"No Time To Cry" cover version

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Highway 101 Revisited
Road Kill

We have recently launched a Sisters or Mercy tribute band here in Southern California, the land of Highway 101, called "Black Planet". Here is a recording we made of "No Time To Cry".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ubZHTtxFc

The band is comprised of long time fans of TSOM. Back in 1990 two of us were in a Sisters influenced band called "The Violet Hour". Back then we would play these songs during rehearsal for fun. Now we will finally get a chance to perform them live.

Our debut show will be on 12/21/2019 (that's 21/12/2019 for our European friends).

Here's hoping there are some California fans on this forum that might be interested in our show. You can follow us on facebook at

http://facebook.com/blackplanettribute
Swinnow
Overbomber

Tee shirt looks cool :)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Ok i am going to be brutally honest. The music is fabulously spot-on. The arrangement and delivery sound great. The vocals i wasnt so keen on but it doesn't matter why and here's the reason it doesn't matter: It would be impossible to sound just like Andrew. Many have tried, some have come close and all have failed.
BUT -The Sisters Of Murphy -The Smurphs- who are in my opinion the finest Sisters tribute band going, have had more than one singer and neither were Eldritch clones but both had the FEEL of Andrew down pat. in fact of the 2 the one who acheived that best, sounded least like Eldritch.

well done, have fun and dont take it too seriously (just like the band.) :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Highway 101 Revisited
Road Kill

It was inspired by, what I believe to be, the Dallas Cowboys jersey that Gary Marx was pictured in (hence the number 33) while in Ghost Dance.

Even though the song Wide Receiver was, to my knowledge, written by Andrew, I still thought it made for an interesting avatar.
Swinnow
Overbomber

So, Marx is why it triggered a liking. He once threatened to hit me when I wore a Redskins shirt that an American friend had bought me on a birthday, knowing I was a true Red.

Agree with what my friend EMWK says above. Smurphs maybe have the same irreverence, which might be one of those utterly bastard groovy northern English things.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

Welcome to Heartland.
Let's hear your version of YCBTO ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Highway 101 Revisited
Road Kill

We like post FALAA songs but we are sticking to '85 and earlier material. We also recorded a cover of Marian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJDtth0ADjs

Funny you should mention the Smurphs. We also have a tribute to Siouxsie and The Banshees, called The Happy Haus. The name was influenced by The Sisters of Murphy because I thought the name was a nod to Peter "Murphy" for no apparent reason. I followed suit and created a mash-up of the Bauhaus logo with Siouxsie eyes for no reason other than I liked both bands. Some people were confused so we stopped using it.

Being645
Above the Chemist

Welcome, Highway 101 Revisited ... not bad. And as others said before, in general it's better not to try to near the original vocals.
However, to me it sounds quite ok the way you've done it ... especially for people who've never heard the orignal ... :) ...

Good luck at your project ... :D ...
An
Amphetamine Filth

I like it. Good vocals, maybe the german part in Marian could be a bit better;-) Good guitars too.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Highway 101 Revisited wrote:
Funny you should mention the Smurphs. We also have a tribute to Siouxsie and The Banshees, called The Happy Haus. The name was influenced by The Sisters of Murphy because I thought the name was a nod to Peter "Murphy" for no apparent reason.
I’m sure Murphy’s is a tribute to Irish stout.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Nice sound btw and cool name Highway 101 Revisited!