Inexplicable music blind spots

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:30 Aren't ears brilliant! REM are superb :lol:

Most of the bands mentioned so far have held my attention for at least 5 minutes (or approx 1 to 2 albums), but for no good reason besides musical blind spottery I've never given the remotest fk about Iron Maiden, regardless of holding absolute regard for at least 2 of their songs.
Agree fully, Iron Maiden and their brand of 'repeat to fade widdly widdly gee-tar rawk' defiles heavy rock music. It's a toss up as to whether Dickinson or Di'Anno were worst.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I know I'm probably going beyond the pale here but Motorhead were better in theory than actuality. Their rock antics were silly fun (at least in those days) but their output was just dull rock. :oops: On a similar note never really got the worship of Thin Lizzy or The Ramones. :twisted:
The Chancer Corporation
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I never got The Ramones either, and I cannot listen to REM.
Rap, hip-hop, grime, drum and bass all passed me by completely
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Swinnow wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 07:53
Planet Dave wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:30 Aren't ears brilliant! REM are superb :lol:

Most of the bands mentioned so far have held my attention for at least 5 minutes (or approx 1 to 2 albums), but for no good reason besides musical blind spottery I've never given the remotest fk about Iron Maiden, regardless of holding absolute regard for at least 2 of their songs.
Agree fully, Iron Maiden and their brand of 'repeat to fade widdly widdly gee-tar rawk' defiles heavy rock music. It's a toss up as to whether Dickinson or Di'Anno were worst.
Don't get me wrong Chris, I don't dislike them in the slightest, I just have never given them a seconds worth of attention when all my musical tastes instincts and inclinations lead me pretty much directly to their door.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Respect Dave regarding IM.

However others, Thin Lizzy were (by far) the best live rock band I ever saw. (Bad Rep in Liverpool Empire to Thunder n Lightning at Reading). Have to admit the coke n smack lead to Chinatown tour onwards being a bit wanky :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The March Violets are probably the main one for me - I've always wondered if their reputation came mostly from their live shows and you need to have been there at the time to really understand them.

Also Bowie, the Smiths, the Stooges/Iggy Pop and Bob Dylan
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The Buzzcocks - because I had never heard of them, away from the numbers in Germany. Quite nice actually, now that I listen to them... Well, never mind
GC
Slight Overbomber

Kutan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 21:49 The Buzzcocks - because I had never heard of them, away from the numbers in Germany. Quite nice actually, now that I listen to them... Well, never mind
Buzzcocks for me were always a bit of a strenuous listen.... that said Harmony in my Head and Ever Fallen... would be two of my fav songs ever.
mh
Above the Chemist

GC wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 23:00
Kutan wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 21:49 The Buzzcocks - because I had never heard of them, away from the numbers in Germany. Quite nice actually, now that I listen to them... Well, never mind
Buzzcocks for me were always a bit of a strenuous listen.... that said Harmony in my Head and Ever Fallen... would be two of my fav songs ever.
Buzzcocks are probably my 2nd or 3rd most-seen-live band, although I haven't seen them since Pete died. They're a bit of a funny one with me, in that I always preferred them live than recorded.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 13:37
Buzzcocks are probably my 2nd or 3rd most-seen-live band, although I haven't seen them since Pete died. They're a bit of a funny one with me, in that I always preferred them live than recorded.
Nearly the entirety of the post-rock genre is like that for me. Mono? Mogwai? Absolutely blinding live acts, but the records just bore me to death. Supersuckers' classic line-up was the same way, actually. A kid I worked with kept giving me their albums, and it just didn't click for me at all. Then he begged me to see them live, and they blew me away. It was one of those "ah, now I get it" moments.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

abridged wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 10:46 I know I'm probably going beyond the pale here but Motorhead were better in theory than actuality. Their rock antics were silly fun (at least in those days) but their output was just dull rock. :oops: On a similar note never really got the worship of Thin Lizzy or The Ramones. :twisted:
if you think the ra-drones are anywhere near Lizzy then you probably think Lemmy was boring too. oh. you do. carry on then "ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR!" :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

buzzcocks were a different (kitchen) beast on albums compared to going steady; probably the finest singles compilation ever. took me yonks to learn that. their first drummer is beyond. like Clem Burke league of unappreciated under-rated drummers IMO.
@GC harmony is top 5 of mine.

paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

jamiroquai never understood how he earned all them fast cars
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

Sparks.
Never seen the appeal & don't think I ever will
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

Pista wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 20:43 Sparks.
Never seen the appeal & don't think I ever will
I dont even like that song of theirs the banshees did

ReptileHause
Road Kill

The Beatles/The Stones/ Dylan

Boring, boring, boring.

