2024-01-28. Effenaar, Eindhoven, NL

Are we still here!? Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2024 tour.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 22:00 I expect the farcebook groups are all kicking off already.
Seriously Andrew. Take a break & please get yourself well.
There doesn't seem to be the usual extreme level of vitriol on FB....yet. And at least there are no more sneakily taken invasive photos or videos.
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

He really needs to look after himself.

Eventually, there will be the last gig. I hope it's not for a long time, but it has to happen. In theory, it could have already happened.

That would be a real shame, as man the last few years have been great. I think he should go spend six months building himself up - mentally OR physically, whichever is most pressing. Then do it properly.

Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

Again, ideally not for a long time. But time ultimately doesn't give a s**t about career symmetry or how we'd like things to be.
ruffers
Overbomber

The man clearly needs a proper break. Didn't he refer to his health somewhere between songs in the last few days also, something like "things take time to recover, as we're findng out?"

It's hard enough accepting aging when you're in a regular life - when you spend 90 minutes on stage in front of a couple fo thousand people saying how great you are it's got to effect how you feel, at least with pressure to keep it up but also in matters of perception. Alongside that it's not a massive operation but he effectively employs what, a dozen people on a tour and it's their livelihoods we're impacting and the pressures grow.
See you in the summer, couple of nights at AB and 3 atThe Roundhouse in autumn with the Virgin Marys. Thank you.

Have a rest Andrew.
Last edited by ruffers on 29 Jan 2024, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 01:11
This has often been my fear even before the October illness, that there will be no preplanned farewell, that Von will carry on until he drops. I still absolutely wish against everything that this will happen, but I have thought this before, and I'm sure many others have. Go home, get well, give us a lovely three nighter at the roundhouse with everything you've got then go and enjoy some retirement and relaxation. Something like that.
Dunno, even before the entire illness cancellation affair, I've given this some thought (as he's mid 60s now, and I don't take him as a Mick Jagger kind of guy in this respect), and I'm almost sure there will be no designated farewell tour (uncertain future at the moment not considered). The idea just doesn't occur to fit in with my perception of how Andrew handles stuff. But on the other hand, he's always good for a surprise.

Right now, I second what my previous posters said. For now, this can't go on like this. He might lose whatever health he got left, plus the trust of audiences and (can't be stressed enough) promoters.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yup, he should take a break, (re-)build himself, find balance. But that's one side of the story, other are people, I doubt he's not aware of his issues (whatever the source are), then he should respect audience, because now attending to TSOM gig is a lottery.

Yet ultimately it's the promoters trust at stake, because there are plenty lunatics, some even blind and deaf, following him enough to fill small and mid-size venues.

And I don't think there will be a great rock'n' roll swindle called farewell tour, there will be just an end of touring, although I guess some will read between the line by the name of the tour or other signs :wink: .
DJW
Road Kill

As well as unsettling the promoters, we can’t assume Ben’s patience is unlimited. I know guitarists come and go but Ben has been a huge stabilising influence over the years, not least in the recruitment for the role of second guitarist!
Gift
Road Kill

dinky daisy wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 09:40 Ghost would a better name for this band.
They've already got one of the members.
Gift
Road Kill

Bartek wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 16:35 Actually two :wink:
For some reason I knew about Chris but not about Ben.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Gift wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 16:45
Bartek wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 16:35 Actually two :wink:
For some reason I knew about Chris but not about Ben.
I got the impression he only did it for a short while. Certainly nothing like Chris.

Anyone know for sure?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

True, it was just part of the tour, or the whole leg, AFAIK, but I can't recall details now.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'd agree that it's about time for a thank-you-and-goodbye residency. Maybe to mark the 40th anniversary of the Wake show. But I still dream of a live album from the 2019-2024 shows. I know he records them all, and the new songs deserve it. Such a pity he couldn't use "Summer" or "Crash and Burn" because Pearson's a weirdo.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
oldmonkey
Road Kill

Just been reading through all the concerned posts about Gent/Eindhoven cancellations (this isn't my first post ever, but cannot remember my old login, but I'm not a big poster, more of a flyer, but have done 40 years active service down the front).

What's worrying me most is that the pattern is becoming rather similar to two other singers who first arrived on the scene around the same time, who kept it going for year after year despite endless excesses, Mark E Smith and Ian McCulloch. MES lived on speed and pils, made it to 2018 before his third bout of cancer finished him. He was well known for the increasingly frequent inability to finish gigs, but paradoxically became determined to finish all the last few gigs even from a wheelchair when his last legs had already deserted him. Mac's coke and drink problem has now reached dangerous proportions and he can barely speak let alone sing, and has started on the last minute or even during gig cancellations.

Back in 1984-85 it was always The Fall, The Sisters and The Bunnymen on tour, with the odd burst of New Order gigs, and I was lucky enough to spend almost two years travelling up and down the UK watching them (carried it on for another 30 years with The Fall). The Fall in the last eighteen years was always very hit and miss, the Bunnies have been miss for about five years, and sadly there's little doubt to me that vocally Von is moving in the wrong direction at precisely the time there are a high quality bunch of newer songs to deliver.

I sincerely hope Von isn't in the same space, but I fear the worst. 40 years on the road is not good for you.
Firmly in the veteran category these days. First near meth experience was 21/01/1983 upstairs at the Fighting Cocks pub in Moseley, Birmingham. Chalked up 50 odd in the next two years but tend to make it an annual pilgrimage nowadays.
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Moved to June 10th.
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Ah, thank you for the update ... :) :notworthy: ... noted ...
Pista
Cureboi

New thread started for the new date.
I'm assuming the roll call will be slightly different?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
JFD
Road Kill

Hello;

As I talked about last time, there now a new date.

The canceled gig in the Netherlands to Eindhoven

It will be
Monday June 10
See on the Effenaar website

ENJOY