2023-09-23 The Roundhouse, London, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
po
Amphetamine Filth

I saw that other band this summer, after who knows how many cancellations and postponements. I expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised. They still can play and the show was really good. Doesn't make the songs any better though, and for me most of them are just boring (but I get that some have different views on that). I wouldn't travel to see them again though, or care much about it at all.

As long as the Sisters are touring, however, I will try to catch a show if I can. And unless they come back to Oslo I guess I'll have to travel then :) I feel bad about the aborted concert in Berlin, but thankfully we got a full show in Leipzig, and it was better than I expected from the new trio. I still enjoyed it a lot, and others seemed to as well. People will always complain, but if they keep buying tickets does it really matter? (:
09: Oslo / 11: Helsinki, Oslo / 12: Köln / 14: Amsterdam / 15: London / 17: London x2 / 19: London x2, Oslo / 22: Stockholm, Oslo / 23: Berlin, Leipzig
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

sharedgum wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 12:40
Incoming! wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 17:03 Many good parts of this show for me. Just keen on seeing them. Best was the playing of "When you don't hear me." Almost made me cry.

I cried non-stop during Steve Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing show. I was up front, and the band were looking at me with concern. Really sad time in my life. The lyrics just fit.
Happy that there is another Steven Wilson fan on here! ;)
:notworthy: Can you believe the bass player used to be in Kajagoogoo? He's freakin' amazing.
This place is death with walls

Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears
sharedgum
Road Kill

Incoming! wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 23:14
Incoming! wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 17:03 Many good parts of this show for me. Just keen on seeing them. Best was the playing of "When you don't hear me." Almost made me cry.

I cried non-stop during Steve Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing show. I was up front, and the band were looking at me with concern. Really sad time in my life. The lyrics just fit.
:notworthy: Can you believe the bass player used to be in Kajagoogoo? He's freakin' amazing.
Yeah, Nick Beggs really is great and quite a character, too! Wilson's new album, The Harmony Codex, just came out, and I am liking it so far. And to link this back to the Sisters since we are chatting about this on here :), 17 years ago or so, when I first heard Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree is one of Steven Wilson's bands, probably his main one), I thought that its vibe reminded me quite a bit of the Sisters. I know that his music can be VERY different from what the Sisters do, but there are certainly some similarities between them and Wilson's more industrial sounding tracks.
DungBeetle
Road Kill

The same crazy recognition when I discovered "Porcupine Tree's keyboard player is the guy from Japan?"
ruffers
Overbomber

Ellis Beggs and Howard Big Bubbles is a great song, if we're talking this diversion..
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

DungBeetle wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 20:25
The same crazy recognition when I discovered "Porcupine Tree's keyboard player is the guy from Japan?"
I did not know that. Like I was unprepared to see Steve Wilson play without shoes and socks.

Relationship to TSOM - Keyboardist and bassplayer and Steve Wilson are English . Just like the Sisters. And I was just in London, England to see the Sisters play.
This place is death with walls

Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears
sharedgum
Road Kill

DungBeetle wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 20:25
Richard Barbieri is fantastic, I love his soundscapes! Also, Wilson's current keyboard player toured with Miles Davis, and one of the guitar players he has used has been a major piece in one of Roger Waters' bands. I got nothing to try to tie this to the Sisters, so maybe the thread has officially been hijacked?
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

DungBeetle wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 18:51
godgirl wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 11:43 Indeed, not sure if @DungBeetle was writing positively of "the other team" or negatively in relation to TSOM.
Two completely different bands, the link is almost as helpful these days as comparing the ?live? ?recorded? output of SSS, GenX, EM or AAE with TSOM...

:roll:
The other team was enjoyable but, yes, now having seen them both the dynamics of a totally live band vs. one band delivering better material (IMO) with only the guitars and vocals live makes a comparison impossible.

My main issue was I finally give in to years... actually decades of "come to a Mish show" from those I've been friends with since the 80s... and look what happens to TSOM that very weekend. Cue Anakin Skywalker's "What have I done??" lament just after his turn to the Dark Side?

Yeah, we're TOTALLY blaming you personally for the happenings at Roundhouse, DungBeetle! Had you "kept the faith" everything would've been fine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, now at least you know, right?
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The text under Dylans blurry picture in the live section is now changed from "So that's happening" to "So that happend" so i guess he's officially out now. But instead of just removing the picture, Eldritch seems to want to make some sort of a statement and "rub it in", so Dylan really must have pissed him of. But then again, who bloody knows nowadays...
Kai is however not mentioned with one single word.

The rescheduled dates (but not the new ones yet) are also official now. Edit; the WERE. The are strangely enough removed from today.

https://www.thesistersofmercy.com/news/livenews.html
copper
Amphetamine Filth

The 2024 dates are back now, with a brief on Von's health.
He's not been well. We think he's getting better. We're deeply sorry about the sudden burst of inconvenience and disappointment.
I see Dylan's 'so that happened' is a way to acknowledge his departure, which is relevant considering his songwriting contributions.

Kai's a touring member for now. He may become a full member next year.