First And Last And Always Original Mixes

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

pikkrong wrote:Well, an idiot asks: is there ANY possibility to get the original versions on CD these days? :eek:
probably not brand new... :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
pikkrong
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
pikkrong wrote:Well, an idiot asks: is there ANY possibility to get the original versions on CD these days? :eek:
You mean... :?: eBay? an idiot continues asking: how could I know it's a CD with original mixes? :oops:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

pikkrong wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
You mean... :?: eBay? an idiot continues asking: how could I know it's a CD with original mixes? :oops:
well, thats the problem isnt it? :(

but i know that one or two members here have copies... maybe not for sale, but... :innocent:

and people: dont even THINK about weeding it! :D :D :D :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
taylor
Slight Overbomber

>I thought the original (vinyl) mix never made it to CD. The original CD >issue was the Jap version and the remastered CD was an amalgam of >whatever best version was still available, re EQed for that medium. Can >anyone confirm?

yes that's fine !
pikkrong
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
pikkrong wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: probably not brand new... :innocent:

but i know that one or two members here have copies... maybe not for sale, but... :innocent:
If any of them could send me a PM... :roll: :notworthy:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

pikkrong wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
pikkrong wrote: You mean... :?: eBay? an idiot continues asking: how could I know it's a CD with original mixes? :oops:

Mr P. possibly i can do something for you. I'm also transferring all Siouxsie 12"'s so maybe some of them too ;D
Goths have feelings too
pikkrong
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
pikkrong wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: well, thats the problem isnt it? :(

Mr P. possibly i can do something for you. I'm also transferring all Siouxsie 12"'s so maybe some of them too ;D
:notworthy:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

So mine is a non-vinyl, pre-92 remastered, jap mix. :(
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
mh
Above the Chemist

Hmmmm - Interesting demographics.

Seems that people fall mainly into one of two camps:

1) Those who have heard both versions and prefer the original.
2) Those who were unaware that there was an original.

Nobody is standing up for the remixes, nobody is actually defending them.

The game's afoot Watson!

So the next questions to be answered are:

1) What exactly happened?
2) Why did it happen?
3) Who allowed it to happen?

Given Von's notorious QC tendencies, it is doubtful if he would knowingly allow what we must assume (based on this admittedly limited sample) are generally regarded to be inferior mixes to be released, unless of course he had no choice in the matter.

So either he was unaware at the time that it had been done, or the original mixes were unavailable at the time, for whatever reason. The current relationship with East West means that the historical record will probably never be put right, and that the album as it was originally intended to be heard will solely exist as "archive material" in a small number of people's record collections.

Or perhaps it's merely because he still has a whole hive of bees in his bonnet over the fact that it was produced by someone else, and deliberately wants a bad version available?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

the original is way better, i transferred it from vinyl to cd ages ago. with clicks and crackles intact
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

I think only 4 tracks differed on the Japanese release:

Black Planet
Rock and a Hard Place
First and Last and Always
(One Other - Marian???)

So anyone with the original (pre 1992) CD has *most* of the LP in pure (sic) AAD 44.1 kHz format.
Loki

Thanks RK :P
Red_Kola wrote: AAD 44.1 kHz format.
:urff: :urff: :roll:
mh
Above the Chemist

NTTC was the fourth that was noticeably different. There's small differences in most of the others, like fade outs beginning earlier and stuff. Aside from that, the whole thing has been re-EQ'd with a different tonal balance, and is now very boomy and distant sounding, where the original was much more in-yer-face.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Quiff Boy wrote:bit if a headf*ck and need to be very very sober! :roll:
Bummer!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

From what I understand, Von didn't have a hell of a lot to do with the re-masters. Something to do with WEA "losing" some/all of the original master tapes I remember reading. Check UTR, I'm sure I read it in there somewhere.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Andy TG
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
Sexygoth wrote:
CellThree wrote: I haven't listened to my vinyl copy for years. Time to blow the dust off it I think!
There's no way in the world, you'd catch me listening to my sisters vinyls..........far too much of a wuss :D
Heh, I have two copies, one for listening to, and the gatefold one for staring lovingly at! :D
Just to mention that I have the same - A LP for playing and a Mint Gatefold Sleeve just for "Looking At"

I also have to CD's of FALAA - having bought the "orginal" in 1988 and the "Remastered" in 1992.

