitted a Sisters tune to their tender mercies it would also rock prodigiously. I still maintain that the songs are good enough that anyone with a modicum of talent can do a good job; the problem is that the bands populating TSOM-tribute CD's are all very, very bad (well, Foetus is great, but that version of FALAA sounds like he put no effort into it), very, very stupid, and neither funny nor clever. In other words, their own material sucks, and what they do to other people's songs is just as bad. The Sisters should be covered by Good Bands, not darkling twits.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Me... well I am mostly listening to...

New Model Army
Thin Lizzy
Led Zeppelin

and... a confession... a fair few naughty recordings that show just how good The Mish live experience can be

*sacrilege... run to the hills*
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
aims
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:(well, Foetus is great, but that version of FALAA sounds like he put no effort into it)
Indeed. I'm inclined to ignore the fact that he's even heard of the Sisters :von:

Hell, if he'd even spat the lyrics disgustedly it would have increased the credibility of the cover ten fold. The arrangement itself, while not awesome, was fine. Even the relatively calm style on Mon Agony Douce would have fit better than whatever it was he was doing on FALAA.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Motz wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:(well, Foetus is great, but that version of FALAA sounds like he put no effort into it)
Indeed. I'm inclined to ignore the fact that he's even heard of the Sisters :von:

Hell, if he'd even spat the lyrics disgustedly it would have increased the credibility of the cover ten fold. The arrangement itself, while not awesome, was fine. Even the relatively calm style on Mon Agony Douce would have fit better than whatever it was he was doing on FALAA.
Really, anything would have been better. He's a genius composer and arranger, and this was so far below his usual standard that by comparison he might as well have gotten up one morning and arranged it while his coffee was brewing. He just didn't put any work into it at all.

That said, at least it wasn't the bad heavy metal and goth rock that tends to dominate those things. Ugh.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
twp
Amphetamine Filth

I generally agree with you; however, I would submit that the Supersuckers, Lambchop and whoever did that version of Will I Dream? that Chairman BOX posted ("Not the Sisters," according to my mp3) are the exceptions to this rule.
Funny you should mention that, I still listen to that version of Will I Dream?

1. Half Man Half Biscuit
2. New Model Army
3. Christy Moore

[/quote]
mancunin
Road Kill

interesting topic.

I love the Sisters but I equally love the Nephilim, Siouxsie, New Model Army, Joy Division, The Men They Couldn't Hang, The Long Ryders, Buddy Guy, BB King.....

and The m*****n.... couldn't really give a toss whether Eldritch and Hussey got on - I like songs by both (and equally there are things that I'm not that keen on).
mancunin
Road Kill

and I hadn't realised this topic was 6 years old ...... :D
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Leonard Cohen
The Chameleons
Motörhead

are up there with the Sisters.
lachert
Overbomber

limahl
long live rock'n'roll
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mancunin wrote:and I hadn't realised this topic was 6 years old ...... :D
:lol:

welcome anyway :notworthy: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Fields of the Nephilim, assuming we're talking similar genre.
But I would add only by each bands last album. The Neffs improved whilst Eldo's output declined in quality. The Sisters were still superior by Floodland, but by the time we had Elyzium and Vision Thing, The Sisters were producing cockrock in an attempt to break The States, whilst The Neffs were actually producing something original and putting on some truly awesome live shows.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Rob Halford :notworthy:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

there are a lot better bands these days but, i got sentiment for sissies (not that i'm listening sissies often).
abridged
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Fields of the Nephilim, assuming we're talking similar genre.
But I would add only by each bands last album. The Neffs improved whilst Eldo's output declined in quality. The Sisters were still superior by Floodland, but by the time we had Elyzium and Vision Thing, The Sisters were producing cockrock in an attempt to break The States, whilst The Neffs were actually producing something original and putting on some truly awesome live shows.
Would agree that the Nephilim were great live but they were essentially a very silly band, unless a person believes in that mystical nonsense. In comparison, Vision Thing, whatever you say about the music had some damn fine lyrical content. Possibly :von:'s best.
The Chancer Corporation
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Legendary Pink Dots
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Lambchop. Their version of This Corrosion does the trick quite nicely.
in dub we trust
GC
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote:
DeWinter wrote:Fields of the Nephilim, assuming we're talking similar genre.
Would agree that the Nephilim were great live but they were essentially a very silly band, unless a person believes in that mystical nonsense. In comparison, Vision Thing, whatever you say about the music had some damn fine lyrical content. Possibly :von:'s best.
The problem is with FOTN is that they've made their silliness quite plausible...and Vision Thing was essentially just a small blip on a downward spiral of productivity/art...(i still prefer the sisters though)
Being645
Above the Chemist

The Sisters of Mercy are The Sisters of Mercy. Original in everything they've done and do.
And so is Andrew Eldritch. From The Damage Done to Gift That Shines ... ;D :lol: ;D ...

Insofar, any comparisons are entirely absurd... :lol: ...
gallup
Road Kill

pink turns blue are pretty good and ehm...dead can dance...ehm :D
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sisters are SISTERS but of course there are other bands up there... Ramones, Einstürzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, The God Machine...
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
Being645
Above the Chemist

xfloorshowx wrote:Sisters are SISTERS but of course there are other bands up there... Ramones, Einstürzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, The God Machine...
... Motörhead ... ;D ...
There are loads of great bands and singers in the world, and even more wonderful songs.
All of them unique ... and a matter of taste rather than of comparison. Unless it comes to covers.
So far, and for my taste, I didn't find a single Sisters song covered better than the original ...
while on the other hand, The Sisters do and choose cover songs pretty well ... :wink:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

.... I wasn't overimpressed with their versions of "Pipeline" or "John, I'm Only Dancing".
But certainly their earlier covers are rather excellent.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives