Kai as a permanent member

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
maggieloveshopey
Road Kill

Big fan of Kai, I think their energy and enthusiasm on stage is great for the band. I also had a brief chat with them the day before the Bristol gig, and they seemed dead nice and friendly. I'd be very happy if they stick around for a bit.
Fallon
Road Kill

I love Kai's falsettos and I think they're an unusual stage presence for this band, both of which are compelling reasons for a longer-term role in the band. I think that the Sisters ought to get a bit stranger with each evolution.

But with no disrespect intended, Esprit D'Air are not my idea of a good band, and I don't really know how much I'd welcome songwriting contributions from Kai in the Sisters.
mh
Above the Chemist

I think the Sisters work best when they've one guitarist playing chugga-lugga-lugga and the other guitarist playing clean, melodic stuff. They didn't always have that (the clean, melodic stuff) with Chris and Dylan, but they do with Kai.

That probably over-simplifies what Kai brings to the band, and it's only part of it anyway. His energy and enthusiasm onstage is quite remarkable and has to be seen. I've seen him go clattering into Eldritch and almost knock him over, tonight he knocked over Ben's mic stand and Chris had to do emergency roadie.

That's still only part of it. There's a sense of really strong cameraderie about the band, it's clear that the members like each other, and their recent troubles have bonded them as a unit, rather than cause tension.

Overall there is a sense that the band have turned a corner, and I'd hope Kai stays.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ruffers and I met Ben after show. Paul did ask if Kai was permanent. Ben's answer was that he didn't know. But then, he wouldn't have told us anything different anyway! So who knows
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
g44fr
Road Kill

Kai said that he will be with the sisters in January (post on instagram). Good news
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Dylan updated his Insta bio to read "Writer/guitarist The Sisters of Mercy 2019-2023."

So that happened. Looks like he's permanently out.
Ocean Moves

Another thing that happened since Chris left, which may or may not be a coincidence, is that we have less FALAA/pre-falaa songs being played and we don't have ridiculous covers (I miss them immensely) anymore.
I feel the same way.

Fallon said "I think that the Sisters ought to get a bit stranger with each evolution."
Personally, I think they stopped being strange a long time ago.

In the last 15 years - (i.e. Ben era onwards) compared to old, the band image, choice of cover versions (and lack of) - is all rather straight laced Rock and roll for boys in my view.

I don't want to hear two boys banging out surfing tunes - I want Irony and androgyny. I want Jolene, Confide in Me or some other mean and ambiguous number.

Sadly, I feel those days are over. Ben might be a lovely guy, but to be frank his understanding of the Sisters was always Vision Thing era as the starting point.

He often looks more like a session guitarist for Bon Jovi, and in the early days, sounded like one. There, I've said it - don't mean to be nasty, but it's what I've always thought.

(this isn't to say I don't love Dylans new songs, I think they're sounding great.)
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yet it sounds a bit nasty @Ocean Moves. But i guess you're missing how much his guitar style has changed over the time, from full guitar wanking to knowing when to use pause, letting the air play its role.
Fallon
Road Kill

Ocean Moves wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 22:19
Another thing that happened since Chris left, which may or may not be a coincidence, is that we have less FALAA/pre-falaa songs being played and we don't have ridiculous covers (I miss them immensely) anymore.
I feel the same way.

Fallon said "I think that the Sisters ought to get a bit stranger with each evolution."
Personally, I think they stopped being strange a long time ago.

In the last 15 years - (i.e. Ben era onwards) compared to old, the band image, choice of cover versions (and lack of) - is all rather straight laced Rock and roll for boys in my view.

I don't want to hear two boys banging out surfing tunes - I want Irony and androgyny. I want Jolene, Confide in Me or some other mean and ambiguous number.

Sadly, I feel those days are over. Ben might be a lovely guy, but to be frank his understanding of the Sisters was always Vision Thing era as the starting point.

He often looks more like a session guitarist for Bon Jovi, and in the early days, sounded like one. There, I've said it - don't mean to be nasty, but it's what I've always thought.

(this isn't to say I don't love Dylans new songs, I think they're sounding great.)
I don't think it makes sense to define what the Sisters "should" be, and I don't think it makes sense to frame it in terms of who understands the band best. I'd posit that Ben isn't doing anything that Von isn't comfortable endorsing.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

If Von would not accept that Ben is doing, Ben would have left the ship long time ago.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 09:32 Yet it sounds a bit nasty @Ocean Moves. But i guess you're missing how much his guitar style has changed over the time, from full guitar wanking to knowing when to use pause, letting the air play its role.
Yes, I agree - he's become much more subtle and nuanced a player over time. I've really come to appreciate him.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ruffers
Overbomber

He (Ben) has said much the same thing himself in interviews
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

New-new-new songs speak for themselves.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

markreed wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 21:59 Dylan updated his Insta bio to read "Writer/guitarist The Sisters of Mercy 2019-2023."

Apology wasn't accepted
Goths have feelings too
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Kai is probably cheaper
Goths have feelings too
sultan2075
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 14:54
markreed wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 21:59 Dylan updated his Insta bio to read "Writer/guitarist The Sisters of Mercy 2019-2023."

Apology wasn't accepted
I assume it to very much have been a "straw that broke the camel's back" sort of thing. Von has always struck me as a pretty deliberative person, and I can't imagine him firing a guy on stage on the first night of the tour unless there had been a lot leading up to it.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

The Sisters belong to Andrew & whilst he can be quite fluid with SOME of the currents & eddies caused by his evolving & changing personnel nothing happens that doesnt make him happy. The creative surge of the Dylan era was embraced by Von but i daresay mainly because he was struggling with his aging vocal chords on some of the older stuff. the new material solves that problem but he clearly wasnt bothered by the lack of new material during the Chris/Christo era.

"Funny" covers were fair enough whebn he was releasing records (or pretending to) but if i'm getting a 70-80 min set i wasn to hear Sisters songs.

Does anyone know how Raveys wife is? Presuming she will be fine sooner or later i guess he will want his job as Nurse back. Chris has made no secret of wanting his old job back & after helping them out of the shit this tour i'd have thought he wiould be first choice. HOWEVER ,,could we perhaps see him as a bass player ? That would shut all yuz whinging up I know... :innocent: :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Live bass? Tony James please :twisted:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Fallon
Road Kill

Planet Dave wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 19:30 Live bass? Tony James please :twisted:
Now there's a post-punk question for the ages. Would TJ make more money rejoining the Sisters than he does in Generation Sex? Inquiring minds want to know!
GC
Slight Overbomber

Fallon wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 20:06
Planet Dave wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 19:30 Live bass? Tony James please :twisted:
Now there's a post-punk question for the ages. Would TJ make more money rejoining the Sisters than he does in Generation Sex? Inquiring minds want to know!
The reviews for Gen Sex have been terrible.. he may as well switch. Oh hold on..........
eastmidswhizzkid

Tony James is so shit! Go listen to Reading '91 & the cunt cant play Lucretia!

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 22:39 Tony James is so shit! Go listen to Reading '91 & the cunt cant play Lucretia!
Yes but he has a wonderful knack of annoying the fk out of people :twisted:

Fear not, there's as much chance of them getting a drummer as a bassist.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 22:44
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 22:39 Tony James is so shit! Go listen to Reading '91 & the cunt cant play Lucretia!
Yes but he has a wonderful knack of annoying the fk out of people :twisted:

Fear not, there's as much chance of them getting a drummer as a bassist.
you know there are cuns out there -professed fans of the band btw- who insist The Sisters Of Mercy would be BETTER witha drummer! these people are plain fucking amoeba.

H. Blackrose

Ocean Moves wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 22:19 I don't want to hear two boys banging out surfing tunes - I want Irony and androgyny.

:kiss:
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
H. Blackrose

He sounds fine on Miami 1991. But I only want him back if he plays the Space baSSS.

Honestly can't believe the people in this thread who are *angry* that the Sisters are playing new material rather than nostalgia from 1985 and joke covers! You should meet the people who're angry for precisely the opposite reason from Facebook. Maybe in a steel cage with whips.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."