Riff Stealing

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

I burst out laughing when you sent me the name of the song on the xitters & I plugged it into youchoob.
It doesn't even sound accidental :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

Almost spit my precious coffee at office while trying to keep silent too. It was comical when i heard it first time :lol: :lol: ;D :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

Hear those pagans go go go go go...

eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

flakk13 wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 11:04 Hear those pagans go go go go go...

Imitation is only the sincerest form of flattery if it's ...well, FLATTERING! thats f**king bobbins.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
mh
Above the Chemist

Is that a familiar sounding drumbeat?

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Husek
Slight Overbomber

Uhh guys, this actually pre dates she's a monster by a couple of years, should we get worried about it?

Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
alanm
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 05:30 Uhh guys, this actually pre dates she's a monster by a couple of years, should we get worried about it?
Huh, that is... remarkably similar.

Hard to imagine Eldritch being familiar with this source material but you never know what the YT algo puts in his feed I guess.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
ruffers
Overbomber

Generally Von does words and the rest do music I believe.
That's virtually a cover but I'd be amazed if it was anything other than unconscious.

Might explain why we're never to hear it again though!
Last edited by ruffers on 26 Sep 2024, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Chucking another log on
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's a bit disturbing, and yet it's the second riff accident; first was the Killing Joke~ish sounding main riff of Arms.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Husek wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 05:30 Uhh guys, this actually pre dates she's a monster by a couple of years, should we get worried about it?
Given that they've only played the song once, my recommended answer to the question would be no.
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

It's pretty easy to imagine Ben or Dylan being familiar with a band of that type. That's a rather disappointing lift - I struggle with chalking it up to pure coincidence.
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

...then again, I just looked up another Miazma song called "Mary Gone Bad", and it will surprise precisely nobody to learn which band they pattern themselves after, in a fairly embarrassing way.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Well that's a bit obvious that in it's essence any genre at some - rather quick - point, will fall and stop to evolve, so copying from a certain band(s) is natural process, including style of singing, nonetheless it's interesting case, if true, that band who is an inspiration is borrowing from a band/act inspired by such band. Not first, not last, case, rather always.
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 11:40 In it's essence any genre at some - rather quick - point, will fall and stop to evolve
I don't think I've encountered a statement I've agreed with less in my life, I'm afraid.
Husek
Slight Overbomber

Fallon wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 10:01 ...then again, I just looked up another Miazma song called "Mary Gone Bad", and it will surprise precisely nobody to learn which band they pattern themselves after, in a fairly embarrassing way.
Well, they do consider themselves a band 'molded after SOM's Floodland' :lol:

I think this 'lift' might explain why we never heard about she's a monster again, considering that lyric-wise this is pretty much the same song.

Arms have a similar rhythm to Killing Joke's Millennium, but the riff does end differently, and their song goes to a completely different place on the chorus, now this? It's embarrassing.
Can you imagine you starting a band and not having much success whilst your heroes, the people you looked up to literally just got one of your songs and ran away with it? yikes.

I can safely say Von has nothing to do with that, considering how insistent he has been in the past decade on 'I don't listen to music nowadays, I just play it'. Also from past Interviews, we were able to figure out what the songwriting process looks like, Von often just brings the lyrics and will coordinate/change stuff after his guitarists bring something.

Ben has been in the band for longer than any other member (aside from Von and Dok ofc), I don't think he would lift something like that so blatantly and ruin his relationship with Von, and ofc, we know he can compose like nobody business considering his work with NbN or Diamond Black.

...Now speaking of people who don't care about his career or his relationship with Von with severe character flaws, this song has a third writer/composer innit, you know the air guitarist from Die Krupps. :innocent:
Project Personal Dok
ruffers
Overbomber

Husek writes what I did essentially, just with better detail :lol:

I struggle to think though that Dylan would have done this conciously. Given how strong a song writer he is he wouldn't need to for a start.
Chucking another log on
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Anyway, She's A Monster sounded great (i.e. way better than the above) and I'd love to hear it again... ;D :innocent: ...
Husek
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 15:39 Husek writes what I did essentially, just with better detail :lol:

I struggle to think though that Dylan would have done this conciously. Given how strong a song writer he is he wouldn't need to for a start.
I think Arms is a riff that can be lifted by accident.
But this? Hard to say 'it was not done in a conscious fashion', cuz the guitar riff is similar, the bass is identical, similar drums, same tempo, and the chorus goes to the exact same place.
Honestly when I first heard this song I was like 'Oh this is a 'can we have Shes a monster?', 'nah, we have it back home', shes a monster back home:. Turns out it was the other way around :?
Project Personal Dok
Husek
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 15:42 Anyway, She's A Monster sounded great (i.e. way better than the above) and I'd love to hear it again... ;D :innocent: ...
I really like that song, and I'd love to hear it again, especially if proper songwriting credits are acknowledged or if they simply come up with a brand new melody to their mumbled lyrics
Project Personal Dok
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Since it's Cure day, I always though George Michael completely ripped off the entire Close to Me for Faith. and nobody seemed to mind! :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Being645 wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 15:42 Anyway, She's A Monster sounded great (i.e. way better than the above) and I'd love to hear it again... ;D :innocent: ...
Sabine strikes back, again.
Even evidently stolen guitar by TSOM is better than everytying. :lol:

:kiss: Sabnie, peace'n'luv'n'healt
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Husek wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 15:49
I really like that song, and I'd love to hear it again, especially if proper songwriting credits are acknowledged or if they simply come up with a brand new melody to their mumbled lyrics
Well yes, mumbled ... but exactly that's why ... :lol: ... maybe next time the vocals are clear, given the current outcome ... ;D ...

Bartek wrote: 26 Sep 2024, 17:22
Sabine strikes back, again.
Even evidently stolen guitar by TSOM is better than everytying. :lol:

:kiss: Sabnie, peace'n'luv'n'health
Oh hell, Bartek ... thanks for the good wishes, though it looks I'm incurable ... :wink: ;D ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

How ironic that TSOM have unwittingly written a song that steals a riff from a band whose entire sound and song structures were based on them in the first place. This confirms my theory that Miazma were by far the best pastiche of The Sisters, but conspiracy theorists may note that the project seems to have disappeared since TSoM began writing new material again, leaving this wonderful album as their epitaph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdZIR8S3ho
alanm
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Was watching a movie on Netflix with the kids last night (Monster High 2).
At about 1:08:30 a very familiar riff suddenly lands: https://mega.nz/file/zAYEHKBC#4ARIfbewD ... ZgsY-KsF94

Looking into it this morning, the plot thickens. The OST does not include this track, nor does the fandom wiki, nor does pretty much every credits source I found.

Rolling the actual credits on Netflix turned up an additional song credit not included in the OST: "Robbery, Written by Chance Pena, Jordyn Dodd-Waddington & Peter Verdell, Performed by Dawdy"
Pretty sure that's this number, you can hear the title lyric.

Can't find a full track anywhere in Dawdy's Spotify or Youtube presence.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
PuppetTroops
Road Kill

alanm wrote: Yesterday, 09:48 Was watching a movie on Netflix with the kids last night (Monster High 2).
At about 1:08:30 a very familiar riff suddenly lands: https://mega.nz/file/zAYEHKBC#4ARIfbewD ... ZgsY-KsF94

Looking into it this morning, the plot thickens. The OST does not include this track, nor does the fandom wiki, nor does pretty much every credits source I found.

Rolling the actual credits on Netflix turned up an additional song credit not included in the OST: "Robbery, Written by Chance Pena, Jordyn Dodd-Waddington & Peter Verdell, Performed by Dawdy"
Pretty sure that's this number, you can hear the title lyric.

Can't find a full track anywhere in Dawdy's Spotify or Youtube presence.
That's sampling in a sort of rap-track, isn't it? The dr-jeepish start sounds cool though... Also liked the Nova Rockafella thing with the 1969 sample...