2023-09-23 The Roundhouse, London, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

FireInReptileHouse wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 22:48 Even as the biggest apologist for what the band is and does now, and I did still enjoy this gig, it was a mess. No other way to put it. Is Dylan coming back? Will Chris come back when Ravey (all being well) comes back? It was another step closer to karaoke. Ben saved that. I don't know what else to say.
Well, I'm a Chris fan, I always say I'd rather having him in the band instead of Dylan, but that's not a very popular opinion around here due to all the 'good new songs they put out'.

Which is true btw, Dylan really helped pushing the envelope and we got some new bangers on the setlist, but I prefer a 2011~2014 setlist filled with odd covers, fancy instrumentals, FALAA stuff being played night after night and every now and then we'd be graced with some pre FALAA material.

Hope things get sorted, but I can't say I'd be disappointed if Davey gets back to his nursing duties and Mr catalyst returned to his position.

Crash and burn without his backing vocals ain't the same
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
FireInReptileHouse

Husek wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 22:55
FireInReptileHouse wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 22:48 Even as the biggest apologist for what the band is and does now, and I did still enjoy this gig, it was a mess. No other way to put it. Is Dylan coming back? Will Chris come back when Ravey (all being well) comes back? It was another step closer to karaoke. Ben saved that. I don't know what else to say.
Well, I'm a Chris fan, I always say I'd rather having him in the band instead of Dylan, but that's not a very popular opinion around here due to all the 'good new songs they put out'.

Which is true btw, Dylan really helped pushing the envelope and we got some new bangers on the setlist, but I prefer a 2011~2014 setlist filled with odd covers, fancy instrumentals, FALAA stuff being played night after night and every now and then we'd be graced with some pre FALAA material.

Hope things get sorted, but I can't say I'd be disappointed if Davey gets back to his nursing duties and Mr catalyst returned to his position.

All that I can understand just fine. I just don't really know where they go from here.
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
DJW
Road Kill

Odds of the new material ever seeing the light of day have drifted even further. If that was even possible.
bookish
Road Kill

They kicked off ~15 mins late, so I was wondering if something was amiss. Turns out they had one more mic than they needed.

Anyone know when it was clear they were playing as a 3?

That said … it was a bloody good show. You had to cut them a little slack on a couple of songs (Summer,
WYDSM) but bearing in mind the situation I thought they put on a good show. I had a much better time than I expected, and they went down a storm.

Caligula rocks live, huh.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Husek wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 22:55

Agreed.

Tonight's gig was excellent - all things considered. Much better than last night.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Much better than yesterday (which wouldn't be difficult to be fair) and they fixed for the most part the sound issues. It was obvious that Dylan was missing though they made a brave fist of it. Overall, a good show and enthusiastic audience.
The Chancer Corporation
Insomniaphd
Road Kill

FireInReptileHouse wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 23:04 All that I can understand just fine. I just don't really know where they go from here.
It’s all a great shame. I saw them twice in the US this summer. I enjoyed the shows in the States. I thought Dylan was good; also enjoyed meeting him after one of the shows.

With a will, I’m sure SoM will keep going as Von has had so many lineup changes over the decades.

It’s a shame this unfolded during a couple of performances in front of audiences of fans.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Was there any comment from the band on stage they were a man down?
mh
Above the Chemist

markreed wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 00:22 Was there any comment from the band on stage they were a man down?
Yes, Von made reference to it a few times. "well that happened", etc.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Insomniaphd
Road Kill

mh wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 00:33
markreed wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 00:22 Was there any comment from the band on stage they were a man down?
Yes, Von made reference to it a few times. "well that happened", etc.
You can’t really hide from something like this. You really need to acknowledge it on stage.
ruffers
Overbomber

He made a couple of comments at the end about it being different from what was expected, someone else can give the exact words.

Maybe it's just me but he almost sounded a bit apologetic?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
H. Blackrose

If Dylan's gone, will they

a) cancel the tour
b) draft in Chris Catalyst (does he know the post-2019 songs)
c) try to do it with only one guitarist

Either way, it will probably end my active TSOM fandom altogether. Dylan had given us all hope that there was a future. If he's gone - and people here are actually expressing nostalgia for the c. 2014 Sisters with the nostalgia setlist and random covers - then I think Von should be honest enough to declare game over.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
mh
Above the Chemist

The general feeling is that it's difficult to come back after what Dylan did on Friday night. He clearly wasn't happy at all, he spent the night poncing about on-stage, a good deal of responsibility for the shambles can be laid at his feet, and he drama-queened it with both us and Von. Anybody can have technical problems, but you don't do that.

I share the concern about what his permanent exit might mean for the recent momentum in the band.

There was almost certainly something else going on behind the scenes, probably for some time. Best case, he gets whatever it is that's going on in his head sorted, and gets himself back into Sisters mode. I'm likewise fond of Chris, but Dylan was the way forward and it's disappointing to see him self-destruct his role in the band in this kind of way.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
H. Blackrose

Were there signs that Dylan was unhappy before now?
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Well, i guess like Brussels gives almost everytime a unique expirience, London is on the polar side, sometimes it works but too many times not.
As for Dylan, i also hope it's just a temporary issue(s), because he has brought so many good things to the band, even though i'm not a fan of each and every song, but Eyes, On the beach, when I'm on fire, and we are here are top.
Good that i still didn't buy the ticket for gig in Pl, i'll watching how it's gonna develope and act accordingly.
Gothicbiff

My tuppence worth
I thought there were times when Andrew appeared distracted and didn't know what to do with himself. Regardless of the reasons for Dylan’s departure, it must have felt strange to Andrew, and Ben, to be on stage without him. But I think they did their best in the circumstances.
I still had a fabulous weekend with friends and met a few more fellow HLers :D

Let's see what Netherlands brings!!
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

mh wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 06:13 The general feeling is that it's difficult to come back after what Dylan did on Friday night. He clearly wasn't happy at all, he spent the night poncing about on-stage, a good deal of responsibility for the shambles can be laid at his feet, and he drama-queened it with both us and Von. Anybody can have technical problems, but you don't do that.

I share the concern about what his permanent exit might mean for the recent momentum in the band.

There was almost certainly something else going on behind the scenes, probably for some time. Best case, he gets whatever it is that's going on in his head sorted, and gets himself back into Sisters mode. I'm likewise fond of Chris, but Dylan was the way forward and it's disappointing to see him self-destruct his role in the band in this kind of way.
Somewhat share your views. On Friday, Dylan looked like a bad trip had him experience each and every Sisters song very directly in a new and rather cynical way leaving him no way for other views. While the rest of the band tried to get him out of that mess. Bad drugs, can happen to everyone. I'm still hoping for the best. It was obvious on Saturday, that he did not get fired. To the contrary. Everything - and everyone - was prepared for his return. Get over it, Dylan, please. s**t happens, but it's never the end of the day.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Here's hoping both Dylan and Dave come for the next one.

Wouldn't worry too much yet. Chris is the supersub.

If all else fails, the old gang with Von as Nurse would be interesting ;D
DJW
Road Kill

It would be interesting to see the printed set list. If Instrumental 86 was included it’s fair to assume they expected Dylan to appear.
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

copper wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:13 Here's hoping both Dylan and Dave come for the next one.

Wouldn't worry too much yet. Chris is the supersub.

If all else fails, the old gang with Von as Nurse would be interesting ;D
Just like the old days: Play a song -- pause to set the Doktor for the next song -- then play that song ;-)

Dylan's contributions to the band have been immense, but just like in a football team, you just don't let your lads down. Let alone the fans. Let's see how they will sort that out until Amsterdam.
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Gothicbiff

DJW wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:32 It would be interesting to see the printed set list. If Instrumental 86 was included it’s fair to assume they expected Dylan to appear.
There's a photo of setlist on FB. Instrumental 86 isn't on it
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd guess there were one or two last minute changes, hence the unrehearsed feel of some of the mid-set. Susanne in particular springing to mind.

I wonder was Giving Ground always meant to be included, or was it put in as a cheeky dig? "What you have lost can never be found".
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Before i write anything about the performance the inside word (from as early as the middle of the Saturday afternoon) was that Dylan is sacked. He was asked/told to leave the venue after being told to leave the stage on Friday night. our sources are very in-the-know and as it transpired bang-on correct. there was plenty of evidence to show that they had done a lot of work on The Doktor's track to fill out the sound around a single live guitar -ie. not just bunging extra guitar tracks on the backing- for example the Glockenspiel on Genevieve. the sound was generally far superior to the Friday so this was very clear to my ears (i was a lot more tired than the night before so i didnt bawl along as much and heard a lot of these extra sonic details.)
The playing of Giving Groundm, was pretty much proof of the nail in the coffin of the Dylan era.

i am predicting (no ITK source here just my considered opinion) that the rest of the tour will be Ben & Chris on guitars (whether this is Chris returning fully or simply for the tour who knows?) with Ravey returning to his role of Nurse when his wife is better -for which i'm sending love and best wishes x
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 24 Sep 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
bookish
Road Kill

Interesting, thanks.

But why is playing Giving Ground so significant?
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

bookish wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:16 Interesting, thanks.

But why is playing Giving Ground so significant?
„What you have lost can never be found“ …
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)