I was always disappointed that the "Reverse Drum Intro" from the LP is missing on both versions of the CD.

The 88 CD has Silver writing on Black background on the CD and the 92 CD has Black writing on a Silver (blank) background.

To me the "remasterd" version sounds "Cleaner".

My question is this who wanted the "remastered" version - Von or Warners or someone else - and Why bother to do a Re-master - was to make more Money from the "Fans" :eek:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:I have an original 1985 cassette of FALAA (which I've put onto a CD-R) - it pisses all over the CD version!

The original mix of No Time To Cry was on ASCOOB 'cause it was taken from the 12" single masters AFAIK...
@ Scardwell :notworthy:

I dont suppose you would like to offer this "version" as a *cough* "weed" would you old chap? :eek:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I'm afraid Mr Bux would have my guts for garters if I weeded that 'cause it's an official release...! :wink:
The Scene won't save you...
James Blast
Banned

Scardwel wrote:I'm afraid Mr Bux would have my guts for garters if I weeded that 'cause it's an official release...! :wink:
You could always put 2 second gaps or coughs inbetween the tracks, then it would reach legendary status and be discussed on HL <ducks> :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

LoL! "Digitally made an arse of in 2004" :wink:
The Scene won't save you...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

i've been busy / sad (strike through as appropriate). Listening to multiple versions at the same time is not good for the ears/ head (strike through as appropriate)...anyway... * times as declared on those formats - except Japanese which was sort of timed in places :wink:

For verification purposes

85 tape on PC - played against CD
CD - played against Jap
Jap - played against remix
remix - played against 85 tape on PC

-----

Ah ha. This might just open a can of worms :?

Original Version

Cassette, LP, Gatefold LP, Cd longbox version, picture disk

Black Planet - 4.27
Walk Away - 3.20
No Time to Cry - 3.54
A Rock... - 3.36
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

New Version

Elektra CD other Cds? can't find them right now :(

Black Planet - 4.35
Walk Away - 3.23
No Time to Cry - 3.53
A Rock... - 3.30
Marian (Version) - 5.41
FALAA - 4.11
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.06
Logic - 4.48
SKOS - 7.17

Japanese ( still messing with the detail... but ... to date )

Black Planet - 4.22 (different mix to old and new - dwell makes it around 4.35)
Walk Away - 3.23
No Time to Cry -
A Rock... - 3.36 (different mix to old and new )
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

1992 remaster

Black Planet - 4.27 (same as '85 mix but with dwell on the end)
Walk Away - 3.20
No Time to Cry - 3.54
A Rock... - 3.36
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

...and of course for those who are into the WEA mixes, there's a new kid on the block, Walk Away (Distance Mix) :innocent: :von:
Goths have feelings too
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

no, the 4 songs mentioned before are different, and as everyone says I agree, the vinyl s**t on the remastered version
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
mh
Above the Chemist

Hmmmm - this goes a certain way towards explaining things: http://myheartland.co.uk/gallery/detail ... age_id=188

Unfortunately, the plans to "put it right" resulted in another cock up!!!
Loki

mh wrote:Hmmmm - this goes a certain way towards explaining things: http://myheartland.co.uk/gallery/detail ... age_id=188

Unfortunately, the plans to "put it right" resulted in another cock up!!!
"As soon as possible" is another good one. Must be different timescales on Planet Von.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote: Original Version

Cassette, LP, Gatefold LP, Cd longbox version, picture disk
So there is a longbox (US, I presume) version of the CD which contains the original (Vinyl) mixes???

I think this is what a lot of people are trying to find out: Do the original mixes exist on CD.

Could you confirm. Cheers