Alt-Fest 2014

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

After reading the comments about the Neph dates & being given "very short notice", thought I'd post this

http://www.alt-fest.com/

So far the lineup has

With more to be announced. Looks like they are gunning for a large crowd (50,000).
One note though. It appears to be a "crowd funded" project, so it may not even get off the ground.
Whatever, I guess some of you might be interested.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I am sure it is all lovely and wonderful but when you get old, miserable and cynical it does tend to read like a con.

..and what if you don't want the circus and would rather have better toilets instead do you get to vote?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
DrDoom
Road Kill

While I congratulate the organisers on trying to organise this, I have to say i'm a little sceptical if this will work.

Firstly having this event the week before Infest, the UK's longest running industrial festival, is bad timing. I don't see that many people doing both events so I can see the audience split across the two. If too many opt for alt fest, I could see that infest would no longer be viable and the scene could loose the event for ever, which would be a real same.

Secondly throughout the summer there are a number of similar festivals across Europe, these are very well run, attract plenty of big names, are just as accessible to get too as Kent and more importantly are not at the mercy to the UK summer weather. Anyone who has seen goths at download, reading, etc in the damp, cold windy UK summer will know they don't fair well.

Sorry, I just can't see them pulling off a 3 day festival

dd
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

50 000 punters? No chance.
The Bloodstock metal festival in Derbyshire in August has been going since 2001,firstly as an indoor event,and as a three day open air event for six years or so,and has had a few reasonably big names (for a Metal fest) playing,last year Alice Cooper was one of them,this year they have King Diamond,Lamb Of God and Slayer headling,and they'll hope to get 10 000 or so people,and they probably will.
An outdoor "alternative" fest,with the odd band like the Neffs playing I can see failing badly I'm afraid.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Interesting to see the Sisters trailing in 3rd in the poll for who punters want to see on the Goth stage, behind both the Neffs and the m*****n ..
Pista
Cureboi

Just went & checked the line up thus far

http://www.alt-fest.com/index.html

Not too shabby either.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
psichonaut
Overbomber

beeing 15 years younger, one day there could be interesting
Not interested in at least 2/3 of the bands playing, sometimes i wonder how a similar event can work and agree with who doubts
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Silver_Owl
The Don

Senser? :eek: I had no idea they were still going.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
ciazaera
Road Kill

This looks almost too good to be true, friends have already bought them but I'm waiting until nearer the time before I buy tickets. 50,000 does seem like quite an ambitious figure, I hope they can pull it off. Didn't Sonisphere collapse due to poor sales and they had KISS and The Neph (not musically related, I know) on the bill.
Any colour you like, so long as it's black. Unless it's a John Deere.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote:Senser? :eek: I had no idea they were still going.
I had no idea that 3/4 of this bands even exist. :eek: :lol:
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

We just returned home after attending the Gothic/Classic do in Leipzig which was a hoot.
We have booked tix to Alt Fest!! I am really hoping Sisters put in an appearance. There is a real issue for us at such a massive gig - I want to go to the industrial AND goth gigs, many of which will be on at the same time. My other half is 100% industrial though...
Anything that gives good choons a stage is good by me and I am not going to knock it.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Senser? :eek: I had no idea they were still going.
Indeed! Had Stacked Up on in the car some weeks ago. Still loved it :D

That first day looks quite good to me...
in dub we trust
Pista
Cureboi

I have it on good authority that Killing Joke are confirmed

:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Mav787
One life, all I need

I asked Alt-Fest to put The Sisters on the main stage as Saturday night headliners. They responded that they've put a deal in front of their management and its now with them to respond.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Mav787 wrote:I asked Alt-Fest to put The Sisters on the main stage as Saturday night headliners. They responded that they've put a deal in front of their management and its now with them to respond.
I wouldn't sit by the phone if I were them tbh.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote:
Mav787 wrote:I asked Alt-Fest to put The Sisters on the main stage as Saturday night headliners. They responded that they've put a deal in front of their management and its now with them to respond.
I wouldn't sit by the phone if I were them tbh.
:lol:
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
LyanvisAberrant

I'd bloody hope so.
Also, arranging travel etc at the moment. Anyone in/around northampton able to give me some advice? :lol: confused as to why there are 4 coach stations in said location and what one do I go to to be closest to said festival.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Pista
Cureboi

LyanvisAberrant wrote:
I'd bloody hope so.
Also, arranging travel etc at the moment. Anyone in/around northampton able to give me some advice? :lol: confused as to why there are 4 coach stations in said location and what one do I go to to be closest to said festival.
There is a travel section on the site
https://alt-fest.com/2014/index.php/info/89-camping

Any help? :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
LyanvisAberrant

Pista wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote:
I'd bloody hope so.
There is a travel section on the site
https://alt-fest.com/2014/index.php/info/89-camping

Any help? :)
yeah, cheers man :D looks like I (my girlfriend) will be buying tickets in January :) Hope to see everyone else there :D
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

according to Altfest on facebook, the Sisters will not play the festival because "the band felt it was not for them" ugh :(
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

what a surprise, now who could expect that something like turning down offer to play at this festival would happen? :roll: :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You were kidding yourselves if you ever thought the Sisters would ever play something like this.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

Not goff enough
psichonaut
Overbomber

Too goff instead
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

they played amphi fest so yes I assumed there might be a chance. it's a good thing you guys are such experts on what the f..ck is in Von's head. next time I turn around there will be a peer reviewed journal on this published by HLers