2023-10-27. Hard Club, Porto PT

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

dtsom wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 23:36 Brilliant gig. Sound superb( BEST in years)
Susanne.
Visión Thing and show me out
What a gig guys
8) :notworthy: :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Relieved to hear it was a good one :von:
And miraculously.... reports on FB also very positive! :eek:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 20:54 Stop being a knob Andrew, if you are not well cancel in advance
It says so much about the sheer entitlement of fandom that a performer can rip his own heart out to try to make the show go on, and he gets called a "knob" for it
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
vicus

Just saw a setlist on fb:

Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
Don't Drive on Ice
Ribbons
Alice
Summer
Dominion / Mother Russia
I Will Call You
Marian
Eyes of Caligula
(We Are The Same) Susanne
More
I Was Wrong
Here
Crash and Burn
On the Beach
When I'm on Fire

Lucretia my Reflection
Temple of Love
This Corrosion
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thanks got the updates, glad it was fantastic. already in bilbao, the alternative were schwanensee
love is just a shot away
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 06:31
ribbons69 wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 20:54 Stop being a knob Andrew, if you are not well cancel in advance
It says so much about the sheer entitlement of fandom that a performer can rip his own heart out to try to make the show go on, and he gets called a "knob" for it
Well, I've been paying ridiculous amounts of money to travel the length and breadth of the country for decades to see the Sisters and this is the first time I've been called " entitled" Next month I'm doing another three and let's be generous and pretend it's only going to cost two hundred pounds per gig, personally if they choose to cancel any of them I'd like to know before I pay for the hotel and burn more of my annual leave rather than cancelling when I'm actually in the venue.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Cotovia
Road Kill

I've seen the sisters many times but yesterday was on of the best for sure... astonishing...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Found some videos on YT, short and effective... ;D ... thanks to the uploaders ... :notworthy: ...

Doctor Jeep/Detonation Boulevard

Ribbons
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 09:36
Well, I've been paying ridiculous amounts of money to travel the length and breadth of the country for decades to see the Sisters
Many of us do/have done. As inconvenient as it may be, s**t happens. I get why people are annoyed, but some of the reactions have been exactly as Blackrose said - entitled. It's not as simple as "bald man can't be arsed and is forcing me wait at the venue on purpose". The will to get on stage has clearly been there, the ability is what's missing.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Dust Witch wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 14:17 The will to get on stage has clearly been there, the ability is what's missing.
So learn how to manage the ability and appreciate the cost in both financial and personal terms that the audience has to spend. When I saw they were touring for a straight 2 and a half months I thought that was too amibitious. People have to spend a lot of money these days to see a band, so the band should make sure they're on good form for the gigs. Yes, the occassional cancellation happens - but there is a limit.

Eldritch said in an interview around Floodland time that he didn't think audiences would want him to kill himself to perform. He's right - nobody wants that. So manage the tour schedule and length.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Being645
Above the Chemist

s**t can happen anytime, whatever your plans and preparations are ... :wink: ...

However, here's Marian ...

H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 09:36
Well, I've been paying ridiculous amounts of money to travel the length and breadth of the country for decades to see the Sisters and this is the first time I've been called " entitled" Next month I'm doing another three and let's be generous and pretend it's only going to cost two hundred pounds per gig, personally if they choose to cancel any of them I'd like to know before I pay for the hotel and burn more of my annual leave rather than cancelling when I'm actually in the venue.
The attitude of "I've paid my hard-earned money and therefore I get to tell the performer how to look after his health" is precisely what I mean by "entitlement"
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Gothicbiff

I'm supposed to be working overtime today but one of my programs has crashed
So using my downtime productively by watching the videos on the Wiki page :lol:

Kai definitely seems to be settling in and enjoying himself :D
Being645
Above the Chemist

Now, the full show is available ... thanks to Carlos Nunes ... oh hell, HAPPY HALLOWEEN ... ;D ;D ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Awesome, thanks for the link Sabine and many thanks to Carlos Nunes for filming and uploading it, superb quality :D :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Nice to see the old " United Federation of Planets" shirt has come out of the wardrobe again.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Above the Chemist

Another full show video, this one filmed by Eduardo Mourão ... :D :notworthy: ...

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Being645 wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 20:23 Another full show video, this one filmed by Eduardo Mourão ... :D :notworthy: ...

What the devil!?! Awesome, best go check it out, thanks for the linky Sabine and thanks muchly for filming and sharing Eduardo Mourao :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

edit : magnificent footage, a completely different angle and feel, basically now 2 superb and completely different recordings of a brilliant gig. Add Diego's and z666's audio to the collection, this is one hell of a well-documented superb Sisters gig 8) :D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Gothicbiff

So I now have 2 full shows to watch tomorrow night, thanks to Eduardo and Pascal
:notworthy: :notworthy: :D
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

The Dr Jeep/Det video... that's the best I've ever heard Dr Jeep live. The bass is spot on.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

I'll get to translating the review in a minute, first comment has to be highest of high praise for the frankly glorious website header 8) 8) 8) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: and it also now highlights the lack of devil-horn emoji on HL :lol:
Husek

Despite Hard Club being assured that the band was on-premises and 'everything is alright and will happen as planned', there was a general sense of uncertainty in the air -- after all, the night before the girls were also confirmed and fine on LAV, till Von isn't, having to go to rush into an ambulance and giving a brand new meaning to the expression 'canceled last minute'. But the audience, who packed the venue were true believers and everyone was there from the very beginning of The Virginmary's set. Well, being honest they weren't that for that purpose; even though the British duo has been touring for well over 17 years, the audience didn't have a euphoric reaction when they started the set with "The Meds", their punk-y rock and roll is played in such a soulful fashion that even those who don't know the band -- myself included -- is dragged to it and end up feeling like this is a show from my favourite band. Despite their lack of a Bassist on stage, that didn't stop me from recognizing their musical grandiosity nor let me feel the energy that they bring. They closed their set with "Bang Bang Bang" and we got the chance to hear their latest single "Where are you now?"

"Doctor Jeep"'s intro barely started and the whole venue went mental and the expectations were high.
If you ever went to a sisters gig or know their history, probably they surpassed your expectations. Otherwise, you probably left the building disappointed.
We go to concerts to live the songs we hear at home, to establish a connection with the band who play those songs -- except for the sisters. Or at least with Von; Ben and Kai loves posing, smiling, and interacting with the audience.
Going to a sisters show is going somewhere with a bunch of people you don't know to listen to the songs that marked their generation.
Von wasn't acting up nor look like he was being forced to be there, which surpassed the aforementioned expectations.
And judging by how the audience reacted throughout the gig, I dare to say they all felt the same.

It seems somebody started a rumor that Von is running playback these days. Honestly, I couldn't tell. But given how dark it was, a common characteristic of his gigs, and the fact I was being overflown with memories, I couldn't properly see his lips moving.
On the other hand, his timbre/tone is natural, he doesn't have to put a lot of effort into achieving it, he doesn't jump/move too much, and doesn't communicate with the audience (maybe a thank you here and there, but I can't confirm given his reputation!), so it's not that hard to keep his stamina.
So at 64 he still sounds like he's 21.

Right from the get-go I'll say that the Set lists posted over the internet are right, there was some modifications when compared to previous shows though, though it was the same power trio encore Lucretia/ToL/Disco. My Goth veins left the building pulsating of how happy I was.

(I can't really explain, but even that being my native language, the way this person writes is very... peculiar, weird sentencing, weird choice of words... anyhoo, it's a positive review);
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop