It was 30 years ago today...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Eldo does Eurovision - UK'd Be The One (point)
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Above the Chemist

Gaijin wrote:By some strange coincidence I am looking for cd versions of this: http://sisterswiki.org/Ghost_Rider as I really like the version of Train on my 7".

It turns out the tracks are from this: http://sisterswiki.org/Mon,_11-Mar-1985.

Spooky.
http://sisterswiki.org/Mon,_11-Mar-1985 ... true ... I can't spot the difference ... :eek: :lol: ...
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Anyone want to share some memories of the album on this occasion?

I remember my friend who showed me this band in the first place, always used to put on First and Last and Always. I knew the whole album pretty much back to front before I even considered myself a fan, it was just "that cool 80s-as-hell sounding CD with the funny vocals" that my friend really liked. I too thought it was pretty good but it wasn't until some time later that it all really "clicked". I think the first song to draw me in was actually Heartland.

And favourite songs? Far and away the title track and POSSESSION for me. I think most of us here will be in agreement over the objective superiority of side 2 :notworthy: tracks 3 to 5 are blinders also of course
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I remember taping Marian from the radio. The DJ offered an opinion that Andrew's voice had been slowed down in the studio to reach such a low pitch. Since then I've wondered why it's called (Version), and where the 'standard' mix went to.

This same DJ would regularly open his show with a Sisters/m*****n triple play too, so for a few months as a teenager I was sat before the wireless on Sat/Sun nights with my finger on the pause button.

Radio has never been as cool since.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
mh
Above the Chemist

Gaijin wrote:Since then I've wondered why it's called (Version), and where the 'standard' mix went to.
It's a joke: http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen ... aqnorm.htm
There is no other version of 'Marian'. Traditionally, reggae instrumentals were called 'Songname - version', to denote the fact that there's no singing. 'Marian (version)' is simply a reference to the record company's complaint that the vocals on 'Marian' are far too quiet.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Eyes-like-Ice
Road Kill

it was 1985 and a cool classmate gave me the record in the playground. the next few weeks i wrote the lyrics of marian on the board waiting for the teacher.

good old times....
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

AdrenaChris wrote:And favourite songs? Far and away the title track and POSSESSION for me. I think most of us here will be in agreement over the objective superiority of side 2 :notworthy: tracks 3 to 5 are blinders also of course
Subjective, if you please! I've always much preferred side 1. Possession and Some Kind of Stranger bore me rigid.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i find it hard to compare FALAA to anything even floodland. for so long it was the only official longplayer by the sisters that it stands incomparable and alone in my heart. a fucking classic. :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

spiggymr7 wrote:Spex magazine April 85 ... April tour :)

another lovely share sir! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
i would truly love to see your collection one day. 8) :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

What would be great would be a "Best of Wayne era Sisters -no need for the Skip button" CD. My tracklisting would be :

1. Marian (version)
2. On The Wire
3. Emma (Peel Session)
4. Afterhours
5. Amphetamine Logic
6. Train
7. Some Kind of Stranger
8. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Wake)
Debaser
Overbomber

And reviewed in the oracle that was Smash Hits this week 30 years ago.

I'd paste the link I posted in General...but my fingers are tired
xx
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Great new review on The Quietus.
URL links button on here doesn't seem to be working but it is at
thequietus.com/articles/17433-sisters-o ... ays-review
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Great new review on The Quietus.
URL links button on here doesn't seem to be working but it is at
thequietus.com/articles/17433-sisters-o ... ays-review
Thanks for the link. That is indeed both, great and new ... and well done ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Debaser wrote:And reviewed in the oracle that was Smash Hits this week 30 years ago.

I'd paste the link I posted in General...but my fingers are tired
xx
If you can find a copy of Dave Dicksons Kerrang review I'll be eternally in your debt. Said review(and the album itself natch) genuinely changed my life.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise