best TSOM karaoke option

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Let's say you've unwittingly ended up at a karaoke event and everyone is taking a turn. You can't sing for sh*t but you still wanna show off your favourite band.

Which Sisters song do you request?

I guess my thought process goes like this:
- mixed crowd means you want a mainstream choice that at least some people will recognise. Sorry Floorshow, Valentine, and others from EPs and B-sides.
- 5 minute duration max, 3 minutes is better. Sorry Lucretia. Anyway the longer songs tend to have way more lyrics that one wants to sing (looking at you ToL)
- family friendly. Sorry DLTS and Vision Thing. Possibly rules out Ribbons?
- not too whiney and emo? Sorry 1959, I Was Wrong.
- no German, sorry Marian

Browsing through what remains I think the top candidate is Detonation Boulevard. <4 minutes, standard 90's rock arrangement, lyrics not too challenging albeit a bit daft in places (but not Dr-Jeep-bad).
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Sandstorm

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Corrosion radio edit is ~4mins and hella main stream, no german, not whiny and family friendly.

I could make a case that Body Electric is the right song, but I'll settle with corrosion...or Sandstorm as Streamline said.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
DJW
Road Kill

It simply has to be YCBTO….
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I don't get it why Lucretia should be out - the version on Floodland is 4:57 long.

And Marian: could be easily learned phonetically, and will impress all your friends when you get it right (hey - it's just 3 different lines)
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

streamline wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:08Sandstorm
Or Phantom.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:11 Corrosion radio edit is ~4mins and hella main stream, no german, not whiny and family friendly.
Good shout, although I'd be concerned about the availability of the various shorter edits out there. For e.g. on Spotify I only see the shorter mix listed in various "80s" compilation albums - none of them with integrated lyrics.
Great option if it's there though.
Husek wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:11 I could make a case that Body Electric is the right song
I ruled it out as too unknown along with anything pre-FALAA. Other than that a decent option yeah. If I were going that era I would probably go with Heartland (although the repeat x40 outtro is awkward)
Kutan wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 01:03 I don't get it why Lucretia should be out - the version on Floodland is 4:57 long.
Good point. I was thinking of the Overbombing extended version. And unlike TC I do see the "vinyl version" listed in the streaming services at 5m. An excellent choice.
Kutan wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 01:03 And Marian: could be easily learned phonetically, and will impress all your friends when you get it right (hey - it's just 3 different lines)
Sure but that would take actual preparation work.
I can do the zulu bits from Juluka's Impi so I know what you mean though.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

When You Don't See Me?
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
oldmonkey
Road Kill

I got thrown out of a karaoke bar in Calais on my stag do for my rendition of Jolene. They must have been expecting Dolly.

Most Sisters stuff isn't on the standard karaoke packages, tends to be just This Corrosion and Temple of Love unfortunately. I did see Alice listed once though. Not that I am a regular kamikaze though ;)
Firmly in the veteran category these days. First near meth experience was 21/01/1983 upstairs at the Fighting Cocks pub in Moseley, Birmingham. Chalked up 50 odd in the next two years but tend to make it an annual pilgrimage nowadays.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

DJW wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:23 It simply has to be YCBTO….
YCBTO does tick a lot of boxes. But it's pretty obscure and you do have to sing the worst penis metaphor in the history of rock music.
Would work for the right crowd I think.
Jeremiah wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 20:51 When You Don't See Me?
Yeah agreed WYDSM is on my short list. I think Detonation Boulevard is an all round better option but not by much.
oldmonkey wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 21:16 I got thrown out of a karaoke bar in Calais on my stag do for my rendition of Jolene. They must have been expecting Dolly.
Well done sir!
oldmonkey wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 21:16 Most Sisters stuff isn't on the standard karaoke packages, tends to be just This Corrosion and Temple of Love unfortunately. I did see Alice listed once though. Not that I am a regular kamikaze though ;)
These days with Spotify and iTunes supporting "karaoke" mode there's a lot more options.
And a lot more chance of impromptu outbreaks of karaoke at random social events, as indeed inspired this post.
lilac
Road Kill

What about like Walk Away? catchy and won't weird people out too much
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

This Corrosion, all 10 minutes, not breaking eye contact, even the choir parts.

Serious Answer: Under the Gun would probably be a good duet if you had a buddy.
:von: Check out my Artwork: https://x.com/NicksArtCorner :von:
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

lilac wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 01:31 What about like Walk Away? catchy and won't weird people out too much
Not a bad option yeah, though maybe a little obscure. You could include most all the Hussey side of FALAA in that bucket.
Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:30 This Corrosion, all 10 minutes, not breaking eye contact, even the choir parts.
Reckon this is a good way to avoid future invitations and make the organiser regret their life choices.
Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:30 Serious Answer: Under the Gun would probably be a good duet if you had a buddy.
Truth, although you'd probably need prep and a partner who's also a Sisters fan. You'd need a setup two mic's as well I guess because the two vocal parts overlap (unlike many karaoke duets).