Who's your number 2?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The Sisters are number 1. Who's your number 2? A joint No. 2 is allowed.

In my case:

Bauhaus/Peter Murphy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Depeche Mode
Suede

Can't choose among them.

Bowie is number 0, i.e. unarguably above The Sisters and everyone else.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Probably the Nephilim, with the following caveats:
a) never seem ‘em live
b) everything after Zoon is garbage.

But if you ask me tomorrow I’ll say Neubauten. On Monday it will be Ray Wylie Hubbard. By Thursday it will be Motörhead and by this time next week Mark Lanegan or PiL.

At the end of the day there’s too much good music out there to call anyone number one for very long. Von and the boys were on track to be number one in the late 90’s, but as they say “you snooze, you lose.�

The Varjak/Pearson/Sheehan Sisters would have made a great record.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

In no particular order...

Blondie
Motörhead
Wall Of Voodoo
Joy Division/New Order
Visage
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Top 4 after the Sisters
Bowie (although at times he’s #1)
Echo & the Bunnymen
Cocteau Twins
The Velvet Underground
pearson

XidiouX wrote:.

Bowie is number 0, i.e. unarguably above The Sisters and everyone else.
:notworthy:

behind the sisters:

motörhead
underworld
leonard cohen
kraftwerk
the cure
duran duran
some 80s and different kind of electronic music

and since two weeks:
frank sinatra
there's too much blood in my vodkastream

----------------adam pearson------------------
czuczu
Overbomber

These days? As much as I've loved them, it would take a miracle for them to ever get back to no. 1.
They're still top 20!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Sisters first; Motorhead second; then in joint 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th etc : New Model Army, Black Sabbath, Siouxsie, The Butthole Surfers, Crass, X-Ray Spex etc
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hard to say but these days it's probably James

At various points in the past it could have been the Chameleons, New Order or the Cure, depending on when you asked.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
czuczu
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:Hard to say but these days it's probably James
They are consistently great, both on tour and in the studio. Looking forward to their Xmas shenanigans with The Charlatans :)
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Richard Marx
Peter Cetera
Paul Carrack
feargel
Road Kill

The Chameleons
Joy Division
Bauhaus
and these days some german song writers (Hannes Wader for example)
mh
Above the Chemist

Theatre of Hate
Killing Joke
Adam and the Ants

I do like me some of the tribal stuff - on the whole "Cowboys and Indians" thing, I come down on the side of the Indians.

Also quite partial to the whole Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum axis, and related bands such as Loop.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Not sure I can play this one as I can't honestly put the Girls as my number one. OK I've seen every UK tour since 1982 and will troll along next time to a Leeds or Manca show as always. Were they ever my favourite live band, well I have to say that Thin Lizzy, NMA and Those Who Can't Be Named were usually better live.

I've bought virtually every release, often twice as CD replaced vinyl and play their tunes every week. I have an extensive bootleg collection too.

But they are still not my favourites. What I do credit them for though is opening my musical boundaries. When I first saw them I could see the familiar refetence points of Zep, Doors and Hawkwind in the maelstrom and this dragged me in to a musical trip I have enjoyed. Plus I have met some fab people on the way too.

So, not me faves at all, but I'll be there in 2019 and will buy the anticipated F**k Trump album too :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Swinnow wrote:Not sure I can play this one as I can't honestly put the Girls as my number one. OK I've seen every UK tour since 1982 and will troll along next time to a Leeds or Manca show as always. Were they ever my favourite live band, well I have to say that Thin Lizzy, NMA and Those Who Can't Be Named were usually better live.

I've bought virtually every release, often twice as CD replaced vinyl and play their tunes every week. I have an extensive bootleg collection too.

But they are still not my favourites. What I do credit them for though is opening my musical boundaries. When I first saw them I could see the familiar refetence points of Zep, Doors and Hawkwind in the maelstrom and this dragged me in to a musical trip I have enjoyed. Plus I have met some fab people on the way too.

So, not me faves at all, but I'll be there in 2019 and will buy the anticipated F**k Trump album too :lol:
never mind Chris, you get a (hypothetical) sticker for honesty! :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: never mind Chris, you get a (hypothetical) sticker for honesty! :wink:
Can I have a badge instead for my jacket lol.

"Unbeliever" :lol:

See you in 2019 my friend and we'll drown this petty difference in a few beers and a smoke x
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

George f**king Thorogood!
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Excepting that Stones and Zep are my all time favorites (they alternate as 1 and 2 and right now The Stones have the edge), really every band/artist in what I would say is my top 10 holds a nearly equal place for me, and they are:

The Sisters
Midnight Oil
The Cult/DC/SDC
Peter Murphy/Bauhaus
The Cure
Duran Duran
The Furs
Julian Cope/The Teardrop Explodes
Roxy Music

But I find myself in a sudden Sisters phase that finds me viewing as many gigs, both new and old, that I can find. I just found a superb recording of the show that was my first Sisters show in Philadelphia from 1997's Dark Harvest at The Electric Factory. I'm not sure I fully appreciated at the time how good that show really was. Hoping they'll come back to The States soon. I skipped the 2008 tour not realizing at the time they wouldn't be back any time soon.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I was at that show in Philly - flew up from Texas for it. It was unreal.

I was the guy in blue jeans and white t-shirt :innocent:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ruffers
Overbomber

I've avoided answering this as it keeps changing.

The Cure keep coming up though along with The Nephilim (with Sultan's caveat - everything after Zoon is garbage)

I don't half enjoy a Chemical Brothers show though..
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:I was at that show in Philly - flew up from Texas for it. It was unreal.

Wow. That's dedication. But then I read accounts of people coming in from all corners as it was the only North American show and the first since the early '90s.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

CommodoreRock wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:I was at that show in Philly - flew up from Texas for it. It was unreal.

Wow. That's dedication. But then I read accounts of people coming in from all corners as it was the only North American show and the first since the early '90s.

I was there, too. Me and a buddy drove... from Los Angeles. :lol:
Holofernes
Road Kill

Just for sheer # of songs that I like across their portfolio (versus having just one or two great songs and a fair amount of meh);
probably Joy Division, The Nephilim, Death in June, Cure, Bauhaus/Murphy, VNV Nation... and more.

Depends on the mood.
godgirl

shivarising wrote:Richard Marx
Peter Cetera
Paul Carrack

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mine?

Manics
Suede
NMA
Pulp

the rest varies...

:D

Marge xxx
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

In no particular order:

Fields of the nephilim
The KLF
The Prodigy
Gary Numan
Joy Division
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Zacharias

Sisterhood?

Jokes aside.
Sonic Youth

and Dead Moon, Dead Kennedys, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds etc etc ad infinitum.

Something like that.
Burning 'cross the breeze.