Happy Birthday Vision Thing - the Album

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

violet hour wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 12:09 Vision Thing live in Mexico City just before the pandemic went off. D/MR in Vegas this year was pretty fun too, even beyond the entertaiment factor of just seeing him perform there of all places :D

For me, More has good bones, and excellent lyrics, but overall too bombastic and it shadowed what could have been a really strong track. IWW is infinitely better than SF. Ribbons is the perennial favourite for good reason, for me, one particular line hasn't dated so well imho but still love the song. And yes back in my dj days I'd yell INCOMING before dropping it :lol:

DJ just irritates me. WYDSM I like as a sleeper track, it's not trying to be something else. DB was kind of nothing until I visited Reno, now it's hard to not have the association when you saw the neon sign for the El Dorado from your room :lol:

YCBTO has some fun intentional satire/silly lyrical moments but the song itself isn't good at all
Hello and welcome!

Nice avatar! :D 8)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 15:12 It's interesting that while some kind of rough consensus exists for the other 2 LPs
Everybody else thinks FALAA is nonsense turgid sub-bauhaus twaddle too? That surprises me.

:innocent: :twisted: :kiss:

(of course I jest, though it is by a distance my least favourite of the Holy Trinity)
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
violet hour
Road Kill

Planet Dave wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 12:40 ^ nice first post, welcome to :hl:
Thanks, meant to just say hi somewhere first but opinions happened :lol:
violet hour
Road Kill

Charlie wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 15:07 Hello and welcome!

Nice avatar! :D 8)
Thanks! The owls are not what they seem
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

H. Blackrose wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 00:56
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 15:21 More has great lyrics.
That's 80% the work of Jim Steinman (Von rewrote the second half of the last verse)
didnt know that, thanks.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 11:30
H. Blackrose wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 00:56
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 15:21 More has great lyrics.
That's 80% the work of Jim Steinman (Von rewrote the second half of the last verse)
didnt know that, thanks.
Me neither. Any sources?
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"Half the lyrics aren't there any more because they were... illegal. It was originally: wise up, motherf***er. Now it's a hybrid of mine and Jim's, so I'm at somewhat of a loss when answering for it." - Eldritch to MELODY MAKER - 6 October 1990

My guess is that Meat Loaf's version of the tune has the original Steinman lyrics, which only differ in the second half of the last verse. (It is possible that it's the other way around, Steinman editing Eldritch's lyrics, but I can't imagine Big Jim writing about counterfeit dollars or the English zloty)
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Ah thanks, the interview quote is typical ... :lol: ... but it doesn't say Steinman wrote the lyrics.
To the contrary, I think Andrew wrote them and then Steinman was called to changed them, which he die, but into a not so clear direction.

Hearing the Meat Loaf version sung by Steinman ... well, that sounds in no way convincing, like he didn't really know what he was on about apart from a fast breakfast ... low quality, little effort... and exactly ... counterfeiting dollars, not to mention English Zloty, just won't resonate with the person singing there ...and yeah, that was the point when I just couldn't listen to that stuff any longer ... *shiver ... :urff: ...

So no. Eldritch wrote the lyrics but they were ... a bit harshly formulated in parts so Steinman was asked to insert some of his touch, but hell ... it nearly became a totally different song by only a few words ... although the last verse turned the corner again towards somewhere ...

Hihi, maybe I'm perfectly wrong ... :lol: ... but that's my guess. Anyway, I like the lyrics of More, though looking at them now, I can imagine at least three different songs emerging from them ...
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

Eldritch wrote the verses to More.

"I Need All The Love That I Can't Get To" and its variations are Jim's, as is the riff.

He's used them elsewhere - a couple of times, I believe, but most embarrasingly, here. The lyrical changes in the Meat Loaf version are likely just to de-politicise it I suspect.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Fallon wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 12:14 Eldritch wrote the verses to More.

"I Need All The Love That I Can't Get To" and its variations are Jim's, as is the riff.

He's used them elsewhere - a couple of times, I believe, but most embarrasingly, here. The lyrical changes in the Meat Loaf version are likely just to de-politicise it I suspect.
Yeah, no counterfeit dollars there ... :lol: :lol: ... well and nothing apart from some poorly drama beyond the above line, at all ... and this in combination with a singing cat, ok...
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Fallon wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 12:14 Eldritch wrote the verses to More.

Thank you, on reflection that's more plausible than my theory. Which means Meat Loaf actually sang Andrew Eldritch's words, which just blows my mind.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Rantz Hoseley
Road Kill

I realize it's heresy, but I agree with you... don't HATE FALAA, and I own it, but I rarely listen to it.
Planet Dave wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 15:19
mh wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 15:12 It's interesting that while some kind of rough consensus exists for the other 2 LPs
Everybody else thinks FALAA is nonsense turgid sub-bauhaus twaddle too? That surprises me.

(of course I jest, though it is by a distance my least favourite of the Holy Trinity)
sultan2075
Overbomber

Rantz Hoseley wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 19:45 I realize it's heresy, but I agree with you... don't HATE FALAA, and I own it, but I rarely listen to it.

I mostly agree with Von's assessment - some great songs, but iffy production.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

sultan2075 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 15:13
Rantz Hoseley wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 19:45 I realize it's heresy, but I agree with you... don't HATE FALAA, and I own it, but I rarely listen to it.

I mostly agree with Von's assessment - some great songs, but iffy production.
I've suspected for some time that the main reason Von dislikes the production is because he didn't do it.

On the other hand he kinda has a point, and the 4 songs he remixed for the original 1985 release bear it out: these are significantly different, more lively, more energetic, punchier, than the more common "Japanese mixes" versions. Likewise the NTTC B sides have the old Sisters pep in their step that's missing from much of the LP.

I think Possession probably shows it at it's worst. It's a great song, but swamped in murk and gimmicky effects that almost instantly date it. Compare with how they used to do it live for what it should really sound like. It's a shame that Dave Allen's original desire to replicate the live sound on the LP was never realized.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 19:42

On the other hand he kinda has a point, and the 4 songs he remixed for the original 1985 release bear it out: these are significantly different, more lively, more energetic, punchier, than the more common "Japanese mixes" versions. Likewise the NTTC B sides have the old Sisters pep in their step that's missing from much of the LP.
I agree with this entirely.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Esoterica
Road Kill

Meatloaf’s version of “More” feels like half-measures and spare parts, at least to me. Tinny and lacking power. And if you’re gonna dance, you’ll need all the bombast that you can’t get to. Have you ever noticed how people get crazy at concerts, and then later, (when they’re chillin’) they can practically recite all of the lyrics! What I love about VT is that it shows a completely different side of TSOM.
ruffers
Overbomber

I never really liked the album until I played it on a 2 am drive down the motorway in summer with the roof open and the windows down, then it all made sense.
Also, depending what day it is, I Was Wrong is quote often my single favourite Sisters track, especially the lyric.
Chucking another log on