I could spend the day listening to The Sisters version Gimme Shelter/Knocking on HD but I'd rather cut my ears of than listen to the originals.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 18:43 The Beatles/The Stones/ Dylan

Boring, boring, boring.

I could spend the day listening to The Sisters version Gimme Shelter/Knocking on HD but I'd rather cut my ears of than listen to the originals.
.... :lol: ... fully agree, well apart from The Beatles, sometimes ... oh, and let me add most of Led Zeppelin ... terrible over-sentimental hysteria ... though even worse is Joan Baez ... or Hannes Wader and more such stuff ... :lol: :lol: ...
ReptileHause
Road Kill

Zep! Oh God - Yes!!!
And they were so name checked by The Sisters. They were sooo dull, bloated and self important.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 20:03 Zep! Oh God - Yes!!!
And they were so name checked by The Sisters. They were sooo dull, bloated and self important.
And that's only the harmless part of it...
Oh, and did I forget to mention Leonard Cohen?
Of course, one has to respect his capacities, but hell, what's the result? Just a cruel standard bore....
mh
Above the Chemist

ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 18:43 The Beatles/The Stones/ Dylan

Boring, boring, boring.

I prefer the Beatles "Yeah Yeah Yeah" stuff to the later more serious stuff, as any right-thinking individual should.
ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 20:03 Zep! Oh God - Yes!!!
I think the point of the Sisters name-checking them was to be intentionally crass and rockist at a time when doing so would have annoyed the indie music press the most.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Been thinking about categorisation. I typically maintain mental buckets of artists based on roughly "how much of the back catalogue do I like?"

0. "None": many in this bucket I simply haven't explored. Example where I have had significant exposure and still don't like anything: Kenny G
1. "One Hit Wonders": only one song I like. e.g. The Eagles (Hotel California). Aaliyah (Try Again). Blondie (Maria)
2. "A Few Good Ones": a couple of good songs. Lotta bands in this bucket: The m*****n. Texas. Scooter. AC/DC. Blur. Blutengel. Smashing Pumpkins. I could go on for long.
3. "Greatest Hits": a good handful of songs, typically enough for one good compilation album. Also a busy category: Guns n Roses. James. Macc Ladds. Nirvana. Pantera. NIN. Nick Cave. Bob Dylan. Beetles. Rammstein. RHCP. Sting. etc. etc many more
4. "One Great Album": I like one album end to end, but not the rest of the catalog. e.g. Madonna (Ray Of Light), Tiamat (Skeleton Skeletron), Mango Groove (self titled), Shakira (Laundry Service), Eminem (The Eminem Show), Evanescence (Fallen)
5. "Multiple Great Albums": it's tough to get into this category. e.g. Nightwish, RATM, Metallica, Alice Cooper. Sirenia.
6. "Even the Bad Stuff Is Good": basically just TSOM

I guess your "blindspots" are areas these categories that differ greatly from the average for that artist.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
GC
Slight Overbomber

alanm wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 10:33 Been thinking about categorisation. I typically maintain mental buckets of artists based on roughly "how much of the back catalogue do I like?"

0. "None": many in this bucket I simply haven't explored. Example where I have had significant exposure and still don't like anything: Kenny G
1. "One Hit Wonders": only one song I like. e.g. The Eagles (Hotel California). Aaliyah (Try Again). Blondie (Maria)
2. "A Few Good Ones": a couple of good songs. Lotta bands in this bucket: The m*****n. Texas. Scooter. AC/DC. Blur. Blutengel. Smashing Pumpkins. I could go on for long.
3. "Greatest Hits": a good handful of songs, typically enough for one good compilation album. Also a busy category: Guns n Roses. James. Macc Ladds. Nirvana. Pantera. NIN. Nick Cave. Bob Dylan. Beetles. Rammstein. RHCP. Sting. etc. etc many more
4. "One Great Album": I like one album end to end, but not the rest of the catalog. e.g. Madonna (Ray Of Light), Tiamat (Skeleton Skeletron), Mango Groove (self titled), Shakira (Laundry Service), Eminem (The Eminem Show), Evanescence (Fallen)
5. "Multiple Great Albums": it's tough to get into this category. e.g. Nightwish, RATM, Metallica, Alice Cooper. Sirenia.
6. "Even the Bad Stuff Is Good": basically just TSOM

I guess your "blindspots" are areas these categories that differ greatly from the average for that artist.
Nice categorisation.... as you say Number 3 is the fullest for me too... I would however have GnR at number 4. Appetite For Destruction :)