Bauhaus: Art as Life

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

No, not that Bauhaus... The real Bauhaus :lol:

Bauhaus: Art as Life

3 May 2012 - 12 August 2012

Barbican Art Gallery
Barbican Centre
Silk Street London
EC2Y 8DS

http://www.barbican.org.uk/artgallery/e ... p?ID=12409
The biggest Bauhaus exhibition in the UK in over 40 years presents the modern world’s most famous art school. From expressionist beginnings to a pioneering model uniting art and technology, this London exhibition presents the Bauhaus’ utopian vision to change society in the aftermath of the First World War. Bauhaus: Art as Life explores the diverse artistic production that made up its turbulent fourteen-year history and delves into the subjects at the heart of the school: art, culture, life, politics and society, and the changing technology of the age.

Bauhaus: Art as Life will feature a rich array of painting, sculpture, design, architecture, film, photography, textiles, ceramics, theatre and installation. Exemplar works from such Bauhaus Masters as Josef and Anni Albers, Marianne Brandt, Marcel Breuer, Walter Gropius, Johannes Itten, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Hannes Meyer, László Moholy-Nagy, Oskar Schlemmer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Gunta Stölzl, will be presented alongside works by lesser-known Bauhaus artists and students.

The Bauhaus: Art as Life public programme also brings to London a host of workshops, talks, films and performances as well as a major Creative Learning initiative for the Bauhaus exhibition, the Art School Lab, an intensive two-week summer school held at the Barbican and led by leading practitioners from all artistic backgrounds.

Bauhaus: Art as Life is an extremely popular exhibition and as a result you may be asked to wait for entry during busy periods.
If you're in the area 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:No, not that Bauhaus... The real Bauhaus :lol:
mmmnnnnn lovely chairs and 'stuuuuffffff' me like
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
EvilBastard
Overbomber

There's Bauhaus, and then there's Bowwowwowhaus...

(you know, for those who like to go wild in the country)

The Neue Galerie has a great Bauhaus collection (and a gift shop to match - reproduction of hammered silver ashtray, a snip at $999.99), you should make some time for it next time you're on this side of 'tpond, Mr. Q.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

love to see that exhibition but it's not for my pocket at this point.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

EvilBastard wrote:There's Bauhaus, and then there's Bowwowwowhaus...

(you know, for those who like to go wild in the country)
You could of course also go for the Frank Lloyd Wright doghouse, if you're into that sort of thing :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Damn, would like to see that.
End of line.
Debaser
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:
The Neue Galerie has a great Bauhaus collection ].
What a mean thing to do I clicked it and I LIKED, now my life is incomplete - I 'need' one of those ashtrays with the trianglur hole in the top :notworthy:

And what's worse? We're off to the States in Aug, starting off in NY - there's already an invisible thread pulling to that shop.

EB - you're a terrible man
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:EB - you're a terrible man
You know, it's remarkable the number of people who appear surprised that I'm a terrible man. I mean, my handle's hardly a give-away, now is it?! :lol:

If you're in need of a drinking partner while you're here, let me know. Qaptain Quiff can vouch for me (although I think his missus is trying to keep us apart these days!) if that's any recommendation...

$3300+tax - you know you want one...
This cigar ashtray, designed by Koloman Moser, was produced by the Wiener Werkstätte nineteen times. The hammered surface, a technique typical of the Wiener Werkstätte, creates a fascinating play of light and serves as an indication of the maker's high level of skill. Additionally, the design's Constructivist geometric composition anticipates Cubism.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
spot778

Debaser wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
The Neue Galerie has a great Bauhaus collection ].
What a mean thing to do I clicked it and I LIKED, now my life is incomplete - I 'need' one of those ashtrays with the trianglur hole in the top :notworthy:

And what's worse? We're off to the States in Aug, starting off in NY - there's already an invisible thread pulling to that shop.

EB - you're a terrible man
Highly recommend the Neue galerie, if your a Klimt fan this is your mecca !
End of line.
Doktor Gott

It's rather good this.

Me and the wife went on a members' night (bit of a mistake since everyone turns up and it's busy as hell) and only got about 1/2 way through in about over an hour or so before having to leave because of cat/work responsibilities.

I'd heartily recommend it but seriously give it at least two hours to go through!

Thing that got me was the amount of fabrics on display, since it's a bit more niche than other design aspects.. that and the children's toys were the highlights for me so far..
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries