The all new 'Who's Going Where and When' thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
markfiend wrote:Me and Kerry have tickets for Swans at the Ritz in Manchester on Sunday 09/10/16

Very excited
Expect INTENSE.

...and no headbanging now or Gira will come after you!
If you've not seen them before, I beg you to bring earplugs (preferably good musicians earplugs).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Is that what people do these days? Go to a gig and have earplugs in?
FAR OUT
sultan2075
Overbomber

Not necessarily any gig, but Swans? Yeah.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

bearskin wrote:Is that what people do these days? Go to a gig and have earplugs in?
FAR OUT
Doing something permanent to own body seems to be (for some) mark of these Times (tattoos, scarification, other sp~called modification of body), so i guess that some might like to cause hearing loss.
But seriously, Swans plays so loud gig that eardrumm buzz can stay for few days. I saw them few times; first time i didn't knew that is necesarilly, and simply forgot about my earplugs (yeah, i'm using this, but not all the times, mailny to indor gigs), i had to put fingers in my ears.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah we've been warned we'll need earplugs. Thanks.

My hearing is already pretty bad, I do think that I did permanent damage to it at gigs in my younger days.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I always wear earplugs because my ears are very important as an amateur mixing engineer. If you want to ruin your own ears into permanent damage, causing tinnitus, often leading to depression or even suicide because of the unbearable high tone, be my guest...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Alex66

I should be going to see Jah Wobble later this wk.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Swans was an awesome experience. I did wear earplugs but my ears are still ringing a little today!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:Swans was an awesome experience. I did wear earplugs but my ears are still ringing a little today!
Great aren't they? :D

I've never witnessed such extreme intensity at a gig before or after.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah. Intense is the word. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

In Swans i like(d) that by going to their gig you can (could) accuatly witness the proces of creating new songs/music or developing and changing songs that were recodered.
Taking the fact that it's anounced that after this tour Swans will gone (again) i don't know if it's still accurate. Anyhow that three times when i saw them was good expirience.
Pista
Cureboi

Bit after the fact, but I went to see The Cure last night in Budapest & they knocked it out of the park!
Got a Seventeen Seconds encore & a mainset bookended with Shake Dog Shake & Give Me It which had a light show not too dissimilar to a full on military assault with tracer fire with additional air cover..
Still buzzing today ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
limur

Pista wrote:Bit after the fact, but I went to see The Cure last night in Budapest & they knocked it out of the park!
Got a Seventeen Seconds encore & a mainset bookended with Shake Dog Shake & Give Me It which had a light show not too dissimilar to a full on military assault with tracer fire with additional air cover..
Still buzzing today ;D
I was nearly blinded by someone's (your?) periscope last night :lol:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
Pista
Cureboi

limur wrote:
Pista wrote:Bit after the fact, but I went to see The Cure last night in Budapest & they knocked it out of the park!
Still buzzing today ;D
I was nearly blinded by someone's (your?) periscope last night :lol:
That was Give Me It.
But the mic sensitivty on the phone made it sound like an explosion in a dustbin factory :lol:
Hoping there's some better YT clips of that one. It's....intense.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Was at the Aussie Floyd show at Leeds Arena last night.

Great tbh and the sound at that venue is fantastic.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
XidiouX

Went to see John Carpenter in Edinburgh last weekend - awesome gig and got to meet the crochety old bastard. Unforgettable evening.
christophe
Overbomber

friday I went to see this old fart.
https://www.facebook.com/MichielsenC/ph ... 0948810563
for those on Facebook, (I don't know if you have to be logged in to see)
Another Shade of You.
iesus
Overbomber

christophe wrote:friday I went to see this old fart.
https://www.facebook.com/MichielsenC/ph ... 0948810563
for those on Facebook, (I don't know if you have to be logged in to see)
photos are displayed even if you have not a fou-bou account :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
bearskin

markfiend wrote:Swans was an awesome experience. I did wear earplugs but my ears are still ringing a little today!
Has been a long time since I saw Swans but they were good even then. It was perhaps 1989 in CBGB, NYC.
Fuuny to think that along with the loudest gigs I've been to (Sugar or Leftfield for example spring to mind) was good ole Julian Cope on the Jehovahkill Tour.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Seen Swans a couple of weeks ago. Great of course, but of all the times I've seen them it was the weakest gig. I missed Thor Harris :(

Loudest gig I ever experienced was Eat Static in the late nineties I believe. So frakkin' loud I needed a week to recover...

Seen Tindersticks on Tuesday eve. Not loud, but very wonderfull :notworthy:

Next up: Blues Pills & Kadavar on the 11th. Yay!
in dub we trust
mh
Above the Chemist

Buzzcocks coming up on Saturday. It's almost an annual event now, probably the band I've seen most in recent years (after the Sisters, of course). Looking forward immensely to it! :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
bearskin

radiojamaica wrote: Loudest gig I ever experienced was Eat Static in the late nineties I believe. So frakkin' loud I needed a week to recover...
Yes! very loud and very very fantastic. First album is still played a lot to this day. At a similar time, Utah Saints and Supercharger were both also VERY loud (and a lot of fun).

As were Prodigy, who played Radio One Music Week, in Bristol in front of about 350 people in a converted Church (Trinity Centre for those who know) - warm up acts were Baby D and The Chemical Brothers. It was at the time when Prodigy were at the height of their popularity - I think Poison was the current single - and the ticket allowed entrance to a club night after the gig.. we had planned to stay out all night, but the gig was so intense we all just stumbled out and went home to bed by about 11pm.
Big Si
School Bully

radiojamaica wrote:Next up: Blues Pills & Kadavar on the 11th. Yay!
Saw them both last night mate. Blues Pills were fantastic. What a superb vocalist and "frontman" Elin is :D

Kadavar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhFFxt_SOvE

Blues Pills - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noS2ZJpIXjc
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Theatre of Hate @ Academy Manchester Sunday 6th Nov

Rhombus ,@ the Library Leeds Saturday 12th Nov

Big Country @ Brudenell Social Club Leeds Fri 18th Nov

Sisters of Murphy @ The Fenton pub Leeds Sat 19th Nov
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
radiojamaica
Overbomber

bearskin wrote:
radiojamaica wrote: Loudest gig I ever experienced was Eat Static in the late nineties I believe. So frakkin' loud I needed a week to recover...
Yes! very loud and very very fantastic. First album is still played a lot to this day. At a similar time, Utah Saints and Supercharger were both also VERY loud (and a lot of fun).

As were Prodigy, who played Radio One Music Week, in Bristol in front of about 350 people in a converted Church (Trinity Centre for those who know) - warm up acts were Baby D and The Chemical Brothers. It was at the time when Prodigy were at the height of their popularity - I think Poison was the current single - and the ticket allowed entrance to a club night after the gig.. we had planned to stay out all night, but the gig was so intense we all just stumbled out and went home to bed by about 11pm.
Ow yes, those days... First time I saw The Prodigy was also around that time, Jilted Generation was a bomb & No Good got maximum airplay. Then came the Poison single and they headlined the dancehall at Pukkelpop 95. Immense gig! Powercuts all the time and every bleeding' time they returned and fired up the crowd even more. Mad energy! Now that was a party alright 8) :notworthy:

Before them on the same stage The Chemical Brothers did their first gig in Belgium. They played like 30 minutes, stroboscopes the whole frakkin' time... just wow! I've seen them a couple of times on later tours, but never ever there was that excitement again. Big smile, thanx for reminding me
in dub we trust