Great albums with rubbish cover art

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Inspired by a recent pastFORWARD fark thread, I thought this might have some mileage/ kilometerage.

Is there an album you have, or know of that is truly a complete master work, but has the most dreadful cover art?

I'm kicking off with an obvious one for me (& maybe a lot of Hl-ers)

Have at it ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

I totally understand why you think that way, but at the same time, it's such an enduring and classic image in my mind that it doesn't actually bother me in the slightest. It just seems... right.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

I kinda like Eldritch and Pat's disembodied heads, floating around spookily over the moonlit murk.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

:lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ian1971 wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 18:22 I kinda like Eldritch and Pat's disembodied heads, floating around spookily over the moonlit murk.
Love the story that they spent evenings working on it, papers and art sprawled across the table as if a masterful work was being produced and... this was the result.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Rantz Hoseley
Road Kill

First - RE: Floodland - I f**king love that cover!

Second, there are SO MANY ALBUMS that are great that I slept on because the cover was so abysmal...

Huge Jethro Tull fan since I was in primary school, but I refused to listen to this one until my 30s because the cover was so awful... (It's now one of my favorites, but dear god the cover is an atrocity)

And then there is this one, which is a near perfect album that I FINALLY listened to at the beginning of the Pandemic because I couldn't get past how f**king awful the cover art was...
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 06 May 2023, 02:17 Image
:lol:
Yeah this one was quite stupid.
This place is death with walls
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

I'm just going to throw in the flip side - all the album covers for Yes are pieces of art. Roger Dean.

Oh and bad ones - most of the heavy metal albums i owned in the 80s except Most of the Iron Maiden ones.
This place is death with walls
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a very sad and uninspiring replacement album cover after this controverial one was banned.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: