!!Media alert!! Punk & New Wave Years on BBC4 6/11/2020

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Looks like it could be worth watching/ setting the DVDR for.

Two shows.
9pm GMT: Punk and New Wave Years with Annie Nightingale
Annie Nightingale led the way as Radio 1's first female DJ and introduced a generation to exciting new sounds as the face of the Old Grey Whistle Test from 1978. Back then, punk was hard to find on mainstream television and Annie sought to build a platform for young people to have their say.

In this programme, Annie opens up the archive to select some of the finest and most intriguing moments from this era. Covering punk, post-punk and new wave, Annie has chosen to explore a movement in music that became the soundtrack to a generation.

The programme includes The Damned’s set-smashing performance on The Old Grey Whistle Test and the Sex Pistols' anarchic trip on the Thames. It also features powerful live performances from Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Gang of Four, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Tubeway Army, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Soft Cell, The Selecter, Joy Division and the Au Pairs. In addition, there are gems from The New York Dolls, The Fall, Blondie, Pete Shelley, The Police, Devo, X-Ray Spex, Klaus Nomi, Laurie Anderson and many more.

Annie is full of great anecdotes and her wealth of knowledge drives a compelling narrative in a programme that features rare footage and many stellar acts who graced the Old Grey Whistle Test studio during Annie’s reign.
10pm GMT: More Punk and New Wave Compiled by Annie Nightingale
Annie Nightingale, Radio 1's first female DJ, has compiled a stellar playlist of some of the finest punk and new wave moments from the 70s and early 80s.

This handpicked compilation features rare archive footage from The Slits, The Raincoats and Rhoda Dakar, as well as fantastic concert footage from Blondie and The Clash. Sprinkled throughout are live studio performances from The Old Grey Whistle Test, including a haunting performance of Ghosts by Japan, a classic Ramones clip and a rare John Foxx offering. The Teardrop Explodes and Tom Tom Club also feature, as do Adam Ant and Siouxsie Sioux.

Annie’s eclectic picks ensure a highly entertaining mix of popular punk and new wave favourites interwoven with some forgotten archive gems.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the heads up - looks like a good evening!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Pista
Cureboi

Just watched it & it's effing brilliant
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It was good thanks for the heads-up
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

On a similar note - if you have a mind to and the wherewithall (Sky Arts) have a gander at Guy Garvey: From the Vaults. There are some absolute gems and clips on there many that I've never seen: Teardrop Explodes being a case in point.

The issue, minor niggle, with the BBC4 stuff is generally they are all the same clips re-hashed with a different spin/presenter.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Great share, cheers @Pista. That is a very eclectic playlist. Gonna go watch it now as finish up some Friday ‘work’
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

This was so damn good. A great summary and blitz through the years. Loved the connection they made from the diy punk years to the synth driven new wave. At the time it felt s**t but hindsight is a wonderful thing

The damned drummer really didn’t like his kit did he. Siouxsie was incredible. The Ramones, the most NYC band ever, amazing. Lori Anderson, that song still gives me chills every time, such amazing prescient lyrics.

I noticed there was a part two. Not sure if it’s aired yet or was just a text article. Hope there’s more
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Pista
Cureboi

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 08:21
The damned drummer really didn’t like his kit did he.
You just knew where that performance was going the second the candelabra fell off the keyboard with all the candles still lit :lol:
There was a second part with footage from OGWT, TOTP & other stuff.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity