Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

And an exclusive post card (unless you already have one or more from previous times).
Goths have feelings too
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Apart from the RFH bonanza (it sounds untidy to me) Giving Ground is slightly different with echo on voices that isn't on the original CD/LP. Possibly a rejected mix from the original sessions. One for the completist as real reviews like to say.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Pat wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 18:42 Apart from the RFH bonanza (it sounds untidy to me) Giving Ground is slightly different with echo on voices that isn't on the original CD/LP. Possibly a rejected mix from the original sessions. One for the completist as real reviews like to say.
I think GG is the single version. It's been many years however I think the cassette differs to the L.P on closer inspection. And now I only bother with the CD once in a blue moon, so no comparator. :?
Goths have feelings too
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

An extra minute of RFH is good with me. Even if it's much less, overall, than we were expecting.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
ruffers
Overbomber

Got mine yesterday and it looks very pretty, just need to dig the CD player out now.

One thing I'm sure we'll all find interesting is something which came up when I was researching what might be on there when we were promised remixes etc. I think we're aware of the fabled Fatboy Slim Remix of Finland Red Egypt White (as mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siste ... rock_band)) but it was news to me that a pedigree poodle born 3/3/2002 in Sweden was named, if I'm reading this right .... Sisterhood Fatboy Slim.

https://poodle.pedigreedatabaseonline.c ... ee/38818/i
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

ruffers wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 16:45 Got mine yesterday and it looks very pretty, just need to dig the CD player out now.

One thing I'm sure we'll all find interesting is something which came up when I was researching what might be on there when we were promised remixes etc. I think we're aware of the fabled Fatboy Slim Remix of Finland Red Egypt White (as mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siste ... rock_band)) but it was news to me that a pedigree poodle born 3/3/2002 in Sweden was named, if I'm reading this right .... Sisterhood Fatboy Slim.

https://poodle.pedigreedatabaseonline.c ... ee/38818/i
:lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
nomad
Amphetamine Filth

I've ordered one anyway, obvs.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

basically its a rough mix. GG is different with more chorus vocal , colours more long and other different times with difference equalizations
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

How curious that Cadiz don't have the wit to plug the alternate versions angle. I am interested NOW.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

Gaijin wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 13:34 How curious that Cadiz don't have the wit to plug the alternate versions angle. I am interested NOW.
I'm the same, I wasn't up for more of the same albeit in a shiny new sleeve, but I am up for something that is different from the orginal, even if it is only a bit different.

Maybe its the same as the MoFi version of Floodland?, they simply didn't know that they had alternate versions.
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So no-one at Cadiz compared the new master to the previous releases to check if they had s**t or shinola? 😂 😂
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Gift is now on Apple Music.
mh
Above the Chemist

It's on Spotify and Tidal as well.

Quite surprised at the abrupt ending to Rain From Heaven, first time hearing it and it is as if the tape suddenly ran out.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

Colours has an abrupt ending rather than a fade as well, which I haven't seen commented on before.

Overall I'd consider it a typical Sisters reissue cock-up, of curiosity value more than anything else.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dan
Overbomber

Youtube also.

EDIT: Ah the sudden endings of Colours & Rain From Heaven are kindof amusing. I guess we were never meant to hear those, "that can be fixed later, we'll fade it, yeah."
It proves that Cadiz were given some sort of master tape, but presumably it only had those takes on it and not the multiple takes and alternate versions and possibly even other songs that some of us had hoped might have been on it when they originally announced there were going to be some extras.
They originally said they were going to be autogaphed. Did they bail on that too?

Jihad

Colours

Giving Ground

Finland Red, Egypt White

Rain From Heaven
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

" Hello Andrew, this is Cadiz records, do you fancy autographing a few cds and lps for us? "

"No"
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
czuczu
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 17:31 " Hello Andrew, this is Cadiz records, do you fancy autographing a few cds and lps for us? "

"No"
I bet he's got a box of them under the bed, signed and ready for ebay when the leccy bill comes in.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Well the remaster is louder than the original CD, the extra bits in Giving Ground were interesting, the abrupt cut offs were annoying. The overall sound is clearer. It sounds like a little like the stereo has been widened a bit. Not bad overall. I'm tempted to add fadeouts to the end of Colours and Rain From Heaven though on my FLAC rips.

While I was in the mood I listened to the MFSL version of Floodland and finished it off with Sandstorm and Untitled. A good evenings work all in all.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Moderate Mick
Road Kill

So we have had the BBC sessions and the Cadiz version of Gift in recent years.
What next Wake released as an audio cd and download?
ReptileHause
Road Kill

Moderate Mick wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 11:46 So we have had the BBC sessions and the Cadiz version of Gift in recent years.
What next Wake released as an audio cd and download?
Let the debate on including the encore start now...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Ive just listened to this (albeit the yootoob rips) and its a fuckking disgrace really. For starters there are no 'extras'. We knew from the start that there wouldnt be much available in that bracket (because we -collectively at least- are Sisters officianado's extraordinnaire) but not even the 7" versions of Giving Ground! However lets forget the extras as i would argue that you dont even get "Gift"! Its a rough edit. Colours doesnt just fail to fade out it has a "tape's still running" noise on the end and Rain From Heaven is an abomination! I was stupidly tempted to buy this but Cadiz shouldnt be financially rewarded for lying to us and then making a pig's ear of it. f**k them and the 3-legged horse they rode in on.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

And here I was looking forward to having the album on Spotify. It's a sloppy job.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 02:24 Ive just listened to this (albeit the yootoob rips) and its a fuckking disgrace really. For starters there are no 'extras'. We knew from the start that there wouldnt be much available in that bracket (because we -collectively at least- are Sisters officianado's extraordinnaire) but not even the 7" versions of Giving Ground! However lets forget the extras as i would argue that you dont even get "Gift"! Its a rough edit. Colours doesnt just fail to fade out it has a "tape's still running" noise on the end and Rain From Heaven is an abomination! I was stupidly tempted to buy this but Cadiz shouldnt be financially rewarded for lying to us and then making a pig's ear of it. f**k them and the 3-legged horse they rode in on.
I think it's more likely to be Eldritch's fault. Cadiz can only work from the tapes they're given.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 14:13
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 02:24 Ive just listened to this (albeit the yootoob rips) and its a fuckking disgrace really. For starters there are no 'extras'. We knew from the start that there wouldnt be much available in that bracket (because we -collectively at least- are Sisters officianado's extraordinnaire) but not even the 7" versions of Giving Ground! However lets forget the extras as i would argue that you dont even get "Gift"! Its a rough edit. Colours doesnt just fail to fade out it has a "tape's still running" noise on the end and Rain From Heaven is an abomination! I was stupidly tempted to buy this but Cadiz shouldnt be financially rewarded for lying to us and then making a pig's ear of it. f**k them and the 3-legged horse they rode in on.
I think it's more likely to be Eldritch's fault. Cadiz can only work from the tapes they're given.
That's a fair point, and it might well be that the tapes that were found were not the actual masters that were used in 1986.

However, that only makes the version of Giving Ground used excusable. It doesn't make the failure to fade Colours or Rain From Heaven excusable; that smells like a basic failure of "we didn't even cross-check with the original release".

It feels churlish to complain. On one hand it's great that this album is available again, but it's a shame it's not putting it's best foot forward, and a crying shame that some basic mistakes were made.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 14:29 It doesn't make the failure to fade Colours or Rain From Heaven excusable; that smells like a basic failure of "we didn't even cross-check with the original release".

It feels churlish to complain. On one hand it's great that this album is available again, but it's a shame it's not putting it's best foot forward, and a crying shame that some basic mistakes were made.
It's not churlish. What you're describing is a kind of rank incompetence that makes me angry that I paid for it. I expected, at best, that there would be minor alterations from the original. I did not expect this half-assed failure to do even the slightest bit of due diligence on the final product. It's honestly one of my favorite Sisters-related records, it was definitely ahead of its time, and it deserves better than this cheap and tawdry cash-in.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.